1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Now what's going on with YouTube?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Figures they'd wait until I return to YouTube (STILL under protest) to frog up the site again...

I see this time, they've done away with the standard star ratings system, and now we're stuck with giving a video either a thumbs up if we like it, or a thumbs down if we don't.

That seems rather stupid to me, but then again, EVERYTHING they do seems stupid anymore... the new video pages are unorganized, cluttered, and it's almost impossible to read all of the comments because of these weird white boxed blocking them for some reason.
  2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I agree! It's so confusing not having the video description to the side of the video, and also making it really difficult to see videos by the same user...instead just seeing videos that are related to the keywords used or something equally confusing.

Impressed I am not.
  3. dmoss

dmoss Member

I thought for sure it was an April Fool's Joke when I saw it on Wednesday Night, but to my horror, it wasn't. :( Hopefully there will be enough of an outcry, that they'll return to the way they used to do it...
  4. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Ugh...I can't take it any more! I was alright when there were a few minor changes through the years, but now I don't even recognize the site. :mad:
  5. D'Snowth

Somehow, I kinda knew it wasn't going to be an April Fools joke... I've seen them trying to slip this in on us for about a week, but it looks to be permanent now.
    Oh yeah, that worked like a charm in getting them to NOT force us all to use their new Beta Channels last year. :rolleyes:
  6. dmoss

dmoss Member

There was a huge deal (I remember the propaganda video) about how Youtube was changing over to some kind of corporate site, only trying to promote themselves and their sponsors, rather the regular people...seems like sponsor videos still get higher billing than home-made stuff.
  7. D'Snowth

It's KINDA true... YouTube was bought by Google a few years ago, so they kind of have been a bit of a corporate site, which is probably the main reason why they don't even listen to the YOU in YouTube anymore.
  8. 6ftInchworm

6ftInchworm New Member

Hang on to your hats folks, here we go again!
  9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It was hard to navigate at first, and sometimes it is hard to see the comments. But one good thing about the change: Before, users couldn't rate their own videos, but now youtubers can "like" or "dislike" their own (well, I haven't tried disliking any of my own so I could be wrong...)!
  10. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I've never been a member of Youtube so my only experience has been watching as a guest.

I must agree about the comments though. It's hard to follow them properly.:confused:

One thing that makes me laugh though. There is an option that allows you to watch the video in text only mode. I thought that meant the words of the dialogue of the video would appear on the screen with only the soundtrack to follow it by without the picture. They reckon by using text mode you'll save youtube some money in bandwidth costs.

I don't know if any of you have tried it but when you see what text only mode really does I'm sure you'll agree with me that nobody would surely want to use the option.:rolleyes:
  11. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Haha. The text-only option was a April Fools joke for sure, but I really wanted to see that rolled out onto all videos as an option rather than just a few!
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They're trying to get the whole thing to look like Facebook, which wants to look more like MySpace, which wants to look more like Facebook. It's basic insanity and trying to be hip... and it ruins the aesthetic of the whole thing. The pages look Frog awful ugly, you don't get to see the little avatars next to the video poster's name. And it really looks that they took a huge step backward, making everything look like an old site from the 90's.

And we'll be howling at the moon, since no matter how much we complain, they'll only change things to make them look worse.
  13. D'Snowth

Are you serious about Facebook trying to look more like MySpace? Granted, I haven't logged on to my Facebook since the week I tried it for last year and didn't like it, so I don't know what they're looking like now... but yes, MySpace has been trying to Facebook-ify themselves for months now, but I'm glad it's just our homepages they're messing with and not our actual profiles. Unlike YouTube.
    Amen, brotha.
  14. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Snowthy, this YouTube thing is only the beginning.

Dum, Dum, DUM!
  15. D'Snowth

I don't know about that... I'd say more like... THE MIDDLE... O.O :eek: :eek: :eek:

Either the Google buy-out, or last year's Beta Channels was the beginning I think...
  16. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I made a video concerning the youtube change, in which I play a character I've played in many other videos, The Crybaby. The Crybaby always complains about something, but this is the first time I had him complain about an actual current event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khP_axxt3MI
  17. D'Snowth

I got on YouTube this morning, and was very happy to see they switched back to the old video pages... but knowing them, I doubt this'll last for very long. :|
  18. D'Snowth

Gee... how did I know that? How DID I know that? ! :rolleyes:
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Probably lasted less than I second, since I didn't see it at ALL.

Why does EVERYONE want to look like Facebook? I swear. If I wanted to go on Facebook, I'd GO on Facebook. When I wanna go to a video sight, I wanna see VIDEOS.
  20. D'Snowth

I know Drtooth, it's BAD! MySpace has done such a job Facebookifying themselves recently (thank God they're leaving our PROFILES alone... take a hint, YouTube), that the site has now slowed to a snail's pace... just like Facebook! That was one of the reasons I liked MySpace better than Facebook because the site in general loaded faster (save for pimped out profiles with hundreds of graphics everywhere that take forever to load)... now, they're both just as slow as molases, it's tough to get anything done.