When you need to rant...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Here's a new rant I have with so many people out there going "adult" for really no reason, other than to "be a little daring
To be blunt, that's often just a sign of a creator running out of ideas. No matter how talented you are, eventually it happens and what was once attempts to be edgy just become dirty.

Hubert

Reaction score
I do agree that what heralde said may be the case, but another thing is that people seem to have a backwards mindset sometimes. They seem to feel like they're not getting enough watches or views or whatever they're doing, and feel that they will gain more by going dirtier. Which in some cases, you may pick up a few more, but then again, you also love many more of the original people who actually liked it before you went all dirty.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something...

cartoonists have dirty little minds, and most of the supposed safe stuff has some dirty stealth stuff in it... I LOVE under the radar moments in kid's shows. Animaniacs contained flat out the most stealthily hidden sex jokes in a kid's show. I'm sure some of the writers probably made a gag script of some kind to blow off steam. Then there's the Sam and Max cartoon series episode where they're searching for a criminal in the showers of a prison, where they proceed to make not one but 2 Prison Rape jokes (including a so disturbing, it's hilarious shot of Max bending over with a "Do not open til Christmas" sign hanging off his tail). Spongebob had a cake that said "Sorry for the Scabbies" on it, and an episode where he tells Mrs. Puff that he'll see her the following Tuesday. Replace "the following" with next. I refuse to explain that any further.

The difference is, with something adult, it's out in the open. You know you're going to see something shocking and offensive (Family Guy ain't got NOTHIN on Drawn Together... and DT is actually funnier with it from what I've seen). But when you tune in a kid's show... it's more disturbing in context... but that's usually met with an "AWWW YEAH!" from the adults watching.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
cartoonists have dirty little minds, and most of the supposed safe stuff has some dirty stealth stuff in it... I LOVE under the radar moments in kid's shows.
One of my favorite "under the radar" moments was in an episode of SpongeBob where they showed someone robbing a bank, and the robbers started screaming "ATTICA! ATTICA!" like in Dog Day Afternoon.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
cartoonists have dirty little minds, and most of the supposed safe stuff has some dirty stealth stuff in it... I LOVE under the radar moments in kid's shows.
Oh yeah me too, when they're under the radar. It's when they start to lose their subtlety that things get ugly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I think everybody but heralde kind of missed the point I was making, but whatevs.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I think everybody but heralde kind of missed the point I was making, but whatevs.
Lol, thanks. But to be fair Hubert is right as well, sometimes going too dirty is a sign of desperation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One of my favorite "under the radar" moments was in an episode of SpongeBob where they showed someone robbing a bank, and the robbers started screaming "ATTICA! ATTICA!" like in Dog Day Afternoon.
That's not under the radar as much as it is a pop culture reference.

I love how 4Kids snuck some pretty adult jokes in their dubs of Ultimate Muscle and the ill fated Funky Cops. And this is, mind you, a company that's at the mercy of American TV rules and Bowlderizes the heck out of everything so they recolor guns to look like toys, don't state than any character is dead, and goes out of their way to make cartoons safe for prudish old grannies while ticking off everyone else who's mature enough to know about violence and death... anyone in the actual 6-10 demographic.

BUT, they managed to slip a couple really questionable lines in UM...

"Roxanne and her friends can join me. We can have a foursome... for GOLF!"

"There's somethin' in the Kid tonight. And I know it isn't Steroids, cuz his urine tested clean."

"The rope stretches like a G String... of a guitar."

And on Funky Cops, a sequence where a really nasty ship's crew member hands a disgusting cocktail out...

Woman: it looks like some sort of Witch's Brew!

Ace: Rhymes with Witch

And of course an episode where Jack said something about getting his partner an "Inflatable..." for his birthday. Pretty dirty stuff considering how hard this company censors stuff.

Oh yeah me too, when they're under the radar. It's when they start to lose their subtlety that things get ugly.
But the thing is, an adult show doesn't need to hide anything because the audience knows what they're talking about. It looses a lot of that clever sneaking around, though. I agree I liked it better when they implied that Ren and Stimpy were gay in the older series vs the Adult Cartoon Party when they actually... well... it's in the first episode, thankfully hidden even with a TV MA rating.