Questions about anything

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I thought geeks were like... People obsessed with technology...
How are they geeks?
Well, yeah, but now it's just used as an insult. There are pretty much two groups in my high school: the "cool kids" and the "geeks, nerds, etc" I do have to say though that my school is pretty accepting.
Rush used to use a lot of synthesizers, weird time signatures, and wrote songs about strange things. 2112 was about a revolution against the tyrannical priests in the year 2112. People don't always like concept songs like that.

Bridget

Reaction score
Going back a little on the discussion of music, here's another thing too:

There are a ton of aspiring young singers out there who would sell their souls for a chance to have a career like some have, and yet, they'll never be given a chance... on the other hand, the music industry, like show business in general, is built upon connections: you really can't get into the business, unless you already know somebody who is. Then, you have cases where somebody who is already in the business will take a liking to somebody, and with a touch of Midas, turn them into a new superstar: Justin Bieber used to be a regular kid who posted his songs on YT like so many others, Usher happened upon them, signed him onto his label, then next thing you know he LITERALLY became an overnight star, and has become pretty much the Elvis of our generation... then years later, the same with Carlye Rae Jepsen: she was a relatively obscure singer up in Canada for a number of years, but all it took was for her to be discovered by Bieber, and next thing you know, she too is literally an overnight sensation.

That's the way it works sometimes.
I definitely agree. (And not to be a hater, I really don't think Carlye has any real voice)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Well, yeah, but now it's just used as an insult. There are pretty much two groups in my high school: the "cool kids" and the "geeks, nerds, etc" I do have to say though that my school is pretty accepting.
Rush used to use a lot of synthesizers, weird time signatures, and wrote songs about strange things. 2112 was about a revolution against the tyrannical priests in the year 2112. People don't always like concept songs like that.
Back in 1982, my freshman year in high school, everybody else was getting into the then-brand-spanking-new MTV, while myself and a few select others were still digging The Beatles, Dylan, Jefferson Airplane, Doors, etc., and WE were the geeks!
The other 99% of my high school thought The Human League
("Don't You Want Me" ad nauseum) was going to be the band that would reinvent the wheel and the Beatles will fade into obscurity.

I'm happy it didn't exactly work out that way. As long as there are curious people who want to discover good music that has stood the test of time, groups like the Beatles will always be "in". For geeks and non-geeks alike.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never really liked Rush. I don't like the singer's voice.

It sucks when a singer just ruins the band for you. I actually like the music itself of death metal, but I cannot stand the screamy way of singing, and just can't listen to it because of that

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
And that's understandable. He's not the greatest singer in the world. My only defense is that he does sing while playing bass and keyboards. :stick_out_tongue: I just don't like it when people tell me how he sounds like a woman, and oh, "did he ever hit puberty?" comments... :rolleyes:

Now, do you listen to Megadeth or Metallica?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Megadeth, no...don't like the singer's voice
Metallica, some. I happen to really like Fuel :stick_out_tongue:

And I do like Rob Zombie to an extent. Love the song Superbeast

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*Ugly trolls ascend to the earth*

Oh no! We're being attacked by Rob Zombie's deviantART page!

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Megadeth, no...don't like the singer's voice
Metallica, some. I happen to really like Fuel :stick_out_tongue:

And I do like Rob Zombie to an extent. Love the song Superbeast
Oh haha Yeah they are big fans of Rush, thats why I was asking. I wanted to trick you... in a way... I guess... :wink:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score

It sucks when a singer just ruins the band for you. I actually like the music itself of death metal, but I cannot stand the screamy way of singing, and just can't listen to it because of that
Some of my favorite bands from the 60's- Yardbirds, The Nice, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and especially Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention-all had weak singers. But some of these bands' best works were instrumentals, so that balances the scales a little.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Me? I'm a Country fan and mot many people liked that when I was in school because that wasn't the 'cool' thing. The reason that I like it is because they can be about ANYTHING! If you want a sad, breakup song? You got it, you want a happy, kiss off song? You got it, if you want a song about being from a small town? A song about where you're from? About love? Heck, even tongue in cheek humorous songs? You got it.
Nothing against the older Rock songs, a lot of the older songs are just fantastic because they have great songwriting. Some old Beatles, Elvis, Queen, etc. are some of the better written songs you can ever imagine and I shook my head and wanted to smack some people when I saw on Twitter the trend of 'Who is Paul McCartney?' Just shut up and listen to real music instead of the garbage that the industry just pours down your throat.

Daniel