1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

New Video: "Stand By Me"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Oscarfan, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

And on that note: Muppets Eating Other Muppets
  2. SeanC

SeanC Member

That's fantastic!
    It's the loud 'thump' as he hits the rabbits that does it :)
    I've watched it about 7 times so far. Love it!
  3. HootsytheOwl

HootsytheOwl Member

New Video

I got to see this new video today, and I absolutely loved it. My favorite part was when the bunnies started singing and Carl was like " Hey! shut up in there!" LOL:)
    And I really didn't think the video was creepy either.

Your dear friend,
    Kitt
  4. Mupp

Mupp Member

Yeah.
    People need to realize that there is a difference;

The Sesame Street characters are good for children because they teach and entertain.

The Muppet Show characters are good for everyone because they entertain.

When I first saw that screen shot of the Stand By Me video from the D23 Expo, I have a strong feeling that Carl was going to beat those bunnies and/or eat them. Why? Because that is classic Muppet Show humor and I would expect it from them.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

As much as Carl is one of my favorite newer Muppets, I just didnt like this at all. Probably the first youtube official Muppet video I didn't care for. Just didn't like the mean tone of it.
  6. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I can not stop watching this new Muppet Classic!

I've always loved Big Mean Carl. I also love Steve Whitmire's singing as one of the bunnies.
  7. Mupp

Mupp Member

Well, Carl is big and mean! ;) :eek:
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

The clue's right there in his name!
  9. The80sMuppets

The80sMuppets New Member

giggles gotta love the video's tho.. smiles.. thanks for sharing
  10. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

Going to manually multi-quote this:

Wow, you've got a good memory, Duke! As you can see, Carl has grown on me. My distaste for Carl started before I had seen the Sherlock Holmes sketch from the Joel Grey episode of TMS, wherein Gorgon Heap eats not only Miss Piggy (disproving my theory that monsters never eat women, save for Piggy - again - in the Carol Burnett episode) but Baskerville the Hound.

I DO think it works better for the humor purposes when the 'victim' in a sketch is humorous in some way rather than just cute. I think it's easier to accept it happening to an unpleasant character rather than an innocent, a man than a woman, a human than an animal, etc.

Also, Carl makes a production out of eating characters, which was done less on TMS (save Sherlock Holmes and "Under My Skin"). Usually, it was just random, rather than planned. Hard to imagine Kermit planning acts which would deliberately send characters to their doom, isn't it? I think that's why Swift Wits never quite worked completely for me, though they found interesting ways of playing the situations out.

See below:
    The early monsters were pure embodiments of appetite, sometimes just indiscriminate eating machines (tho sometimes they stopped short of eating someone, like Rowlf in the Sherlock Holmes sketch, Wanda in "Some Enchanted Evening" or Link & Strangepork in the dance marathon episode of PIS). They came, they saw, they ate. And they left, no bows, no thank-yous. I think that's what doesn't work about Carl: eating humor was a simple gag, nothing that a character could really be built around, and attempts to build a character around such a simple gag leads to the above questions asked by Beauregard, if one gets that far. For most, a quiet feeling of "there's something about it I don't like" takes the place of said questions.

I think this is a part that really works. It's subtle Muppet reaction. Nobody necessarily TOLD Dave to do that. In all likelihood, the lines weren't scripted, but Dave being the pro that he is, he did it because it was right in the scene. That's something we've lost in some of the lesser productions of late, and the thought of having it back excites me greatly. Or, to put it another way, watching this video put me in the mood to write Muppet stuff.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I love when he "eats" other characters. But bludgeoning them...just seems a bit brutal. (In the Sex and violence pilot, there's a skit where a Muppet creature appears to beat the other one to death)

But yeah, I couldnt be more pleased if they came out with Carl figures, figurines, plushes, etc. Im hoping Disney makes Carl into one of the main new characters soon
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

There's a number of "bad guy" Muppets. Crazy Harry, Uncle Deadly, a number of the monsters, etc...
  13. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

The plushes should come with Muppet Whatnots and critters to eat. :D
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Actually, when you said that it reminded me of another, similar character that Dave Goelz played. When Kermit is interviewing Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphone in the Raquel Welch episode, he asks the Muppaphones if it hurts. One of the Muppaphones, as played by Dave, very nervously asks, "Is Marvin still here?" "Right here!" The Muppaphone gulps. "Uh... no."

I do dislike it that they try to make a full blown character out of Carl, but as one of the other Muppet monsters who pops up and just eats, I like him a lot. The skit would have worked really well on The Muppet Show.
  15. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I think it could even have been used for a Muppets Tonight episode. Statler and Waldorf could easily have made their exchange of lines at the end in front of the television at the retirement home.:D
  16. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Not to mention Taminella Grinderfall, the 4 "Musicians of Bremen" robbers, the "Muppet Treasure Island" pirates...
  17. Magellan

Magellan Member

I would be ecstatic. For some reason even the idea seemed so far out of the realm of possibility that my mind could not come up with that wish on my on. Over all though, I enjoyed the video, it was nicely muppet show reminiscent but I really don't think it can hold a candle to the Bohemian Rhapsody.
  18. Mupp

Mupp Member

Most things can't. :)

Bohemian Rhapsody was epic.
  19. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Beaker attempted to hold a candle to it...

Is he died?