1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Successful Muppet recreations

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by The Dreamer, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

You have great talent! I loooove your puppets!!!! Amazing work! Would you mind telling all of us how you got started in doing a local TV show? :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  2. MUPPETMONKEY

MUPPETMONKEY Active Member

Thank you Scooter I really appreciate your comment!:D

Many Years ago, In a City Far away....

A friend and I made a pilot for a TV show starring only puppets with the illusion of selling it right away. Of course...that was a Hollywood dream. But that's what dreams are made of.
    At the same time I was self publishing a comic book and I needed all kind of advertising in order to sell it.
    A year later I went to a radio station for a live interview about the comic book and the host happened to star in a Noon Tv Show also. I showed him the demo and he loved it.
    He asked us to perform the puppets in his show and if the audience's reaction was good, then he will hire us to do spots on the program.
    The audience's laugh was like a long awaited dream coming true.
    4 years passed after that moment and I'm still doing some spots on that show but also a TV Show starring all the puppets from that program emerged from the popularity of the characters.
    The comic book? I had to stop drawing it, but you can find my work in the Looney Tunes comics.
    The puppets? We are producing a Christmas TV special right now with them. I'll post some pictures of it soon.

Don't ever stop dreaming. :)

David Alvarez
    (MuppetMonkey)
  3. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow New Member

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of different puppets and more than a few recreations of Muppets when i started... most were pretty so-so but a few came out better than i'd ever hoped. A lot were just patterned foam and hot glue, but the more recent ones are a bit better.

Here's a gallery of many of my characters. Newer guys are towards the top and older ones at the bottom. Scroll to the bottom of this page for pics of my LINK, RIZZO, STATLER, WALDORF and CHEF

http://homepage.mac.com/bluesnal/PhotoAlbum1.html

Statler and Waldorf are heads only and were sculpted by me and then cast in latex rubber. I had planned on doing them in foam so i could make them into puppets to heckle at my bud's wedding (long story!) but had a bad batch of plaster and BOTH molds went south (longer story!) :(

The chef is carved foam (but not flocked) and Rizzo is terrycloth painted to look like his fur. Link is also carved foam.

I made Link and Rizzo over 10 years ago... the chef and old guys are a bit more recent... tho not much. Back in the 80's when i was just starting to build puppets, i did as we all seem to do and built lots of Muppet repros. I found trying to mimic certain details gave me the skills to create many of my original characters.

maybe someday i'll scan in those old pics of all my other muppet replicas i made in jr high!
    tom
  4. ToasterBoy

ToasterBoy Member

All these pages are great. Tanks for posting them. It's giving me a lot of ideas on how to go about my puppet. Tom, it's also nice to see a fellow Mac user.

Okay, so, eyes. You guys put the eyes directly over the fur? Or do you attatch the fur around the eyes and attatch the eyes to the foam?

Thanks

Grant
  5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I do it eyes to fur, trimming out the area DIRECTLY under the eyes, unless it's like half a ping pong ball, then I leave the fur alone. Just depends on the kind of eye you're making, actually.
  6. ToasterBoy

ToasterBoy Member

i will probably go with half a ping pong ball. I also have two small craft eyes, but I think thay look too small. I'm not sure.

Here's another question....I got some LONG fur for my dog puppet (I'm making a Pomeranian) and can that long 1 1/2" - 2" fur be trimmed nicely? This dog I'm patterning the puppet after has short hair on her face, then long on the sides of the head. I thought I'd cover the whole thing with the fur, then trim it (and toothbrush in a little grey, it's an older dog).

Pictures soon!

Grant
  7. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

8. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus New Member

Tom,
    I really liked your page! You have great talent! I really liked the Yoda you made and the Wompa! Great job!

