Uncle Grandpa

Drtooth

Reaction score
What made Back at the Library brilliant to me is this.

Uncle Grandpa is some sort of ageless immortal, as are the rest of his crew. They easily could have written the episode so his tardy library book was hundreds or thousands of years late and racks up millions of bucks as a fine. But they went with UG overreacting to a week late's fine of 12 cents. They went with the less obvious Uncle Grandpa scenario, and the episode was all the funnier for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any one else catch the Easter episode? Nice to see something besides Teen Titans go doing this many holiday specials.

Regis Philbin was surprising as the Easter Bunny. Loved the gag about him having to wait for the cable representative only to...

get so annoyed by all the damage and legal proceedings Uncle Grandpa caused that he just winds up cancelling the service with a minimum of anger in the end

C to the J

Reaction score
Sure did! It's been years since I last heard Regis's voice on TV.

And how about that other episode that followed it? The visuals in the first couple of minutes of 'King Gus' hardly look anything like the visuals with which we're most familiar. In the first few shots, Mr. Gus practically looks like a green thumb without the distinctive head structure.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And how about that other episode that followed it? The visuals in the first couple of minutes of 'King Gus' hardly look anything like the visuals with which we're most familiar. In the first few shots, Mr. Gus practically looks like a green thumb without the distinctive head structure.
Looks like they got the title card artist to direct part of the episode, like they did for the entirety of "Wasteland".

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It had Wasteland's visuals all over it. Fat Mr. Gus and everything.

I don't find it jarring. Steven Universe is a very depending on the artist show. Sometimes he looks like he's five or just very stunted in growth (and I swear the second birthday episode was a stealth reference to that). Uncle Grandpa is oddly more structured in its look, but I like the looseness of the Wasteland artist (forget the name, not bothering to look it up), except I feel weird whenever Fat Gus pops up on screen. I love how UG was drawn in that episode, though. Especially the bit where he's smiling and covered by coupons and his eyes somehow overlap his nose. The show should have a nice, off model look to it. After all, it's spiritual progeny ranges from Ren and Stimpy to Cow and Chicken. Cartoons where they just didn't give a crap about on model.

Of course, the episode in question was great. Mr. Gus loves to be the stoic one, but I love that he can fly off the handle as much as anyone else in the show. Like the one about the ballroom getting messed up. Really shades of Ren in "Cousin Sven." Loved seeing him as a crazed, paranoid dictator, and only seeing the aftermath of Pizza Steve's reign. Sure, actually seeing Pizza Steve go mad with power would have been fun, but just not as well structured an episode as one with the usually more levelheaded Gus slowly loosing it and escalating. What Pizza Steve would have done was obvious.

Also, loved the sad chef trying to sell his "chunds."

mr3urious

Reaction score
Of course, the episode in question was great. Mr. Gus loves to be the stoic one, but I love that he can fly off the handle as much as anyone else in the show. Like the one about the ballroom getting messed up. Really shades of Ren in "Cousin Sven." Loved seeing him as a crazed, paranoid dictator, and only seeing the aftermath of Pizza Steve's reign. Sure, actually seeing Pizza Steve go mad with power would have been fun, but just not as well structured an episode as one with the usually more levelheaded Gus slowly loosing it and escalating. What Pizza Steve would have done was obvious.
It's very reminiscent of the SpongeBob episode "Rule of Dumb" where Patrick was made king for some ridiculous reason and goes mad with power. And like SpongeBob, the writers did the right thing by making the little plastic sword the catalyst to his power trip, though here it's implied that it has actual magic powers unlike Pat's crown. Of course, this was written by Casey Alexander's partner-in-crime Zeus Cervas, so that's likely where he got the plot from.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I loved the Easter one with Regis Philbin as the Easter Bunny. I thought it was him but after a while I almost thought no it can't be but I was right. I loved the whole thing with Pizza Steve growing another eye, getting real big and having four arms. Really funny stuff and them keeping him in that form for the Pizza Steve skit.

I two also thought that Gus was a little fat in the beginning of "King Gus." I thought I was the only one who saw that. It was a pretty neat storyline and all but I think it should of had a little more to it. Like some other Uncle Grandpa characters in it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's very reminiscent of the SpongeBob episode "Rule of Dumb" where Patrick was made king for some ridiculous reason and goes mad with power. And like SpongeBob, the writers did the right thing by making the little plastic sword the catalyst to his power trip, though here it's implied that it has actual magic powers unlike Pat's crown.
The thing that made this episode shine was that, well, Patrick has a history of acting like an idiot, a jerk, or an idiotic jerk. Mr. Gus's only sins are being flustered by Pizza Steve and sometimes Uncle Grandpa. You see him lose temper from time to time, but he's usually chill. Seeing him go uncharacteristically nuts under power really made that episode pop more than if it was Pizza Steve. That sort of thing would have been predictable under him, maybe even UG. They chose the smartest character to write the episode about.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So...yeah.

Oatmeal Day.

That happened and I wasn't surprised.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Did anyone see the new episode this past Saturday Morning? Really funny stuff. It a movie based on Uncle G and him helping a girl become a Super Hero. I loved seeing Pizza Steve and Gus as cameos in the movie. Some really great writing and loved all the gags.