The movie could have been even better (article)

beaker

Reaction score
I won't even acknowledge the Nickelodeon turtles...TMNT is dead as far as Im concerned, other than the IDW comics. I agree with everything you said Tooth about what make both the classic, 2003 and other stuff great...

but have you seen footage or pix of the Nick Jr TMNT scheduled for 2012? I almost thought it was a joke. It makes Next Mutation seem like an Oscar winning set production.

beaker

Reaction score
Beaker, just because a movie uses modern techniques and edits (like "The Muppets" does) does not make it a bad film.

Please don't go looking for reasons and excuses to hate the film just because it may not necessarily be your cup of tea.
I never said it was a bad film. I stated in a separate thread how I felt compared to the classic films. Obviously it's not a bad film, as it's had insane critical acclaim with critics, people on here and at the BO

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never said it was a bad film. I stated in a separate thread how I felt compared to the classic films. Obviously it's not a bad film, as it's had insane critical acclaim with critics, people on here and at the BO
Yeah. I'm sure that the film was pretty well received by fans but comparing it to the classics was something I wasn't going to do anyway. It's a new film made with new techniques... the only thing classic I wanted were classic characters, some nods to the other movies, and depth of the Miss Piggy/Kermit relationship. Oh... and them not in some weird gimmick or theme film. We got that.

But I can see what Duke's saying too... not so much that he's annoyed by criticism (even well thought out ones), but that he's kinda disappointed the fans aren't all where he is as far as the movie goes (though most of us are). It seems other than a tiny handful, people overall enjoyed this film, and most find it an improvement over the last few on some level. If everyone hated this film and felt it was a titanic let down (like a soul stealing betrayal of a let down), I'm sure this board would be a maudlin collection of complaints both well crafted and poorly though out. Heck, it's pretty much a strong 4th favorite as far as the Muppet Movies go for me (I refuse to touch the first 3... but this comes very close for me) I might even call it a second and tie all the first three together.

1. (Tie) TMM, MTM, GMC
  2. The Muppets
  3. (Tie) VMX MTI
  4. MFS
  5. MCC
  6. MupOz
Though I'm not counting LTS (it's not technically a movie to me), KSY (I haven't seen still), and Muppet Classics Theater (though if I did, that would barely be above MupOz, even though I tend to have found it enjoyable enough). Nor am I adding the Sesame Street films (though FTB would be the second place... or even tied with the first 3... EIG barely tied with MCC).

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Plus I didn't like how that "Turtles Forever" special portrayed the '80s turtles as morons not to be taken seriously. That was completely inaccurate and demeaning. And the 2003 turtles just ended up looking like scolding parents. The writing was just too extreme and broad.
I turned it off the second I heard this exchange when the 80s Turtles were in jail:

"Hey, where's our one phone call?"
"I know who I'M calling!"
(all of them) "PIZZA!"

I'm pretty sure that's how everyone who doesn't remember that these were four characters with very layered personalities thinks of them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I turned it off the second I heard this exchange when the 80s Turtles were in jail:

"Hey, where's our one phone call?"
"I know who I'M calling!"
(all of them) "PIZZA!"

I'm pretty sure that's how everyone who doesn't remember that these were four characters with very layered personalities thinks of them.
Exactly! I mean it was basically trying to rewrite history. And frankly it's not like it made the 2003 turtles look any good. They just got annoying the way they kept scolding the other turtles, lol.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Letters To Santa, I dont know what it is, but I love that so much. Even tho it feels like its just cut off and taped together with no explanation
I usually think of LTS as simply a step back into the right direction.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm sure that the film was pretty well received by fans but comparing it to the classics was something I wasn't going to do anyway. It's a new film made with new techniques... the only thing classic I wanted were classic characters, some nods to the other movies, and depth of the Miss Piggy/Kermit relationship. Oh... and them not in some weird gimmick or theme film. We got that.

But I can see what Duke's saying too... not so much that he's annoyed by criticism (even well thought out ones), but that he's kinda disappointed the fans aren't all where he is as far as the movie goes (though most of us are). It seems other than a tiny handful, people overall enjoyed this film, and most find it an improvement over the last few on some level. If everyone hated this film and felt it was a titanic let down (like a soul stealing betrayal of a let down), I'm sure this board would be a maudlin collection of complaints both well crafted and poorly though out. Heck, it's pretty much a strong 4th favorite as far as the Muppet Movies go for me (I refuse to touch the first 3... but this comes very close for me) I might even call it a second and tie all the first three together.

1. (Tie) TMM, MTM, GMC
  2. The Muppets
  3. (Tie) VMX MTI
  4. MFS
  5. MCC
  6. MupOz
Though I'm not counting LTS (it's not technically a movie to me), KSY (I haven't seen still), and Muppet Classics Theater (though if I did, that would barely be above MupOz, even though I tend to have found it enjoyable enough). Nor am I adding the Sesame Street films (though FTB would be the second place... or even tied with the first 3... EIG barely tied with MCC).
I enjoyed both times I saw it, heck I liked it the second time more. I dont think hardly anyone on here is saying they didnt have a great fun time. I had an absolute wonderful time when I saw it.

My issues come down to more, when I have time to think about it, where the film stands for me. I'll say this, I love the new film much more than GMC, MTI, MCC, KSY, VMX, and Oz if that helps:smile:

I cant explain, after the huge word of mouth, why the film is now heading south fast at the box office.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I tried watching Oz the other night since the first time I saw it six years ago (which I mostly blocked out of my memory) and I couldn't get through the first fifteen minutes. It was awful, pure trash. The "gritty" music video, blatant sexploitation of Ashanti, and David Allan Grier mentioning that the Muppets are, "The most powerful puppets in the country!" Then finally the Muppets show up and the writing impossibly nosedives even further south.

For now, I'm only relying on my vague, discarded memories. Piggy is a biker chick, Gonzo has a nipple ring and of course Ashanti ends up showing even more skin so she can be famous!

Point is that I'm glad the Muppets are getting the better treatment that they deserve, but after Oz... can you really blame some people for being ambivalent?

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Interestingly the puppet comment didn't annoy me much... Have you ever seen Greg the Bunny...where Puppets are treated like lower class citizens. I never really had a problem with the Muppets being called puppets...its just that in their world a puppet is not being controlled by anyone its just that they are small and fuzzy and talking animals.... Now that being said there are so many things wrong with OZ. My kids like watching it but not our favorite Muppet movie by a long shot. Too much in it that makes me cringe.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
But the fact is that in the Muppets world they aren't puppets, they're Muppets. They're seen as weird people, not puppets.

This is the only time someone in an official Muppet production actively referred to them as puppets.