1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by caper, Jun 29, 2012.

1. caper

caper Member

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if the muppet fans wants their Muppets to be CGI like the teddy bear on the new Seth McFarlane's movie TED???

For me, I think that should be the future of the Muppets. It still looks like a stuffed animal and it doesn't look like CGI at all.

Muppets to me are like Living Stuffed Animals!! And that movie Ted made that stuffed animal come to life!!!

I take nothing away from the Muppet Performers. They are all great artists.

But with that CGI, all we need is a great voice to make those "Living Stuffed Animals" known as The Muppets come to life even more.

I feel if Jim Henson was still alive, he will appreciate the CGI of Ted and probably would turn his Muppets into this kind of media.

Anyone agrees?
  2. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

I just.....I can't.....NO!

The muppets are puppets. They interact in the real world. They are extensions of their performers. Kermit's actions and mannerisms are all from Steve's performance. That would all be replaced by an animators interpretation of Kermit. Plus you totally loose the ability for the muppets to interact with talk show hosts, do interviews, or make public appearances. The muppets are more than just characters on a screen.

Now what I would like to see us muppet babies get the cgi treatment on tv. They were primarily animated characters and I'd like to see them transformed into puppet looking cgi characters. For muppet babies it would work because we are use to seeing those characters from head to toe and using Puppets would be difficult. But the regular muppets are and always should be puppets.
  3. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

No... Just.... no.

No offense, but that would NOT be the Muppets.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  4. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

No, I just couldn't see the Muppets in CGI. It's just... wrong. Maybe if it were something entirely new, then yes. But with the Muppets... it's simply not right.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Not to be mean, but no. I have to agree with MWoO that the traditional puppetry is part of what makes the Muppets... well, "the Muppets". It just wouldn't work, and honestly, other than as a one-time experiment, I really doubt that Jim would have wanted the Muppets to be CGI characters.
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I could go with a big long thing about it, but I don't think I should even dignify it with that.

Simply put, a classic bunch of PUPPETS being forever replaced by CGI makes no sense no matter what. Sure, you can have the one off animated series, but that doesn't really count as anything BUT an animated series.

Though I'll wager more people have heard of Beany and Cecil as a cartoon series than as the Time for Beany Puppet series.
  7. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

It would get rid of the ability for the Muppets to improvise/do live appearances, which is arguably the biggest part of their charm. Ted can't do a talk show but Kermit can.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  8. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I want to even answer this with a response, but I will say...

No matter how "good" cgi is, it still looks jarring juxtaposed to stuff thats tangible. Also, Ted looks horrible.

Do we really want our muppets looking this?

[​IMG]

(Actually, Buzz is a decent quiz game, but the host up there needs to be killed with fire. He's even more disturbing moving)
  9. Cindy

Cindy Moderator Staff Member

While I have to admit that teddy bear on Ted looks really, really good for CGI, however I am with the consenus on this one - Muppets are not CGI.

Obviously CGI is a great tool and one that those in the "puppet" business have embraced. Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train are excellent examples of the right way to use CGI and to use it effectively. Taking an old medium such as puppetry and transforming it into something new would be like freeze drying a Thanksgiving dinner. All the parts are there but it just doesn't have the same effect.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  10. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say a BIG FAT NO!!! The realism would totally be gone!!! That's what makes them so special and great is they aren't CGI!! I ain't totally knocking CGI however with The Muppets DON'T TOUCH THEM! That's what makes them different is you can meet Kermit, you can shake his hand, give him a hug, you can't do that with CGI characters!!! As the saying goes "If it's not broke don't fix it!!!"

I could say so many more things on this but being this is a family thread and I don't wanna get banned I'll keep my mouth shut. :X
    Muppet fan 123 and Dominicboo1 like this.
  11. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I say "no" but also, surprisingly "yes!" This is why:

95% of the Muppets should always be live puppets. That's their magic. Anything else and their appearance seems to be "phoned in" and stale. However, Jim Henson's passion for CGI was growing. He was looking for ways to incorporate more of the technology in his works. I support use of CGI in some shots - i.e. musical numbers and connective pieces in scenes. I have no problem seeing the Muppets' feet or seeing them in masterfully rendered in CG. The only stipulation is that it shouldn't be a gimmick. It should cleverly be woven into the story. I'm not a purist if it means stifling the creative future of the Muppets. Still, I can't support abandoning their charm either. The Muppets are special and should always stay that way.

I do feel that the Muppet team will likely incorporate some performance capture puppetry composite shots in the future.
  12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

No. The Muppets should not be CGI. I believe Jason or somebody involved with the movie said this in a pre-movie interview - You can't hug a CG character. They're not real. Kermit, you can hug. He may be fictional, but he's a real, tangible character.
  13. Pinkflower7783

Video anyone? Just saying. Obviously I think most of us know Jim was very much into technology and the way it was evolving during that time but I still believe even to this day he wouldn't want the Muppets themselves to be CGI. As Jim said at the end "simple is good."

DannyRWW likes this.
  14. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

A catagorically emphatic "no!!!!!!". Like Jamie said, I'm all for enhancing the puppetry, but NEVER replacing it!! Oh dear god, no!! Let's hope we NEVER see that day! I feel dirty even entertaining the notion. Excuse me whilst I go for a shower...
  15. Pinkflower7783

Like I said I am not knocking CGI but I don't EVER want my beloved Muppets being done in it!
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  16. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

i really do not want to see the muppets in cgi it just would not be right the muppets should always be puppets the only muppet who really works as cgi is waldo c graphic and thats it
  17. Pinkflower7783

Here's a better question who wants the future of The Muppets to NOT be in CGI? :rolleyes:
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  18. bluebomber95

bluebomber95 Member

Puppet full body shots could be REALLY good with modern-day CGI. That is, for full body shots that are not feasible to do with puppets and green screen. Do I think fully-CG characters are good for the Muppets? No, 99.9% of the time. If a character is supposed to be digital, like Waldo, then it could be a motion capture sorta thing. But, no fully-CG Kermit, please.

I don't see why people think CGI is the devil on these forums. Face it, its good when used purposefully.

So, to sum up this post, CG like Ted should only be used when shots absolutely need it to look good, but the Muppets should otherwise be fleece and foam.
    jvcarroll likes this.
  19. Pinkflower7783

Okay I'm gonna at least speak for myself here when I say I don't hate CGI. And I don't think it's the devil! I thinks a great tool to use however I do not want to see the Muppets themselves in CGI.
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's just that Hollywood rarely uses it purposefully anymore. They use it as a substitute for a story. ;)
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.