Scariest Muppet Show Moment

RKUNKLER

Reaction score
Sean Gaffney said:
2) The monster singing Windmills of Your Mind. Both because I found him slightly freakish, and also the abruptness of his crashing into the windmill at the end made me jump in shock/fright.

For some deranged reason, the Muppet singing You Are My Sunshine getting blown up (as I was watching these first-run, and was about 3-4 years old, this is less surprising, I suppose).

--SG
I too thought the Windmills of Your Mind was verry scary. I was scared by the words and the way he sings the song. it gives me the willies just thinking about it. The sketch is Hugga Wugga and the monster who sings Hugga Wugga gets blown up.

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
Okay... this is gonna be weird but my scariest MS moment was when I saw Mahna Mahna for the 1st time when I was 2 yrs. old!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
RKUNKLER said:
I too thought the Windmills of Your Mind was verry scary.
I used to be TERRIFED of the Windmills of Your Mind song. Mainly the fast music that started as he started singing. ::shiver::

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I didn't see too much when I was really small, so I don't have any weird scary memories. However I did see the Alice Cooper episode not too long ago... Freaky. lol!

peyjenk

Reaction score
As kids, we had one (count 'em: one) episode of The Muppet Show on tape, and it was the one with Alice Cooper. That tape got a mileage, but it always creeped me out. Especially the scene with the stalagtites and stalactites and their "splitting headache." I still don't get that scene.

Also, I remember one part of a special on Jim Henson that we had taped. Somewhere in a montage of clips from Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, etc., there was one shot of one of the Fierys from Labyrinth pulling out his eyeballs. I haaaated that part, and would always look away. I didn't see the actual film until years afterwards, and until that time I didn't have a clue what that was about.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I always liked "Windmills of Your Mind." Like other Muppety things, this was the first time I was exposed to the song. Years later I found out it was the theme song to the Steve McQueen movie The Thomas Crown Affair.

When I was a young 'un, the "Night and Day" number from the Gladys Knight episode used to scare me. Even though I knew it was Kermit, Gonzo and Fozzie as mummies, those creepy, whispery voices stuck in my mind and would occasionally haunt me late at night when I couldn't sleep. Even though it turns comical towards the end, with the mummies doing a kick-line, it was still freaky!

What a way to be introduced to one of Cole Porter's classiest, sophisticated songs, eh? :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know, I really thought I was over my fear of "Windmills of Your Mind." Then the other day it comes up MC radio, and as soon as that fast music started, it all came back!!! ::shiver::

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Also, I remember one part of a special on Jim Henson that we had taped. Somewhere in a montage of clips from Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, etc., there was one shot of one of the Fierys from Labyrinth pulling out his eyeballs. I haaaated that part, and would always look away. I didn't see the actual film until years afterwards, and until that time I didn't have a clue what that was about.
I believe that was "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson", the first thing they did after Jim's death. I also used to look away at that part. Creepy and gross.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
When I was a young 'un, the "Night and Day" number from the Gladys Knight episode used to scare me. Even though I knew it was Kermit, Gonzo and Fozzie as mummies, those creepy, whispery voices stuck in my mind and would occasionally haunt me late at night when I couldn't sleep. Even though it turns comical towards the end, with the mummies doing a kick-line, it was still freaky!
Actually, it was Gonzo and two Whatnots. I thought the sarcophagi were scarier, what with the deep voices of Jim and esp. Frank. Speaking of Frank's scary voice, Hugga Wugga scared me. The voice mostly, and the destroying the other characters. I used to sit on top of the couch when something scared me, so that whatever it was wouldn't get me.

Much of "Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff" scared me or freaked me out. This included:
-"All Of Me" (scary voice at first, takes self apart- yipe!)
-"Hugga Wugga"
-"Jabberwocky" (sorta)
-"I Feel Pretty" (she goes from cute to, well, you know)
-"I've Got You Under My Skin" (I felt sorry for Shaky; I had seen him before only in the Roger Moore episode, in a picture with Avery Schreiber in "Of Muppets and Men" and the fears poem w/Zero Mostel, never dreamed that he began his career by getting eaten)

Eatings used to scare me- I was in my 20s when I saw "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Disappearing Clues" and I covered my eyes when he ate Baskerville- then I grew to love them. I was scared when Gorgon Heap ate Wayne, when he ate Pierre LaCousse, and when he ate Piggy and moreso when he ate Baskerville. I had thought there was an unwritten rule against eating furry animals- imagine, kids would be afraid that said monster would eat their pets. That's also one of the reasons I don't like Big Mean Carl, aside from his face, and voice- hideous and terrifying!

I was also scared of:
-the African Masks
-Big Mama when she bursts in at the end of that Don Knotts sketch
-when Doug Henning cut up the big purple monster in the case
-the murders in the Liza Minnelli episode

There are more that I can't think of now. I was a cowardly child, that much is for certain.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole