1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Questions we may never know the answer

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by AmazingMumford, Mar 5, 2005.

1. NantoSeiken

NantoSeiken Member

1. The baker looks absolutely nothing like Henson, despite it being his voice.

2. Even back in the 70s, there is no way on earth the insurance companies would allow someone as important as Henson to take a pratfall down some stairs!
  2. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Another question comes to mind.

When Cab Calloway sang "I Wanna Count" with the Count, there was aboslutely no counting in the song what so ever.

What's up with that?
  3. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Yes there was. The Count did count to 10 I think at the end.
  4. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Try this question on for size:

In the sketch where Grover was talking about the "EXIT" sign, Little Jerry and his Monotones were barging out the door right?

Was Big Jeffy a student or a teacher?

Judging by his age I would've thought he was a teacher.
  5. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Wait, wait, one more:

When Count was on Beat the Time, his choices for a prize were, a trip to Florida, a new wsher drier and $1,000,000. And as we know Count wanted another 20 seconds for a prize.

Why did he not take the money? For that he could've counted to 1,000,000.

Weird no?
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if Petey, Raphael, Tom, or Molly the Mail Lady ever sang on this show? Are there any human cast members who never sang on Sesame Street?
  7. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Try this classic:

When Cookie Monster gets bothered by a pesky little buzzer, when he is on a picnic, he gives the pest a Z, right?

Why would he carry a Z around?

:confused:
  8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Well why would anyone wanna by an O, an 8, a bunch of 9's?

Just something to think about.
  9. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

You both have points!

On the one hand, Mike is right about the premise behind some letter/number segments being bizarre by real-world standards. Lots of Muppets carry lesson material around the way that fancy-car driver carries Grey Poupon in the ad ("But of course!") Because Sesame Street's "brought to you today by..." tag was inspired by network-TV commercials, though, that behavior makes sense in a way.

On the other hand, Soul H is right about Cookie Monster's "fly at the picnic" sketch: until he produces the Z at the very end, most kids would think that sketch was going to teach about nutrition, not letters. A fly rejecting cookies in favor of healthier food sounds reasonable for Sesame Street--but in favor of a Z?!? That might have been believable if the fly had been buzzing loudly throughout the sketch, and if Cookie had remarked about the noise reminding him of the letter. The version that actually aired, unfortunately, seems bizarre even by the show's usual standards.
  10. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Member

The same reason Big Bird and Gordon both own, and have stepped on their J's.
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Stepped on their J's?
  12. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I'm with Mike on that reference: even with my memory for Sesame Street sketches, I don't recall anything that included characters stepping on J's. For that matter, I remember only two sketches in which a character claimed ownership of a J--

1. "This Is My J", a Sinatra parody sung by a construction-worker Muppet. (I'm not sure whether the singer was Biff, Sully, or just a similar Anything Muppet...)
    2. A Bert/Ernie sketch in which one of them (I forget which) threw out a collection of R's to make room for a new collection of J's.
    Neither of those included Gordon or Big Bird; Daffyfan, could you please tell me which clip(s) you were alluding to? Thanks so much!
  13. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Your remarks about his counting the cash remind me of a multi-part sketch from an early 70s episode: the Count goes to his bank, asking the teller to withdraw his entire balance in singles and let the Count check the amount himself. Of course, our favorite purple vampire turns out to be a multimillionaire... (Considering that the show places Sesame Street in New York City, it's not too far-fetched for a local bank to have that many $1 bills! ;) ) If I'd been the Count, I would've thought like you; why choose a few more measly seconds when you can choose a MUCH more countable prize?
  14. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Member

Um...I think you were talking to me... But here's the clip. It's at the very end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKxVBYYHyo

I wasn't sure people would know what I meant since I believe this was the second season premier. I only knew about it because of this clip.

It looks more like a partially cut off U to me. And what's with Bob going "It's a J? It's a J? It's a J!" Yes Bob, it's a J...
  15. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Ever noticed in the sketch when Ernie sings to Cookie Monster "If I Knew You Were Coming, I'd Have Baked A Cake" Cookie Monster puts out the candles with his hand without flinchign once?

Surely if kids tried that that would hurt them a lot.

Weird no?
  16. patrickballoonm

patrickballoonm New Member

I never saw the segment, but I used to have an old 45 record featuring "C is for Cookie" on one side and "If I Knew You Were Coming, I'd Have Baked a Cake" on the flip side, only it featured Cookie Monster singing the song, and Count von Count counting the number of times Cookie said certain words in the song.

Even weider if you ask me.
  17. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Here's a real noodle-scratcher:

In the sketch where the Count counts the number of times Mr. Snuffle-upagus jumps on Big Bird's trampoline, Snuffy landed on the roof.

But seeing how big and heavy a Snuffle-upagus can be, wouldn't the roof and all the other floors collapse?

Weird no?
  18. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

Here's a question for you

At the beginning of the Elmo's Potty Time DVD it is mentioned that versions of SS are seen in 120 countries, considering the size of the earth and the fact that the street must go under various bodies of water to do this and go through all its name changes in the various countries; how long is Sesame Street?
  19. HappygirlMagill

HappygirlMagill New Member

I'm so glad somebody remembers this episode! It was one of my favorites. I used to have it on videotape and watch it with my daughter.
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I know I've most likely seen it and just don't remember it, but it sounds so awesome, though!:D