1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Slackbot draws stuff

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Slackbot, Nov 22, 2010.

1. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

How about a sketch of ol' Rowlfie?
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  2. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Could you do Sam?
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I just came back from Dragon*Con. I haven't forgotten these requests; I've just been so busy doll wiggling and meeting interesting people. People like...

[​IMG]

...Heather Henson, who spoke at a Fraggle Rock panel. Heh, Janken was all over the con, posing for hundreds of photos (there's a lot of love out there for Fraggles and Muppets, let me tell you!) and raising heck, but in this shot he looks rather sheepish. I imagine he's a bit shy about meeting one of the family of the Founder, what with him being a mere fan character and all. ;)

This might amuse anyone who's read my other stories: In several of my fics Janken has been shown to have stage terror. His home is the camera console on stage left. He does not want to get up on the stage! Well, Peter Linz had a "Puppetry on TV" panel, complete with camera and monitor and projector, and I was one of the puppeteers who got up there and tried to cope with the non-mirrored monitor down below. That wasn't so hard, but when we all got together, every time he'd say to lean right, I'd sway Janken to the left. I just could not get it right, to the amusement of the audience. On the third take his puppet jokingly swatted Janken, who was trembling and hiding his eyes in shame. Doesn't it figure that, even in puppet form, Janken can't get his act together in front of a camera?
  4. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

LOL! I could imagine that would happen. I had a dream last night, and I was puppeteering a Muppet Whatnot and I got embarrased, because everyone laughed well at least not at me and at my Whatnot which is nice. It was weird!
  5. charlietheowl

That's awesome you got to meet a real live Henson! I'm glad that Janken had a good time and was such a big hit with the other people at the convention.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  6. Walter

Walter Active Member

I thought you guys were great! It was so much fun, and Janken fit in very well with the others! I really enjoyed talking to you, Janken, Heather, Peter, and Walter.:fanatic:
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  7. Slackbot

Work-in-progress that I started last night...

[​IMG]

I feel a lot more confident this time around, as I got a lot of mistakes out of the way with Janken. Of course, new problems challenges are presenting themselves, as this puppet is different structurally. For instance, this puppet will have to support up to 7 ounces of weight on its head, so it needs a thicker foam skull to avoid getting smooshy. And because the mouth is so wide, the gasket rubber mouthplates bent in the middle, making it look terrible when the mouth was closed. Solution: cannibalizing a cheap plastic container, the kind you get for a few bucks at Target, for some hard plastic.

So, this is actually the second skull I made. No problem; with Janken I made nearly everything twice. I'm a writer, I'm used to doing multiple drafts. Now things are going faster because I have a bit of a clue as to what I'm doing. And I have Antron fleece and Rit dye in my arsenal, mwaahaahaa!

(I haven't forgotten the requested sketch requests. I just haven't drawn anything lately. That's a bad habit.)
  8. charlietheowl

That looks like you're going to be making something cool there! Can't wait to see how it looks later on.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  9. Slackbot

I can't wait either! So I'll likely be working on this a good bit. ;)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  10. Slackbot

Today I succumbed to the siren call of some blank paper and a double-edged Sharpie...

[​IMG]

Sharpie Doodle Dump: Lotta messing around on paper, some for fic or an upcoming project, some just random messin' around. If anyone can guess who I was drawing Janken (at upper right) as, I will be impressed.

And now, the funniest drawing I have ever done:
    [​IMG]
    GopherCoffee, ncchuck and Walter like this.
  11. muppetfan24/7

Holy Mokey! Those are great drawings! I love those drawings! Wembley being Wembley! LOL! And smiling? Wow! I love it! The friendship bond of Mokey and Gobo is a very nice touch for your drawings. The funniest thing you drew was bananna! (laughs!) Oh, you just make my day. Oh, I almost forgot. My birthday's tommorrow so happy birthday to me.
  12. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Okay--someone HAS to say... It's a BANANA SKETCH!

...What--YOU'VE never HEARD of the BANANA SKETCH? <Gasp!>

<ahem> Okay. I feel better now. It just had to be said. :halo: Really, though, I like that drawing.

...And it's a BANANA SKETCH! ...And I'm tired, so everything's hilarious right now. I'm going to end this post now before I keep rambling and randomly shouting "banana sketch" and generally being annoying to well-rested people who will have to read this post in the future. BANANA SKETCH! ...See? Annoying. Right. I'm really stopping now and going to bed. Really, I promise! (In addition to making everything hilarious, being tired also tends to make me ramble and makes it very difficult for me to end a post...)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  13. muppetfan24/7

I have never Ever heard of a BANANNA sketch Lisa. I don't even get it. Well, you made me smile. LOL! I really like how you make me laugh.
  14. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

I love how clean and neat your lineart looks! As hilarious as your banana sketch is, the cross hatching is so pretty!

And while I don't know who you've drawn Janken as, helooksveryscarylikehe'sabouttohurtmesoI'lljustgonowbye! *runs off*
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  15. charlietheowl

Wembley looks so happy and cute there! Aaah! I could just grab him and give him a giant hug!

Thanks for posting!
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  16. Slackbot

You guys got The Banana Sketch reference right away. Ah, I'm proud to be one of you Muppet nerds. :)

I don't usually draw simple and cartoony like the two color doodles because I like shading and textures, but there really is something to be said for it. It's faster, it looks clean, and I can get silly with it, throwing in things like the Don Martin-esque big toe on Wembley. (Plus, it's much easier to draw Wembley's hair in this style!) I've been toying with the idea of doing one of my recent short stories in comic form, and if I do it'll probably be in a simple style like this.

I recently watched Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me. I remember loving that show, and then being disappointed when it lost its energy in the second season after Lynch and Frost left and other writers tried to keep it going without being able to follow the creators' vision. It gained back some energy toward the end , but that wasn't enough to save it. FWWM had some great points, but overall it was confusing, disjointed, and too long, and it had some painful continuity clashes with the TV series. Anyhow, when I was playing Silent Hill 2 and 3 I drew some Muppets and Fraggles in situations from those games just for giggles, so after watching Twin Peaks I drew Janken as BOB. (Warning: The link leads to some not-nice info about an icky character. Here's a plain image of BOB without the info.)
    GopherCoffee and newsmanfan like this.
  17. Slackbot

Remember the T-shirt the girl was wearing in the Do it Anyway video? I haven't seen any official copies of that image, so...

[​IMG]

Boy Gorg: The high-res version should be suitable for T-shirts, should anyone happen to want Junior's face all over their chest.
  18. muppetfan24/7

Wow! I love your boy gorg drawing. Cool! (laughs softly!) :coy:
  19. Slackbot

Thanks. I was working from a pair of blurry screencaps I got from the HD version of the video, so I'm not too sure about some of the colors. The fill in the letters and the bandana seemed to be purple, but that was just my guess.

I did search the web for images of Boy George/Culture Club shirts and posters, hoping that this was a spoof of one of those, but no dice.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  20. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Somehow your art of "Boy Gorg" made it on to Cafepress. That's cool, but are you getting any profits? If not, that would suck! :p

Here's the link
    GopherCoffee likes this.