Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

zoebell

Reaction score
well, i always wondered if frank never developed the right rapport with steve to continue doing things with their characters together. i mean, the whole kermit/fozzie relationship practically disappeared in the 90's, and even kermit and piggy weren't what they used to be

i feel like eric taking over those characters has enabled them to get back some of the spark of what they had before. kermit/fozzie was resurrected and kermit and piggy have a good dynamic again, after missing it for a while. i think steve and eric work well together

dwayne1115

Reaction score
this is really a suprise and a shock. I don't know how I feel about this from this point and I have my reasons.

zoebell

Reaction score
funny that all the press on this seems to be about jason segel not being involved. i don't think it's cause to panic at all- i think stoller and bobin were just as much (if not more) of the reason why it turned out so good in the first place

i think jason was the driving force behind getting it made obviously, but he himself said in an interview that he just wanted to relaunch them so that they could go on and do whatever they wanted

i just think he managed to associate himself so closely with them as they were being relaunched that people expected him to be at the helm from now on or something. i never thought that would be the case though. plus, you know he'll be involved anyway, he'll probably still give feedback and stay a producer i bet

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
As much as I love Segal, and appreciate his enthusiasm for The Muppets, it's good that he's not IN the (potential) new movie. His story in the film is finished. It had closure. There's no need to have him in the next one. Now, I'd love for him to write it, as he has a pretty good grasp on the Muppet style, it would seem. But be in it? No thanks.

One thing I'm worried about with this sequel is the potential for it to bomb. The first one was excellent, but it also relied heavily on nostalgia. Will the public be open to a new Muppet movie? I know I will, and I know everyone here will! But can it make the 160 million+ worldwide that THE MUPPETS has?

zoebell

Reaction score
well, assuming this one does well on dvd, i think it could.

i think that crowd of 20 and 30 somethings that showed up for this one and loved it will see another one. the question mark is the kids, really. that was the reason this one had a drop off in spite of such positive reaction. nostalgia doesn't work for kids who don't know the muppets already

so i think we've got to hope that the dvd sales will work to introduce more kids to the equation, and a brand new story next time around will have it do better with that particular audience as well. because i still think the muppets can and do appeal to kids and always will, but the nostalgia and seriousness of the story in this one was squarely aimed at adults who know and love the muppets already. i think all it would take is a new and fresh adventure to bring the kids in next time

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The first one was excellent, but it also relied heavily on nostalgia.
My local papers weren't kind in their reviews of the movie, one reviewer said the movie put too much focus into "hero worship" of the Muppets, and not enough into the actual storyline.

Borples

Reaction score
There's just one thing I would have a problem with. Would Walter be in the new movie? If he was then that will be a sequel.
Not necessarily. Most of the major Muppets had an "origin story" in one of the movies. Take Rizzo--he's a good example b/c he wasn't a part of the original TMS gang. Granted, he had a tiny little role in GMC, but forget that for a second. His origin story was in TMTM. But that doesn't make any later movies featuring him sequels of TMTM. I think as long as a new movie with Walter didn't heavily reference the story from TM2011 (what are we calling that one in short form?), it wouldn't necessarily be a sequel. He's just a Muppet now, yaknow?

Borples

Reaction score
well, i always wondered if frank never developed the right rapport with steve to continue doing things with their characters together. i mean, the whole kermit/fozzie relationship practically disappeared in the 90's, and even kermit and piggy weren't what they used to be
You know, I was watching The Muppets on the Muppets the other day, and I was marveling at how easy and funny Kermit and Fozzie were together. It was great. I agree that the chemistry between Steve's Kermit and Frank's characters seemed off in the movies and scripted materials, sometimes. But they seemed to do fine off-the-cuff. I don't know why that would have been, but it was just something I noticed.