1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

New Video: "Stand By Me"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Oscarfan, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

EEW! That's disgusting!

*Dunks grilled cheese into chocolate sauce and takes a bite*

The thought of all those poor bunnies festering away inside the digestive tracts of filthy cats makes me sick to my stomach!
  2. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

It's funny everyone keeps complaining about the pleading bunny, causeI thought that was one of the funniest parts. Sounded like Dave Goelz. The sketch reminded me of "I've Got You Under My Skin." Classic!
  3. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I think it is so funny how people say, and have said for years that they wish they would bring back the old Muppet Show magic back. Then when they do bring it back, everyone thinks God lord that video was to violiont or dark. they need to watch the Alice Cooper or Vencent Price shows. Then come back and talk to me about this video.
  4. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

Well as far as I can tell this is the first time any character has pleaded not to be eaten by a monster in a muppet sketch Dwayne. So perhaps it does make it slightly more intense.

But on the whole I can see your point. It's still basically the same sort of dark things Henson sometimes used to do himself in the classic days of the muppets.

It certainly could have fitted in as a Muppet Show sketch during either the Vincent Price or the Alice Cooper episode. Statler and Waldorf could have said the very same things afterwards up in their theater box. :D
  5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

There were the Screaming No-Nos from The Jim Henson Hour. But, of course, those were humans pleading for their lives. Not Muppets.

Shakey Sanchez seemed pretty desperate not to be eaten during the "I've Got You Under My Skin" number. And Beaker protested all the time, even begged Bunsen not to perform his stunts.

I thought the bunny begging was pretty subtle, personally. That's what made it funny, I think. He wasn't going, "OH, dear god, don't eat me! I have a wife and eight kids! PLEEEEASE! Oh, PLEAASE! Don't eat me! GAAAAAAH!"
  6. I just watched it for like the fiftieth time, and I think what is leaving some unsettled is that Carl doesn't get any come uppance in the end, as many monsters (Doglion in the beautiful day sketch or Hugga Wugga for instance) used to on TMS. With the bunnies still alive and singing in the end, it gets us like 95% there - which is still satisfying - but something felt unfinished.

Like the last bunny picks up the giant carrot while he's distracted by the singing and whacks him over the head. Or the rabbits, still in his stomach, start walking away and drag Carl offscreen BY his stomach. Or a larger rabbit eats Carl or hits him on the head before he has a chance to eat his little buddy.

And if it was TMS, applause - smaller bunny looks out at the audience and smiles, bows excitedly - maybe the other bunnies hop out of Carl's mouth. End.

All in all, I still love it. I think this video is something that Jim would have been proud of. Felt like Ed Sullivan material.
  7. Mupp

Mupp Member

Yes, I realized that some time after I posted. I had forgotten what day we were on when I posted that.

I was hoping to point out my own mistake, but I was too late.
    I apologize for my silly mistake. :o
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I think another problem is that Big Mean Carl has no redeeming qualities. I mean, he eats stuff...but does he ever feel guilty about it? Or does he ever get punished for it? Or does he even try NOT to eat stuff, but just can't help it and does it anyway? I wonder if people just can't identify with him in this.

I do wish that the tiny final bunny HAD hit Carl with the carrot! That would have been awesome.
  9. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

My opinion on the video, I love it! Classic TMS. Only thing I didn't like was the pause of the bunnies singing. Carl could have kept eating and eating like to the beat of the song.

And I too think Statler & Waldorf cut it short. Like as you guys said, like there could've been a bigger, Thog-sized bunny eating Carl the Big Mean Easter Bunny!

All and all I loved it.:zany:
  10. Mupp

Mupp Member

Monsters who ate other Muppets on the Muppet Show didn't always get a comeuppance.

Also, it seems like it was a very deliberate choice on the part of The Muppets Studio to show that the bunnies were still alive inside of Carl.
    It obviously would have been too much and unmuppet-like if the bunnies had actually died.

In the past, Big Mean Carl has never been punished for his eating or mistreatment of Muppets.

