The movie could have been even better (article)

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
I would have been happier if what happened during the credits,
happened as a separate scene. It made it seem like an outtake and was confusing.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I love how every single interview, mention of them, etc by tv talk and entertainment shows treats them as real actors. I never once see a disrespectful interview...even Chelsea Lately, who is ultra disrespectful, still treated Piggy like she was a person.

Im surprised JHC never did a special to explain the origins of the Muppet race and how they came to be on planet Earth:smile:
I've heard talk of a JHC movie in the works where it's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, where Muppets are treated like second-class citizens. Although I don't think a movie with such a dark tone w0uld feature The Muppets, but rather JHC puppets. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is actually quite a dark film, and I'm still shocked it got away with a PG rating, given all the language and innuendo from Baby Herman and Jessica Rabbit alone. What you're proposing sounds similar to MFS, and I personally thought Gonzo being revealed as an alien was a bit too obvious and therefore uninteresting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've heard talk of a JHC movie in the works where it's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, where Muppets are treated like second-class citizens. Although I don't think a movie with such a dark tone w0uld feature The Muppets, but rather JHC puppets. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is actually quite a dark film, and I'm still shocked it got away with a PG rating, given all the language and innuendo from Baby Herman and Jessica Rabbit alone. What you're proposing sounds similar to MFS, and I personally thought Gonzo being revealed as an alien was a bit too obvious and therefore uninteresting.
Happy Time Murders? That's not going to happen. It seems to be something that would play to college kids... almost like an even darker version of Greg the Bunny (but probably smarter writing).

As for explaining how they came to Earth? It doesn't need it. Gonzo didn't need to be revealed an alien. The magic is that they are here, they co-exist with humans, and they always have with no problem. Sort of like how the 1960's cartoon Chipmunks never had to explain what a grown man is doing with 3 human sized singing animals, but the 80's cartoon had to, and it just lost the weird factor. Explaining magic ruins it. Sometimes things work better if they're just there.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Happy Time Murders? That's not going to happen. It seems to be something that would play to college kids... almost like an even darker version of Greg the Bunny (but probably smarter writing).

As for explaining how they came to Earth? It doesn't need it. Gonzo didn't need to be revealed an alien. The magic is that they are here, they co-exist with humans, and they always have with no problem. Sort of like how the 1960's cartoon Chipmunks never had to explain what a grown man is doing with 3 human sized singing animals, but the 80's cartoon had to, and it just lost the weird factor. Explaining magic ruins it. Sometimes things work better if they're just there.
My thoughts exactly.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
I've re-thought what I wrote.
It's the editing of the last scene. Too many chops.

Gonzo's bowling ball hit should have come after the " The End" tittle, " NEWS CAPTION,

Then followed by the scene with Gary and Mary. It would have been less messy and rushed.

The Manamana song would not have been cut and split that way either.

PuppetMaster

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good.But,I have to agree.It could have been better.

Mupp

Reaction score
I know it's gotten almost 100% unanimous praise from critics and fans alike, but after seeing it a couple times I just cannot shake loose that something is not just a little but drastically off.
After reading this article on what was deleted, I am so wishing we lived in a world where THIS was the final cut of the movie. It would have tied EVERYTHING together, and would have been a near flawless film. Watching it now, I feel Im glimpsing something that is special, but that Im glimpsing something that HAD the potential to be even more stellar
Beaker, I should have known that after years of waiting for this movie, that when it came out, you would be ungrateful.

All you can do is complain about what was NOT in the film and say "the film could have been better"? Read that again out-loud.
That's gratitude for you.

This is nothing special, every movie ever made has had scenes cut out of the final product. Besides the running time, they most likely had other reasons for making the cuts.

It is what it is.

They could just have not made the movie at all, would you have liked that better? That way, you would not have anything to complain about, and you would not have had to experience any disappointment.

Its a good thing that Peter Linz said he is avoiding reading reviews.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beaker, I should have known that after years of waiting for this movie, that when it came out, you would be ungrateful.

All you can do is complain about what was NOT in the film and say "the film could have been better"? Read that again out-loud.

This is nothing special, every movie ever made has had scenes cut out of the final product. Besides the running time, they most likely had other reasons for making the cuts.
Any and every movie could be better, even the best of films. Sure, I shudder to think what would make TMM and GMC better... but certainly improvements across the board with most of the other films. Some were quite good as they were, but could have used something. There are movies that an alternate take or extra sequence can make all the difference. Look at how Lucas keeps fussing over the Star Wars films. Adding scenes, changing scenes, adding characters... it all changes context of the films (though, in this case, they weren't for the better).

I loved the film greatly, and find it the best post-Henson Muppet project out there... but even then, I agree... there were some great scenes and concepts lost in the final cut that would have made the movie shine all the more brightly. Like I always say, there's no problem in The Muppets that couldn't be resolved with more movie, and who amongst us wouldn't have wanted more movie? Why else do you think I'm fuming over the deleted scenes being Blu-exclusive?

Personally, I still don't see why a minute's worth of Tex's song needed to be cut. In that minute, everything was explained, it would have helped the ending which came off a little nonsequitor and perhaps a might rushed. Instead, we got punchlines to a set up that didn't exist. Now, I'm not going to pan the movie for one lost scene (unless it's MFS, but that was the director's fault), but it would have turned an A film into an A + for me.

Oscarfan

Reaction score

It is what it is.

They could just have not made the movie at all, would you have liked that better? That way, you would not have anything to complain about, and you would not have had to experience any disappointment.

Its a good thing that Peter Linz said he is avoiding reading reviews.
Can you answer me this? Why do you disappear time and time again, only to re-appear with nothing to do but find negative comments and try to tear them to shreds?

I liked the film and I'm grateful for it. But, no one will say it was 100% perfect. I had problems with it and so did many people. That doesn't mean we liked any less. I have some issues with GMC (particularly "Piggy's Fantasy"), but that hasn't stopped it from being my favorite of the Muppet movies.

Stop it, please. In trying to make other people look bad, you only succeed in making yourself look worse.

Alvin

Reaction score
OK...stupid question...if they lost the theater AND the MUPPETS name in the movie...what could possibly be next?? Just saying....