The New Movie: The Muppets

Mupp

Reaction score
Uh... I really don't know how a sequel's gonna go... I mean, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Boom Comics Monsters Inc series, which works better than any sequel would in my eyes. And I really don't see how much more could happen in film form. Monsters Inc is one of my top three Pixar films... along with Up and the Incredibles. And I hear they were considering an Incredibles sequel... and I'd rather see what they're gonna do with that one.

Hmm... new Pooh, huh? I wonder if they're planning one closer to the original story, and I wonder if we're gonna have new character designs
From what I understand, they really want to make this new Pooh film have the same look and feel as the original Pooh films, and they will be using a lot of material from the original A.A Milne stories that has not yet been tapped into.

At John Lasseter's keynote address for Disney and Pixar Animation at the D23 Expo, he stressed that this new Pooh film will not just be for kids, that older people will be able to enjoy it as well.

So it seems that they really want this new film to have a classic feel.

As for the Monsters Inc sequel, John Lasseter will no doubt be executive producer, and I have faith in all of the projects that he is associated with. So I am not too worried about that. Since Lasseter is involved, I'm sure that the story will be well thought-out.

As a side note, Cars 2 is coming out in the summer of 2011, And last I heard the film was apparently having some story problems, so Lasseter went up to Pixar to help the team work things out.
(I really enjoyed Cars, so I'm looking forward to the sequel.)

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Just remember, with Cars 2 they're still deciding on wheather they will write out characters or recast voices due to the deaths of 3 or more cast members. :sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for the Monsters Inc sequel, John Lasseter will no doubt be executive producer, and I have faith in all of the projects that he is associated with. So I am not too worried about that. Since Lasseter is involved, I'm sure that the story will be well thought-out.

As a side note, Cars 2 is coming out in the summer of 2011, And last I heard the film was apparently having some story problems, so Lasseter went up to Pixar to help the team work things out.
(I really enjoyed Cars, so I'm looking forward to the sequel.)
Cars 2 I'm just wondering if I really want to bother with. I did dig the first one, but I really liked it the LEAST of all the Pixar films. And the original concept of the sequel (Mater and Lightning racing around the world) seemed flat and almost Dreamworks-like. The only sequel we've seen come out of Pixar was Toy Story 2 (so far... the third one technically doesn't come out for another month or so), and I REALLY think that the technological advancements freed them up to make a bigger, grander storyline which trumped the original. Seems they put a LOT of thought into what I've seen of the TS3 previews... a coming of age story about Andy and all that. Very character driven. The 2 Pixar films I DON'T want to see sequels for are Wall*E (I mean, they got back to Earth and the human race thrived... what possibly could you add?) and Up... again, that movie stands by itself too well to need one.

As for Pooh, I'm always up for a good Pooh film. Problem is, they were milking the property so ferociously, the character became essentially Elmo... basically stripped of personality to become a sippy cup. I REALLY hope this film goes back to the basics (though I've enjoyed what I saw of the more recent Pooh side films). I'd hate to see them go back to the era where Pooh totally eclipsed Mickey and Co in the marketing department.

Mupp

Reaction score
Just remember, with Cars 2 they're still deciding on wheather they will write out characters or recast voices due to the deaths of 3 or more cast members.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended up re-casting the voices. Just like with Slinky Dog for Toy Story 3.

Cars 2 I'm just wondering if I really want to bother with. I did dig the first one, but I really liked it the LEAST of all the Pixar films. And the original concept of the sequel (Mater and Lightning racing around the world) seemed flat and almost Dreamworks-like. The only sequel we've seen come out of Pixar was Toy Story 2 (so far... the third one technically doesn't come out for another month or so), and I REALLY think that the technological advancements freed them up to make a bigger, grander storyline which trumped the original. Seems they put a LOT of thought into what I've seen of the TS3 previews... a coming of age story about Andy and all that. Very character driven. The 2 Pixar films I DON'T want to see sequels for are Wall*E (I mean, they got back to Earth and the human race thrived... what possibly could you add?) and Up... again, that movie stands by itself too well to need one.
I know that Cars may not have been the most popular film, but ever since I heard about the development of it years ago, I was looking forward to it simply because I thought the idea was cool; inanimate objects actually being alive and such. That's the kind of thing that works great in animation.

Lasseter briefly touched upon Cars 2 at the Expo, and there is actually an interesting subplot that has to do with Mater inadvertently getting involved in something... I won't say anymore, simply because there is a chance that things may have changed since that info was shared.

I admit that I am I bit worried about Cars 2, but again, last I heard there were story problems, and they are taking the time to fix them, so that's always good news.

