1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Questions we may never know the answer

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by AmazingMumford, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

I wasn't around in the 1970's, but I know that Maria and David were in a relationship back then. Does anyone know when exactly they broke up? David didn't seem to be completely over her when she and Luis got married. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this...
  2. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I don't think there was an official break-up episode. In fact, in the book Street Gang, it says that Northern Calloway was upset that they didn't have Maria marry Luis, but the producers or whoever thought it'd be risky to have an interracial marriage on the show, especially since they already went through a bit of trouble to get the marriage approved of in the first place. But then in the 40th anniversary book, it says that they originally DID consider having Maria and David marry instead, only for Northern to ask them to reconsider due to his poor health.

Considering Northern died a few years after the marriage, it probably is best that Maria didn't marry David. Not sure whether they would have wanted to an episode dealing with David's death (though it could have led to a possibility of adding single-parenting to the curriculum). Though I do wonder, when either of the actors playing a married character dies, I wonder if the absense will be explained.
  3. Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

I know that the marriage/pregnancy storyline came about because Sonia Manzano became pregnant in real life. If I remember correctly, Northern's final episode was the one with Gabi's birth. It definitely would have been depressing to see the next season start with Maria becoming a widow and raising Gabi alone...

I don't know what they'd do after the death of an actor playing a married character. In a way, I think it would be good to write their absence into the show, either by having the character die or making something up (like when David left to live with his grandmother) rather than recast the role or act as if the character never existed.
  4. cjd874 Well-Known Member

Speaking of David...here's a question that probably no one knows the answer to:
    We know the last names of the characters Maria and Luis (Rodriguez), Susan and Gordon (Robinson), Gina (Jefferson), and Bob (Johnson) from reading the SS 40 Years of Sunny Days book. But was there ever any mentioning of David's last name on the show, or in writing?
  5. Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

That's a good question! I don't think David's last name was ever mentioned. Same with Linda. I used to think that Linda's last name was Bove, like the actress, but Bob McGrath's character is named Bob Johnson, so I don't know.
  6. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

No..David's last name was never mentioned. In fact...no one's last names were really mentioned until around I'd say the later seasons. Gordon Susan & Miles are the Robinsons. (tribute to Matt Robinson since he was the first one to play Gordon)There's a thread around here somewhere asking if Chris is Olivia's (Gordon's sister)'s son or not so his last name might be Robinson too. , Luis Maria & Gabi are the Rodriguezes , (I thought they kept Linda as Linda Bove & Bob as "Bob McGrath")
  7. cjd874 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that is an interesting idea...since Chris is Gordon & Susan's nephew, then yes, logically Chris is Olivia's son, even though Olivia never had a child on the show.
    Unless Gordon and Olivia had other siblings that didn't live on the Street.
    ^ But then again, NO ONE will ever know the answer to that.

Back on topic, I never heard David's last name mentioned either. I've seen a lot of classic clips & street scenes on Youtube, but nothing mentioning David's last name, or Linda's. Thanks for your ideas, everyone!
  8. Piggy The Frog Well-Known Member

It's a mystery! :search:
  9. cjd874 Well-Known Member

E-GAD!!! Not even "the world's greatest detective" would be able to solve it....
    Piggy The Frog likes this.
  10. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

After posting about Chris I read in Muppet Wiki that Chris has a (fraternal) twin sister named Christy (both on the show and off the show.But Christy just appeared twice on the show)
  11. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I had to go through all the pages to see if anyone (including myself) had posted this. But no one has. But there was an earlier sketch where Ernie had eaten Bert's ice cream sundae .So he attempted to make a new one out of mashed up bananas, gravy & ice cubes. Bert said he wasn't going to eat that. When Oscar saw it he said excitedly, "My second favorite dessert!" (So what's Oscar's first favorite dessert??)
  12. fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Kathy, is that you? :) :) :)
  13. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was some kind of sundae that included one or more of the following: dill pickles, anchovis, and/or sardines.
  14. cjd874 Well-Known Member

There are some sources that say Oscar's favorite dessert is strawberry ice cream with pickles and sardines. I think it says so in the SS book "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Smell No Evil," the "Oscar and the number 4" bit by Mel Crawford from the SS Book of Numbers (1973), and the rare audio introduction to "The Grouch Song."
    Hubert likes this.
  15. fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

There's a little-known Muppet song, where Jerry's character sings "I say wonderful", and Frank's responds "I say YUCK!", and there are little inserts- one shows two Muppet ladies admiring each other's hats, then behind their back going "BLECCHHHH!!!!"
    In another insert Mr. Hooper fixes Oscar a strawberry ice cream cone, which Oscar thought was yucky because it had no pickles on it. So there you have it.
  16. cjd874 Well-Known Member

On YouTube:
  17. muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing, cjd874. When I was younger, I thought everything was beautiful. Now, ugh... the world is nothing but conflict. Bleechh! :sigh:

The video however was a good one.
  18. SesameMike Member

In the intro to "The Grouch Song" on the Sesame Street 2 album, Oscar says:
    Though in that same song, Oscar also describes ice cream "...as yucky as can be." But if you put on the right toppings...