Questions about anything

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think Rush gets a bad rap for the subject matter of some of their songs, like "2112" and a lot of their earlier, more fantasy-oriented material, even when those kinds of lyrics make up a small part of their discography.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Am I misunderstanding what is meant by geek? Because I'm not using it as an insult...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I always thought that "geek band" was an insult for groups like Rush or Yes or Genesis, bands that did longer songs with different parts and sometimes used obscure lyrical concepts, or relied more on the technical side of things. Basically progressive rock groups.

Just to clarify, I like those kinds of bands, Yes is one of my all time favorite groups. I don't want anyone to think I'm insulting that genre of music, I'm just stating what I think the perception is.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've always called Weezer a geek band because they look like a bunch of computer geeks, not really trying to insult them...

Teheheman

Reaction score
I've always called Weezer a geek band because they look like a bunch of computer geeks, not really trying to insult them...
Man, in that respect than the band that the Tri-Lambs put together to beat those jocks in the Olympics were a 'geek band'

Daniel

Teheheman

Reaction score
I have honestly never heard it used as an insult...

*shrugs*
Didn't think it would be used that way but ok.
On to the question at hand. The reason that music is better THEN than NOW is the fact that there is WAY more computer technology than there was back in the day. Technology is making people do things like auto-tune, and putting crazy riffs and stuff like that. Personally, I think music is better in it's purist form. Acoustically, music is WAY better than if you add all that other stuff. Just a guy or gal and their guitar sitting there and singing their hearts out via a song. Nothing better.
Also, everybody wants to try something different to stand out, the problem being that everything's been tried before so there's not much room left to try new things. Besides, once something new IS tried and it becomes a success, then everybody wants to duplicate it to the point that the one thing that WAS new and awesome and cutting edge is worn out and tired, and people are looking for what the new thing is and that's where the vicious cycle happens.

Daniel

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
How is Rush a geek band?

Weezer is what I would call a geek band
Oh, I also agree that Weezer is a geek band. What I was saying is that Rush fans are constantly being nagged for being geeks, because of their earlier stuff, like Charlie said. Also the fact that Geddy Lee can sing in a higher pitch than others gets poked fun of a ton. If you look at "Subdivisions", all it talks about is the pressure of high school and trying to fit in with peers. Rush has always been considered the "weird" band, and the people who know them today still consider them to "suck". :sigh:

Misskermie

Reaction score
I thought geeks were like... People obsessed with technology...
How are they geeks?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Going back a little on the discussion of music, here's another thing too:

There are a ton of aspiring young singers out there who would sell their souls for a chance to have a career like some have, and yet, they'll never be given a chance... on the other hand, the music industry, like show business in general, is built upon connections: you really can't get into the business, unless you already know somebody who is. Then, you have cases where somebody who is already in the business will take a liking to somebody, and with a touch of Midas, turn them into a new superstar: Justin Bieber used to be a regular kid who posted his songs on YT like so many others, Usher happened upon them, signed him onto his label, then next thing you know he LITERALLY became an overnight star, and has become pretty much the Elvis of our generation... then years later, the same with Carlye Rae Jepsen: she was a relatively obscure singer up in Canada for a number of years, but all it took was for her to be discovered by Bieber, and next thing you know, she too is literally an overnight sensation.

That's the way it works sometimes.