Uncle Grandpa

mr3urious

Reaction score
Did anyone see the new episode this past Saturday Morning? Really funny stuff. It a movie based on Uncle G and him helping a girl become a Super Hero. I loved seeing Pizza Steve and Gus as cameos in the movie. Some really great writing and loved all the gags.
It was great to see UG help out a kid again, even if it was just part of a movie. There, it's clear that his stupidity is really all for show, and all the mistakes he made were so he can teach young Jessica a lesson in the difficulties of superheroism.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm impressed that they framed the episode as a movie instead of just going straightforward an "Uncle Grandpa helps out a kid" episode. Again, these ones are my favorite because the usually goofy and clumsy Uncle Grandpa does his hidden genius techniques.

But I was even happier at the grand return of New Experiences. Though, eh... Hot Dog Person trying to put on his sock was a little...can't get your mind out of the guttery for a kid's show. But even putting on a sock leads to horrible consequences. I think these newer ones go out of their way to imply how sinister Beary Nice really is, and I actually like that.

I also liked a few episodes back where prank callers play a lousy prank on UG, only to unleash his fury. I especially love the "You don't mess with Uncle Grandpa, unless you want Uncle Grandpa to really mess you up" type stories. His magnificent b****ard stance is one thing when he's trying to help a kid out, but if you're on his bad side he's even more eerily laser focused.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How come every time CN does something decent, they have to do at least 3 or 4 things to take that back? That said, I'm a little mixed about this. I'd hate to see the characters go, but the way CN is handling this, it's going to be at least another 2 seasons of produced shows. And the way they air these things, it may be 2 years before they run out of episodes. And as much as I love this show, I don't know how much more material they'd get out of this. But manipulating the staff and the fans like this is pure and utter garbage. They finally try to address what's been wrong with the network since 2005 or so, and then they keep going back to screwing things up.

If they're puling this on Steven Universe, I hope all the fury of its fanbase gets poured onto whoever is running the network now.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't like Uncle Grandpa as much as the other CN originals, but this is indeed infuriating for CN to pull something as backhanded as this. If the network heads have just come right out and said that it's ending, I wouldn't be as mad about this decision.

Let's hope that Steven Universe doesn't get this same screwjob. :mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That seems to be the infuriating new trend. I mean, it's one thing to say "we're planning to end the series" to our faces. If they said "this will be the last season in production," that's one thing. The writers could have wrapped things up and given us a nice send off. And frankly, I wouldn't mind terribly. I really like this show as a contrast to AT and SU both being pretty dark and heavy. It's a stupid, fun show that feels like it should have been one of their 2008 series right next to Chowder (cuz it almost was). I can see the show not needing to be a long runner and having a modest amount of episodes. And I have to admit, how they're dumping them on Saturday mornings and how they quickly pulled the "UG Bomb" week of episodes they planned several weeks back should have been a sign. But this is just low to say "oh, we renewed it, but in the sense that we didn't, and we're just cutting the episode runs into smaller seasons" right to the fandom and the production staff.

I'm not saying anything Steven Universe one way or another because I'm worried about this and either way seems like a jinx. But SU has a very vocal (and obnoxious) fanbase. CN would do well to treat them right, but for everything they actually listen to for the fans, there's live action shows no one liked, all day marathons of a cheap Canadian show, and sabotage of their own series. If they're planning to screw them, they should at least tell it to their faces so we can at least have a rushed finale.

Really. When Disney screwed Phineas and Ferb, at least the staff was savvy enough to come up with a couple finale episodes before they slammed shut on production. Too bad the same didn't happen to Wander.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I just hope they get Aunt Grandma back for at least one more episode. And to a lesser extent, Charlie Burgers the dog. Their last appearance was in that Wacky Races homage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Uncle Grandpa just trolled the Cartoon Network audience with the Grampie awards. Nice to see him manage to squeeze in brief crossovers with most of the other CN characters. A couple even got some dialogue in, and a brief reference to the Say Uncle episode of Steven Universe.

Though...Sumo has eyelashes for some reason. And the end gag about how none of the other shows are getting picked up next season comes off "Funny Aneurysm" considering UG's fate.

C to the J

Reaction score
How about Pizza Eve? Another instance of Pizza Steve trying to prove his false claim. Certainly unforgettable, what with Adam Devine being able to sound slightly more feminine when his character cross-dresses. He could even do that with Boone from Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero, but we're not getting signs of a second season as of late.

Regarding the Grampies, they pretty much beat Nickelodeon to the punch. We all know how obvious it would be if the Nicktoons pulled off something like this.

At least they didn't include anyone from Teen Titans Go. The reason for this is that the show is made at WB Animation but not at Cartoon Network Studios. Sometimes I think the 'Go' in the title stands for 'Garbage Overload.'

Drtooth

Reaction score
Regarding the Grampies, they pretty much beat Nickelodeon to the punch. We all know how obvious it would be if the Nicktoons pulled off something like this.
Considering the episode was written by one of the former Spongebob writers (that everyone hated), I wouldn't doubt that was totally intentional.

Also notice the Bears weren't present either. Don't know why. But they had Dexter and DeeDee as well as Samurai Jack and Mac. Nice to know the showrunners are paying tribute to older CN characters as well. Still don't see why Sumo had fangs and eyelashes, but the animation team did it's darndest to get everyone else looking close to authentic as possible. They still looked a little off in certain cases, though. I just hope this isn't the last crossover based episode of any of the CN shows. And no, watching Adventure Time in Clarence and We Bare Bears doesn't count.

My guess is Warner Bros animation was considered off limits because of the insane level of red tape WB inflicts on itself. Or that they're DC characters.

How about Pizza Eve? Another instance of Pizza Steve trying to prove his false claim. Certainly unforgettable, what with Adam Devine being able to sound slightly more feminine when his character cross-dresses.
I love the level of depth they give to Pizza Steve, especially since the diary episode. His tough guy facade is clearly there for Uncle Grandpa, who actually buys into it, or if you're of the mind who considers UG to be deviously intelligent, that he knows that keeping up a brave face is very important to Pizza Steve. Alternate character interpretation, UG knew Eve was Steve in drag and just wanted to have a little fun with him.