When you need to rant...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Plenty loud enough here, and people routinely ignore the "quiet zone" signs. Ditto lax parents letting their snotty little offspring rampage loudly all over. At least the one I regularly go to has a couple of librarians who will ask people to be quiet or leave, IF someone complains to them.

The whole concept of "rude" has devolved into a definition of "you're impinging on my space and my desire to do whatever the heck I want when and where I want." Common courtesy hasn't been common for a long, long time.

There must be SOME middle ground between chaos and autocracy we can agree on. Is totalitarianism the only way to make people be NICE, d--it?
----------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I don't go to my library enough to notice noise. When i do go, its because I needed my hair cut (the place I go to is across from the library) and afterwards my mom likes to sometimes use the library internet (now we don't even need to do that anymore). I usually grab a magazine and head to the very back sitting area behind all the resource books. Its usually pretty quiet back there.

Now the other library that I lived near years ago was always quiet. It was rare to see anyone else in there. But I would go there a lot and check out their Time Life Muppet Show dvds

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Or because my library is super small and unless you are looking for children's books, there isn't much there. My campus library is a lot bigger and a lot better :stick_out_tongue:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Or because my library is super small and unless you are looking for children's books, there isn't much there. My campus library is a lot bigger and a lot better :stick_out_tongue:
Ok...there's another one.

Back when I was a student in Alabama, at AUM (yes, tiny liberal arts school in froggin' ALABAMA), we had the whole of the state to pick from for library materials -- same thing when I was at USM in Mississippi before that. Any library in the state, any other college, you could access their database and request any item. That's how I was able to get a copy of the full score of Berlioz's Requiem for a tattoo.

Here in AZ? Nope. And this is 2o YEARS LATER.

Talk about backa--wards.
------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My current rant has to do with trying to convert a video to an audio format... I don't know why this is a problem anymore, but now, whenever I try to download/convert a video as an mp3 or a wav, the final results lower the volume considerably for really no reason: this means I have to open the file in Audacity, raise the volume back up (amplify), but when that happens, there's a faint hissy sound to it from where the volume had been lowered. What's the deal with that? I mean really.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Have you tried using RealPlayer Converter?

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
About one or two months ago, I handed in a CV to a cafe and they said they'd get back to me. A few weeks later, they did, but I was worried because I already had an interview with an outdoor shop, (which I'm pretty sure I screwed up) so they just said to come in at any time. And I did, but the boss wasn't in. After a fortnight with the family, I returned. No boss again. Third time round, boss was in, but they'd already got an interview with someone else and told me to wait for their call.

It's situations like this where I don't know who to be angry at. Them or myself.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's just some bad luck, that the first two times you went in the boss happened not to be there. Sounds frustrating. I hope you have better luck with the next place you apply at.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a new rant I have with so many people out there going "adult" for really no reason, other than to "be a little daring"... I mean it seems like after certain people have been doing something for a while, at some point, they feel the need to suddenly just go in a more distasteful direction with what they do. Like take Mike Mozart for example, now granted, his toy reviews weren't obviously aimed at kids to begin with, but in the past, his reviews were relatively clean, with maybe an occasional swear here and there, but then after his sudden and confusing little period there where he went all political and then returned to his toy reviews, it's like he had to make sure every other joke about the toys were just flat-out dirty... and it also didn't help that he seemed to basically be targeting suggestive looking toys exclusively anyway. And I don't get me started on artists I used to follow/watch on deviantART who basically just switched over to fetish-related artwork entirely, and in some cases, they'll even keep doing the exact same thing over and over again... I've lost count how many times one guy I used to watch (who used to be the BEST at fan art of any cartoon you could imagine) has drawn Timmy Turner basically being sexually harassed by older cartoon women (course part of the problem is the same guy keeps making that same request over and over again). I even asked him why he's chosen to go in this direction, and why he hardly does anything tasteful anymore, and he acted all offended and like I was criticizing him for "trying to be a little daring"... yeah, drawing that kind of stuff over and over again for a long time is "a little daring", I getcha.