Jake
  9. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow New Member

Thanks Jake (and others) for the kind words...

the Yoda was just a bit of a re-do i did to an Illusive concepts yoda. The head was done by Mario Chiodo, so the sculpt was great but the finish work was done very badly. A little paint, new eyes, hand punched hair, new fingernails, a nice weathered up robe and new cane and he was much happier (as was i :) )

the Wampa was a fun one... first time i used National Fiber Tech hair. Stupid expensive, but OH BOY that fur is some good stuff!
    tom
  10. monkeymuppet

monkeymuppet New Member

Holy crap Tom, that's some cool stuff. You are now officially my new hero, sorry Jimmy Fallon . Did you learn how to make all that stuff somewhere, or did you just experiment?
  11. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Tom, now that's just AMAZING!!!!
    I love all the puppet's you've made (haven't seen the rest yet). Especially the muppet replicas. Now that's what i am aiming to do!!!

Could you please go ahead and tell us what techniques you have been using? I'd love to know, and so would most of us.

BlueFrackle, your's are also great. I havecredited you before, and i do it again!!! Great work all of ya!

/Anders
  12. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

sorry, i was too eager that i didn't read it all. I saw that you kinda eplained how you did them, Still, GREAT WORK *hummenahummenahummana..*

/Anders
  13. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Anders,

Thanks man !

And Tom, I really want to hear anything you have to say about how to make those replicas.

Im so thinking about making a Chef now !

See ya
  14. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

15. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow New Member

Thanks man! i bumped off Jimmy Fallon? keen :)

I learned by a lot of error and trial... like i said, someday i'll post some old pics. (lots of error in there!) Build and build ...then build some more :)

Also, i found being a puppet performer is very helpful. If you perform em, then you know what you need in terms of ease of use, flexibility, etc.

I did an internship with Henson back in 93 as a wrangler's assistant for a season of Sesame. Being exposed to (what i feel are) some of the very highest quality puppets in the world sure doesn't hurt! (although i'd say most of my characters were done just before that time)

Either way, i'm just now imersing myself to the net's puppet resources and finding A LOT of stuff that would've helped me back in the day... heck, i'm finding tons of info that help me now!

tom
  16. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow New Member

Re: Anders,

Do it man! A chunk of foam and some scissors and you're on your way! I used two identical regular men's shirts for his shirt. Used one as the main shirt and the other for scrap fabric to extend the sides into the arms. (tough to explain, but i'm sure you have an idea of how his body is... think Rowlf)

I made a small chest section of 1" foam and that's about it body-wise. Grab a friend to do the hands and YA BORSH DES VERN DE YORN DE HEY!! :)

tom
  17. BryanS

BryanS New Member

Tom you are really a talented puppet builder.
    I saw where you wrote you interned for henson in 93
    im sure that gave you alot of insight as to how the muppet style puppets are built. And to scale how big they really are. I am still trying to figure out how to build Kermit. I thought he would be one of the more simple muppet puppets to replicate but I guess I was wrong. LOL what do the muppets mouth plates feel like? do they have any type of finger grips in them? I have been told before that Kermit's head does not have any foam in it. is that true? And they say that his eyes are made from half ping pong balls, but they seem to be too small and hard to attach to the proto type I have been working on. If ya have any PICS of your replica Kermit or Kermit's please please send them LOL. or any other suggestions you have.
  18. Thijs

Thijs Member

Gee Tom. Respect, respect!!! You did a really great job. Usually I don`t like seeing replicas, `cause they are never like the original, but YOUR replicas! I almost don`t see the difference!
    And Monkey: I love your avatar, and I really want to see the rest of your creations, but your links don`t work. Don`t know why.

I am really getting inspired by seeing al those creations!
  19. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

i can not sy it enough times, tom...EXELLENT!

when you say chef is carved from foam...is it like you have a big square foam cube or something and cut out the shape from that???
    Isn't that extremely hard to get it correct?

/Anders
  20. monkeymuppet

monkeymuppet New Member

which monkey? There are 2 of us. We're multiplying like rabbits except were monkeys.