Also, Carl did eat Rizzo and two other rats during the Bohemian Rhapsody video. (But they clearly got out since we see them at the end)

Apparently, it takes muppet monsters a VERY long time to digest their stomach contents. ;)
  11. Shine

Shine New Member

the problem?

My buddy and I watched it and decided the only thing that's missing is the back stage scene which would have showed them all leaving the stage and a bunny saying "Hey Carl, knock off the tacos next time ok?"

Bring back the whole old school show!
  12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would have added another great dimension. Kinda how after all the disastrous opening numbers, the characters hobbled past Kermit making bad puns.

By the way, I love your username, it seems so enthusiastic and optimistic!
  13. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I wish they'd make more songs that were worth downloading... I was hoping "Dust In The Wind" and "Stand By Me" would be but it's just Beaker "meeping" and Carl and the bunnies singing half of "Stand By Me". I wanna see videos that don't have Muppet monsters, Beaker, Gonzo, Animal, or Chef. However...

I was hoping Stand By Me would be the Electric Mayhem doing instrumental while Kermit sang "Stand By Me" with Fozzie and Gonzo with him at the swamp, but the whole thing would be Kermit getting along easily at the swamp while Fozzie and Gonzo kept stumbling around, trying to sit on a lily pad or fall into the water.

Also, for "Dust In The Wind" I thought that woulda been a great song for Pepe to do... have him fawning over some female shrimp while Rowlf played the piano in the background

I should totally be in charge of these videos... I'd do my best to make them all as cool as "Bohemian"
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Some interesting ideas, but why does everything have to be like Bohemian Rhapsody? I think that's the mistake most companies make. "Hey, that was good. How can we make a million more films just like it?" Bohemian should stand on its own, as should Stand By Me. There's a lot more time to do a ton more awesome videos. It's nice to see the Muppets and Muppet performers having fun with stuff like this.

I loved it. Maybe it could have been a little longer, but for the sake of comedy, I don't know how much longer it could have gone on and still maintain a good pace.
  15. Mupp

Mupp Member

Again, I enjoyed this video. I thought that it was pretty funny, and it was very reminiscent of some of the old Muppet Show material.

The thing that really bugs me are all of the youtube comments from people who claim to be Muppet fans and say that they are disappointed by this because its not child-friendly and Jim Henson would not approve and such.

This is obviously ignorance to the highest degree.

WHY does no one remember that on the Muppet Show, there were acts with Monsters eating Muppets and physical slapstick all the time?
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly. I See no difference between this and the old Inchworm sketch... Muppets eat other Muppets, often with no comeuppance... even Cookie Monster tried to eat Guy Smiley.

That's what bugs me. Too many people say "Oh... the Muppets? That's Sesame Street! I can show it to my 1 year old." and freak out when something G rated violent happens. They'd totally flip if they tried to watch Stuffed and Unstrung.
  17. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I agree. To make matters worse, similar comments have been posted about this video on the Muppet Studios' Facebook page. :rolleyes:
  18. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I also think another reason why some people may be disturbed by this new video is the fact that Carl eats a bunch of cute, innocent little bunny rabbits.

This brings to mind a couple of posts by Dave Ebersole, where he explained his hatred of Carl, stating things like that he makes a habit of eating cute, innocent little animals, which most monsters never do and he also said that Carl eats other characters with little or no provocation and sometimes even if they just disagree with him.

Anyway, while I can agree that a different ending might've been in order, "Stand by Me" is great for what it is.
  19. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

My thoughts too. Absolutely reminded me of "I've Got You Under My Skin". Seems like a perfect opening # for a new TMS, more so than the other web videos. Easy to imagine the curtain opening on the scene before Carl hops out, a regular S & W comment afterward (maybe the same one, just in the theater box), and Carl waddling backstage afterward past a wary Kermit.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  20. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

I can see it now, a new Muppet Show, feat. Big Mean Carl. Nice idea, Gorgon.:)