I am looking forward to TS3, but I admit that at first I was nervous about how they would handle such an emotional storyline, but after seeing the trailers and getting a chance to see some extended scenes, I am really excited.
And like you said, this is a good story for a third film. It was the only logical progression after TS2. And it is much better than the idea that Disney alone would have done without Pixar.

I know what you mean; don't worry, I doubt that they will ever make a sequel to WALL-E, there is simply nothing more to add. And yes, same with Up. (In fact, they were originally going to have the villain's comeuppance have a much more ambiguous tone, but they felt it was too uncertain, almost giving the audience the idea that he might come back in a sequel.)

So to finish off, I am really excited about the next Muppet movie! I only hope that it will be a good, well-thought out story.
Here's hoping!
And one thing is for sure, it will be great seeing them on the big screen again! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know that Cars may not have been the most popular film, but ever since I heard about the development of it years ago, I was looking forward to it simply because I thought the idea was cool; inanimate objects actually being alive and such. That's the kind of thing that works great in animation.
Marketing wise it WAS a popular film. No doubt that's why they chose to sequel it. I remember the toys selling out a week before the film came out, up to the month out of theaters line. It was their most toyetic movie since Toy Story... especially since they did poorly with Ratatouille Merchandise... and I think it's the same sort of indie thinking behind Rat that cause the disappointing lack of Up merchandising.

I mean, at LEAST a Carl Pez dispenser.

I'm sure if they changed the story, the film will be much better. Remember when Disney threatened to do TS3 without Pixar? That, to me, was the motivation they needed to make it themselves.

Mupp

Reaction score
Marketing wise it WAS a popular film. No doubt that's why they chose to sequel it.
Oh absolutely. I can't tell you how many times I've seen young boys with Cars shirts, caps, shoes, whatever.
And of course, the 12-acre Cars Land will be opening at California Adventure in 2012.

I guess Up was a hard film to market, though I have seen plush toys of Dug and Kevin.

But speaking of the theme parks, if the Muppet movie does well, I would love to see a Muppets ride built at the parks. Perhaps it could replace Muppet Vision 3D. (On both coasts) I wouldn't mind losing it if we would be receiving a Muppets ride.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
But speaking of the theme parks, if the Muppet movie does well, I would love to see a Muppets ride built at the parks. Perhaps it could replace Muppet Vision 3D. (On both coasts) I wouldn't mind losing it if we would be receiving a Muppets ride.
You're going to have a hard time finding Muppet fans who agree with you about that... Considering Muppet*Vision was Jim Henson's final project, it's pretty sacred to Muppet fans. Thankfully, I don't think Disney has any plans of removing it (especially since they're currently in the progress of upgrading it to Disney Digital 3D), but I would love to see a Muppet ride in some fashion, as long as it doesn't replace Muppet*Vision. :zany:

James Denny

Reaction score
The idea of replacing Muppet Vision 3D does bring up something that hasn't been talked about, what survives and for how long at the Disney Parks. Obviously the medium term future of MuppetVision is fine. Dis wouldn't bother upgrading it, but twenty/thirty years down the line. I only mention it because as theprawncracker pointed out it is the final piece of Jim's work that we have. I'm not trying to stir but we may come to a point where we no longer have MuppetVision. I guess it just depends on who's running the park really?

Mupp

Reaction score
You're going to have a hard time finding Muppet fans who agree with you about that... Considering Muppet*Vision was Jim Henson's final project, it's pretty sacred to Muppet fans. Thankfully, I don't think Disney has any plans of removing it (especially since they're currently in the progress of upgrading it to Disney Digital 3D), but I would love to see a Muppet ride in some fashion, as long as it doesn't replace Muppet*Vision. :zany:

Hmmm...
I guess you have a point there...
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Muppet Vision 3D (I AM a Muppet fan after all, and I hope that you are not doubting that.)

Its just that the Muppet world has seen so many changes since the 1990's, that I sometimes question how relevant the attraction must be to causal park guests.

Still, I realize that it was a hasty thought to think that Muppet Vision should be replaced. The attraction can stay...I just wish that they would go ahead and update the parody posters for the attraction in California since they already updated them in WDW!

I would still love to see a Muppet ride! (It would be fun to see a ride with Pepe!) and it would further cement the Muppets as part of the Disney family.

And you are correct, at current time, Disney has not plans on removing Muppet Vision 3D on either coast.
(Though we have no idea what is going on deep within the bowels of WDI!)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The removal of MuppetVision would be a sorrowful thought. Especially since there are those among us who have yet to see it. Namely me.

But, I doubt if Disney would go through with all that work to update the 3D effect just to remove it.