What's your favorite letter segment?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh yeah I now recall him throwing the o. Did it hit the big giant, make a lot of noise (like it hit a bunch of things), or did the giant just bring it back over? A lot of times SS would play the sound effects of crashing and breaking sounds whenever some object (or the person or muppet themselves!) would go flying across the screen and out of sight. But not sure if that was the case in this one.
And hey that reminds me of one time Ernie was holding a TINY object in his hand. It was almost invisible. Then he turned to Bert and said, "Here, Bert, catch." But Bert wasn't ready for it and said, "Huh?" And the tiny object flies past Bert and goes off screen. And then we hear tremendously loud crashing and smashing sounds!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
if i were the letter B.

anyone remember a muppet segment where they were singing a song called if i was the letter B?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Oh yeah I now recall him throwing the o. Did it hit the big giant, make a lot of noise (like it hit a bunch of things), or did the giant just bring it back over? A lot of times SS would play the sound effects of crashing and breaking sounds whenever some object (or the person or muppet themselves!) would go flying across the screen and out of sight. But not sure if that was the case in this one.
And hey that reminds me of one time Ernie was holding a TINY object in his hand. It was almost invisible. Then he turned to Bert and said, "Here, Bert, catch." But Bert wasn't ready for it and said, "Huh?" And the tiny object flies past Bert and goes off screen. And then we hear tremendously loud crashing and smashing sounds!
he probably threw it at the giant.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I believe you're right. Because that would fit with the giant saying, "Oh" when he found out the o belonged to the little guy, and also why the giant dropped it at him rather than bend down and hand it to him gently.

Ziffel said:
An o sketch I liked even better was nicely detailed in full by mikealan before:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=3296&highlight=bulldoze
And still another o sketch I recall from a little later (about 1976 or 1977) where a letter o appears moving like a mouth and a voice says, "Helll lo there I'm the letter o" Then he says, "I'm round like a doughnut. O." and it goes through pictures of other o words. I don't think there was anything comical in this one, though. It was kind of like a d segment where the guy narrates all these d words while showing the real pictures (like d occupations- dentist, detective, ditchdigger, daddy). Last line is, "A delightful letter, the letter d."

Ziffel

Reaction score
b sketches

Of course a great classic b sketch was "B is for bubble".
Other good ones that I can't remember all the b words to:

Except the bear tapping the beehive one:
1,2..3,4,5 watch the bees go in their hive (tah teh tihtihtihtihtihtihtih, tah teh tihtihtihtihtihtihtih - bear tapping the hive sound effect).
6,7..8,9,10 here they all come out again! (bees chase him)
1,2..3,4,5 what I'd better do is dive! (he dives but bees still sting him)
6,7..8,9,10 I will never mess with bees again.

B is for bicycle. (A bear is riding a bicycle)
Then some other b words are mentioned. Then:
B is for branch, sticking out of a tree (bear collides with it and disturbs a bee hive)
Too bad Mr. Bear, the letter b is also for bees!

Then another animated sketch had a narrator naming a bunch of b items that were next to each other on top of a brick wall. After naming and showing them all (the last two were boxes and berries) he says:
But b is for boy, with a baseball and bat. And with one mighty blow knocks everything flat! (The boy hit the baseball and knocked off all the items. It ends with a swallowing sound (gulp!) so maybe the last item, the berries, went into the boy's mouth.

Alright,folks. B is also for bed. Goodnight. B good!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
although I have only heard audio recordings of them, i like "the sound of the letter a", "the tale of tom tattertall tuttletutt" (about the letter t), "would you like to buy an O?", "the U lecture" and "four furry friends".

of what I hav eseen visually, I like harvey kneeslappers prank about the letter b, Norah Jones' song "don't know why y didn't show", "j friends", "c is for cookie", the grover the waiter sketch where it is charlies birthday so everything on the menu has to begin with the letter c (or is that a "CH" sound?), the sketch where kermit draws the letter M on-screen with his finger, wanda the witch, cowboy x, bert and ernies "la, la, la" song, and mystery letter (about the letter x. this one has guy smiley, cookie monster, don music and sherlock hemlock).

of the generic alphabet sketches (ones that don't focus on certain letters) I like the one where kermit and a little girl sing the alphabet, kermits swamp alphabet song (I don't know the exact title, but I think it is either "bayou alphabet", "swamp alkphabet" or "alphabet in the swamp"), "abc-def-ghi" and the alphabet song sung by leena horne, fat blue and the anything muppets.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
alphabet base.

i remember seeing a number of these in the late 70s and was suprise to have seen them in the SSU shows in the 1st season. this was where a plane would fly over and write a letter. remember these?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Remember a couple of s animated sketches that both might have had sleighs?
One that definitely did had Santa Claus suddenly appear on the screen going by in his sleigh and saying, "Ho ho ho ho!" He did something to the guy that was talking about s words like knock him over into the snow or maybe just a lot of snow brushed up onto him. But after Santa and the reindeer go by, the guy kind of sputters and then weakly says, "Sleigh".
In the other one there's another guy standing there and one at a time these vehicles and other movable objects go by that begin with s, like scooter, skis, and maybe sled or sleigh. At the end all these people in these vehicles and other things appear at the back of the screen and they are heading right for the guy. He calmly is facing the viewers and says something like, "But there's one word I particularly like." Then just as they are real close behind him he turns around and yells, "Stop!!!!!" The sound effects as they were approaching were like the scooter (dvh dvh DVH DVH DVH DVH!).
Either of these s ones jostle the memory bank?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
It just came to me now, I think this scene occurs in a sketch with Sharla. Sharla was in between Ernie and Bert, as always (well, actually there was that one sketch where Ernie kept saying, "Shift" and the three would alter the positions they were in). Ernie holds up what might have supposed to have been a ball so tiny that you couldn't even see it. After showing Sharla how small it is he then throws it to Bert saying, "Here, Bert, catch." But Bert wasn't ready for it and it goes by him and then the humongous offscreen crash noises.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
It just came to me now, I think this scene occurs in a sketch with Sharla. Sharla was in between Ernie and Bert, as always (well, actually there was that one sketch where Ernie kept saying, "Shift" and the three would alter the positions they were in). Ernie holds up what might have supposed to have been a ball so tiny that you couldn't even see it. After showing Sharla how small it is he then throws it to Bert saying, "Here, Bert, catch." But Bert wasn't ready for it and it goes by him and then the humongous offscreen crash noises.
I remember that skit. Sharla kept calling it a baby ball. :smile: