1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The New Movie: The Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Psammeadboi, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

As long as it comes out before December 23. ;)
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I had this idea around 2000 that I posted on here, where the film starts off with the Muppets working in a zany fun chaotic dot com company...with the usual penguins flying, beaker getting the brunt of electricity, etc. My idea was that in downtown(whatever city it took place) there was a tall ornate corporate highrise, where the top floors were overrun by Dark Crystal/Labyrinth looking creatures lead by a Christopher Walken type CEO character. A not so subtle metaphor of corporate/bank company greed and excess.
    Kermit would then have to travel the four corners of the globe gathering not just the muppet gang, but all the Muppets of the world to come back and help stop this menace who is threatening to not just just take over their building...but wipe out Muppet kind. So you'd see Kermit walking through the desert to find Animal who's become a new age zen guru, going through seedy underground European comedy clubs to find Fozzie, etc.
    Pretty much I was influenced by the final part of Roger Rabbit where all the toons have to confront the bad guy.

Why do I get the feeling "Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever" may end up not being the film script they end up going with by the time the cameras roll?
  3. MuppetFanFamily

MuppetFanFamily New Member

I think the biggest mistakes that are seeming to be made are that the movie must have some major be all/end all Muppet plot and that the movie should come out very soon. I think the Muppet universe is extremely underused and I have been glad to see them making little TV spots here and there. I think familiarity with the younger generation is the Muppets greatest obstacle to obtain great success with a new film. I think that a tie-in with Comedy's big names which have been discussed Segel, Rogen, Jonah Hill (Appatow Bunch) and a tie-in mini-series of Kermit getting the gang back together would be a Muppet masterpiece which could really put the Muppets of old back on top. I would love to see a new Muppet Variety show, aka a new "The Muppet Show" come as a result of this new film and series connection. If it takes a reality spoof of Kermit getting the gang together and a major motion picture to do it then so be it. I don't quite understand the funding problem with Disney owning the Muppets, If Mickey flexes his muscles I believe any Muppet project can be made and funded--and with starpower from today's new comedians and with less flash-in-the-pan pop-cult references I think the Muppets could be transformed back into the pinnacle of FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT. After all the Muppets are known for family fun comedy which spans generatons (I watched with my father and grandfather) and surely this group of young comedians/writers would know what to do with it to make another timeless Muppet pic.

Also:If anyone thinks they would stray from a PG rating- that is just ridiculous. Of course these guys can work on fam. films. Check Rogens voices for Monsters VS. Aliens, Kung-Fu Panda, and Seuss' Horton Hears A Who.

LONG LIVE THIS FRANCHISE!
    ye of little faith
  4. hoopless

hoopless Member

You're not the only one who recalls it being billed for 2010, but I too cannot remember who said it or when. Still I think it's possible. there's always a family film that gets released to cinemas on boxing day. I would hazard a guess that it's gonna be closer to the the 2011 end of 2010 if it is released this year, but scripts were being worked on throughout last year if we're to believe the whisperings from Segel and co. and even if they're not on board for this movie there's got to be every chance a script isn't far off.

Possibly just my wishful thinking that it will be in cinemas sooner than later so I can drag everyone I know to see it several times on opening week. That along with the fact that sometimes films get released months later in the UK than the US and I don't want to be forced to see a naughty copy because I can't wait.
  5. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Does anybody happen to know if there will be original songs in the movie? I loved Muppets From Space but one thing I never liked about it was the lack of such songs. The Muppets always do great songs and it's fun to watch them sing than to just hear popular lyrics in the background.
  6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Pretty much nothing is known about the movie at this point aside from the title but i wouldn't worry about songs. The Muppets learned their lesson from MFS and original songs are pretty much a given for Muppet movies from this point on. Especially if Segel is indeed involved with the writing.
  7. dwmckim

Getting a giggle out of the thought of a "naughty copy" of a Muppet flick - yeah i know you're referring to a bootleg but the term lends itself to other fun manner of interpretation.

Either way, it would be kind of a kick to view "A Cheap Copy of The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made"
  8. hoopless

hoopless Member

Haha didn't even dawn on me like that when I wrote it. But wouldn't a copy of naughty Muppets just be an Avenue Q dvd?
  9. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

It is real and that is reason for happy.
  10. bluebomber95

bluebomber95 Member

My friend at Disney confirmed that the current script they're working with is based on the old one by Jerry Juhl and gang, just to clear up any uncertainty. That's what he told me, and he's pretty reliable, so don't shoot the messenger if it changes as production continues!
  11. goodrastus

goodrastus New Member

Just read this on another site. Quoted article below.

Cast and script details for the forthcoming Muppets movie have leaked online.
    The Playlist claims that George Clooney, Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt, Sarah Jessica Parker and Ben Stiller make cameo appearances in the film's screenplay.
    Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, Chris Rock, Mel Brooks, Matt Damon and Norah Jones are also linked to the film.
    The plot will apparently centre around the retired and much-loved Muppets characters attempting to stop the closure of the TV studio where the original series was produced.
    The big screen adaptation, which was announced in 2008, currently has the working title of The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time.
    Flight of the Conchords director James Bobin has been offered to helm the movie.

Link is http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a202529/clooney-hathaway-for-muppets-revival.html
  12. dwmckim

My head is spinning with the myriad of conflicting news reports. I haven't been this dizzy since i used to "dance" to Sesame Street records by running around my bedroom in circles.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I thought they were blending both the Segel and the Henson scripts together because the "Cheapest" movie was just a treatment and the "Greatest" movie took nearly ten pages for any actual Muppets to appear onscreen. The D23 conference announced "Cheapest" so I'll go with that until Disney makes another statement. They're the ones footing the bill afterall. ;)
  14. James Denny

James Denny New Member

Friend of mine emailed me virtually the same article from Empire.com, and they're usually pretty reliable :)
  15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't care what news is spinning around the place...so long as there IS news, and people are interested in it, I am happy.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly. From what we can piece form the little shards of news with inferior glue and the pieces don't exactly fit together so you got to force them together... the working title is the Greatest blah blah blah instead of the announced title of "Cheapest." The article has no forward news that "Cheapest" was announced, and if they're still going by the "leaked" script, there probably are changes they don't know about.

Unless of course, 2 scripts are being made by 2 groups and one is a dummy script that was SUPPOSED to be leaked as a red herring.

So basically, we haven't got any strong solid news one way or another.
  17. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

I just hope the new Muppet movie be better than Muppets From Space and the ridiculous Muppets Wizard of Oz.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Again, I put all the blame for MFS into the hands of Tim "Mundane is KING" Hill. What does it say when you're best movie is Alvin and the Chipmunks? Joey Mazzaino wrote a great script with a complex ending that got cut for scenes of Muppets checking the mail, mowing lawns, and basically half the dang movie was them doing chores. :rolleyes: Changing the ending to something so banal and disappointing (as well as killing off a cameo by Traveling Matt) was inexcusable.

As for Oz, I think they've learned their lesson with that one. Doing another pre-existing story movie (like MCC and MTI) was bad enough, but the stunt casting, at the moment gags, grabbing at too many focus groups, the poorly written songs (which is still better than a 1970's funk track), and ugly look of the film overall turned what was an inadvisable idea into a bad one, and I still think the thing was rushed out to show the Disney stock holders. It really is a low point for Muppet fans, since so many better scripts were sitting on a shelf or in a filing cabinet.
  19. haakonsmary

haakonsmary Member

There was supposed to be a Traveling Matt cameo? Any details on where he would have showed up? That would have been great.

Is the original MFS script available to read anywhere?
  20. Mupp

Mupp Member

I agree. I would have loved to see Joey Mazzaino's script used for Muppets From Space. The film could have been so much better.

And yes, there were quite a few issues with Oz. I liked some parts, but for one thing, in retrospect it would have been better if Piggy were not the villain, and if they had casted someone else as Dorothy. (I remember hearing that they had a lot of problems casting Dorothy, so who knows what was going on behind the scenes.

Anyway, its in the past. Muppets' Oz was made under Michael Eisner's watch, and he's gone now.