Now what's going on with YouTube?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with tumblr is that there are rules but they are not enforced and the community is garbage and as a tumblr user I would not recommend getting heavily involved in any fandoms unless you want 24/7 death threats. Because on tumblr DURR HURR DEATH THREATS ARE JUSTIFIED BECAUSE YOU DONT SHARE MY OPINION
Part of the reason I don't want to bother with that. It's killing my favorites and views, and I only get favorites by Robotnik crap I did back when the Memes were a thing that I desperately want to delete now. And I'm sure some kids are swiping my stuff to put on tumblr without at least linking to my site, and even if they did, they get a crapload more reposts than I get views or favorites.

Aside from that... here's something that'll really tick you off.

In the penultimate episode of the season of Family Guy, stolen Youtube footage of Double Dribble and Techmo Bowl were used as not too funny extended gags. Now, I'm sure they had to pay some clearance to the video game companies, but since these are anonymously posted, 7 year old game play clips there's no ownership on the part of the uploaders. So technically Family Guy stole old clips off the internet. But that's not what makes this disgusting. As they appeared on the show, The originals were subject of DMCA takedowns. Now, I know the cool thing is to steal web videos and not give any credit or money due and everything from game shows to commercials are guilty of this practice (hilariously, one is a lawyer finding firm), but to then claim the videos in the show as content and take them down is beyond despicable. Even if it's because of content ID crap, it was never really theirs to begin with.

Yep. Someone can steal your video and then punish you for them having it in their show without your permission.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As they appeared on the show, The originals were subject of DMCA takedowns. Now, I know the cool thing is to steal web videos and not give any credit or money due and everything from game shows to commercials are guilty of this practice (hilariously, one is a lawyer finding firm), but to then claim the videos in the show as content and take them down is beyond despicable.
Well, it's kind of like how last year when T Mobile (or Verizon . . . or Sprint . . . or whoever it was) used Rick Astley in their commercials, suddenly Rickroll videos all over YouTube (including mine) were being blocked in the U.S. and its surrounding territories because of it. Even before that, those Camp Echo Rock SST episodes that Oscarfan uploaded were taken down for a while by NBC because Giancarlo Esposito had appeared on a talk show that used clips from those episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not quite. While the uploaders didn't own the video games, they did perform the playthroughs and their playthroughs were stolen years after the effect. The other cases were more of the variety of uploading videos of copyrighted material that were blocked by those who paid to use the same clip for a Television show. Though in the case of blocking Rick Rolls, that's a pretty stupid thing to do considering that made his music relevant again.

The videos were supposedly restored, Seth made it abundantly clear this was not on his fault since he's working on something else, and this was a case of the copyright bots flagging the content. So basically Fox and Youtube are both at fault here. And while video game uploads are more of a gray area (they are technically copyrighted material), it does paint a dangerous notion of stealing original works on youtube and claiming it their own by the very same companies who freak the beak out when someone puts a 30 second clip of something they own. If I had a wacky video of a cat (and I don't really have much access to a camera or a cat, just bare with me), and some dumb show on Fox thatstealing steals videos for people too dumb and or old to bother looking on the internet for it would then go and take down my video or even my channel for a video I created because it technically didn't have its own copyright until they aired it. That's not a good thing here.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So get this: now not only has Dailymotion completely bypassed any and all adblockers, but now they've made it so that you can't skip the ads at all: if you try to navigate away from the video page, it literally freezes your browser until the ad is over, forcing you to watch regardless if you try to go navigate to a different page or close out of the page.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh. I'm getting that stinkin' GCOD again. :rolleyes:

That, and once again, I'm getting subscription updates . . . from nine years ago.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even in Compatibility View and using the old player, YT is somehow removing playback features from that as well: all new videos I've uploaded that are in full HD only have 360p and 720p as playback selections with the old player in Compatibility View. I don't know how YT is doing this, but is going way too far - I'd go to say they're going so far as to infringe on the rights of people who don't want to switch browsers, because I'm happy to see throughout their support forums that there are a few others out there who would rather not switch browsers, but this is what it's coming to: YT/Google stooping to the most passive aggressive measures it can to get people to switch browsers (and preferably their Chrome browser . . . which is nice to see is actually losing some popularity lately).