Successful Muppet recreations

BorkBork

Reaction score
Tom, now that's just AMAZING!!!!
I love all the puppet's you've made (haven't seen the rest yet). Especially the muppet replicas. Now that's what i am aiming to do!!!

Could you please go ahead and tell us what techniques you have been using? I'd love to know, and so would most of us.

Warrick, your's are also great. I havecredited you before, and i do it again!!! Great work all of ya!

/Anders

BorkBork

Reaction score
sorry, i was too eager that i didn't read it all. I saw that you kinda eplained how you did them, Still, GREAT WORK *hummenahummenahummana..*

/Anders

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Anders,

Thanks man !

And Tom, I really want to hear anything you have to say about how to make those replicas.

Im so thinking about making a Chef now !

See ya

Tom Morrow

Reaction score

Originally posted by monkeymuppet
Holy crap Tom, that's some cool stuff. You are now officially my new hero, sorry Jimmy Fallon . Did you learn how to make all that stuff somewhere, or did you just experiment?
Thanks man! i bumped off Jimmy Fallon? keen :smile:

I learned by a lot of error and trial... like i said, someday i'll post some old pics. (lots of error in there!) Build and build ...then build some more :smile:

Also, i found being a puppet performer is very helpful. If you perform em, then you know what you need in terms of ease of use, flexibility, etc.

I did an internship with Henson back in 93 as a wrangler's assistant for a season of Sesame. Being exposed to (what i feel are) some of the very highest quality puppets in the world sure doesn't hurt! (although i'd say most of my characters were done just before that time)

Either way, i'm just now imersing myself to the net's puppet resources and finding A LOT of stuff that would've helped me back in the day... heck, i'm finding tons of info that help me now!

tom

Tom Morrow

Reaction score
Re: Anders,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
Thanks man !

And Tom, I really want to hear anything you have to say about how to make those replicas.

Im so thinking about making a Chef now !

See ya

Do it man! A chunk of foam and some scissors and you're on your way! I used two identical regular men's shirts for his shirt. Used one as the main shirt and the other for scrap fabric to extend the sides into the arms. (tough to explain, but i'm sure you have an idea of how his body is... think Rowlf)

I made a small chest section of 1" foam and that's about it body-wise. Grab a friend to do the hands and YA BORSH DES VERN DE YORN DE HEY!! :smile:

tom

BryanS

Reaction score
Tom you are really a talented puppet builder.
I saw where you wrote you interned for henson in 93
im sure that gave you alot of insight as to how the muppet style puppets are built. And to scale how big they really are. I am still trying to figure out how to build Kermit. I thought he would be one of the more simple muppet puppets to replicate but I guess I was wrong. LOL what do the muppets mouth plates feel like? do they have any type of finger grips in them? I have been told before that Kermit's head does not have any foam in it. is that true? And they say that his eyes are made from half ping pong balls, but they seem to be too small and hard to attach to the proto type I have been working on. If ya have any PICS of your replica Kermit or Kermit's please please send them LOL. or any other suggestions you have.

Thijs

Reaction score
Gee Tom. Respect, respect!!! You did a really great job. Usually I don`t like seeing replicas, `cause they are never like the original, but YOUR replicas! I almost don`t see the difference!
And Monkey: I love your avatar, and I really want to see the rest of your creations, but your links don`t work. Don`t know why.

I am really getting inspired by seeing al those creations!

BorkBork

Reaction score
i can not sy it enough times, tom...EXELLENT!

when you say chef is carved from foam...is it like you have a big square foam cube or something and cut out the shape from that???
Isn't that extremely hard to get it correct?

/Anders

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
which monkey? There are 2 of us. We're multiplying like rabbits except were monkeys.