1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

New Muppets Christmas Special

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by tide, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yeah... After all, Santa Claus, in as many encarnations/actors portraying the role throughout the years does exist within Muppet cannon in a great many variety of Muppet Christmas specials. Heck, just listen to them all during the MC Radio Christmas music bonanza in December each year.

Completely agree with Ru's statements above.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't believe Santa is the problem at all. I think some of the fans find it juvenile on the part of the Muppets to write letters to Santa. I think that's the complaint people are talking about. That and a speculation based "Muppets Save Christmas" plot.
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's exactly the opposite...if I may say so...We try so HARD to believe in something that the last thing we need is someone to come up behind us with a shovel and say, "Whack! By the way, the Muppets are puppets and a script is written by executives."

Which was actually exactly how I felt when I read the idea of Muppets taking letters to Santa.

We try so hard to believe that the Muppets exist, that to throw in something we know is make-believe into the mix just throws us off course into a tree (which is why the Muppets wouldn't really work if they used magic or had characters that were fairies like SS). Suddenly we have to reevaluate everyhting we knew about the Muppets to fit Santa into the equasion.

Similarly, we spend all our mental energy trying to believe that Santa exists and the last thing we need is for him to live in a world also populated by Puppets.

It reminds me of when Winnie the Pooh did a similar storyline...suddenly I couldn't believe in Santa or Winnie the Pooh because the two couldn't exist in the same imaginary world for me.

A subtle reference, fine. A shilluette of Santa's sleigh appearing in Bob the Builder...LOVE it. "Oh, Santa IS real!" Especially when it was seen by the character with an imagination, and not seen by the others because they weren't looking.

But for the real Santa to arrive at Bob's Building yard to leave presents for the living machinery...suddenly the beleif in the living machines would be lost.

Am I making sense?

Beau
  4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Maybe... But I think it'd be better if you made dollars instead.
  5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

It'd have to be very tongue-in-cheek to even work.

When you think about it, there have been times when the Muppets come right out and tell you that they are puppets. It's like them saying "we know we're not real, but we're going to entertain you anyway." To have them suddenly believe in something else that isn't real kind of goes against this... especially since the Muppets are all in their twenties and thirties and fifties and so on. It breaks the illusion to me that they would be writing letters to Santa.

Maybe Robin's the one writing to Santa, no one else really believes in him, but there's just the one little moment at the end where Robin "sees" Santa's sleigh riding off, sorta like what Beau mentioned. That could work for the Muppets.

Weird idea, though.
  6. Beauregard

Maybe it's Beauregard who beleives in Santa...

Yeah, like that would happen :p
  7. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yea now is the right time really for all the Christmas stuff to be shot. It may well be sorted, but if they don't act soon it will be getting a bit late.
  8. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well, I hope it's good than.

Well, you gotta admit that sense day one that Sesame Street has had no problem attracting Celebrities. Who does it better them them besides The Muppets?
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Considering how loud and crass it was, it's no surprise.

Now, are these network ratings, or are some of them cable channels? Sometimes it does make a difference.
  11. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Umm..well it worked with Fraggle Rock just fine, and they lived in the same 'world' as the muppets. Also, because the SS characters have met the muppets just like the fraggles have it would be true that their world has fairies as well..and really, why not? Big Bird nearly met Santa in their own Christmas movie to remember...
    Anyway, I like the idea of a new Christmas movie and don't mind the idea of Santa in it :). Maybe it should be Robin writing a letter and have a running plot about everyone trying to mail the letter and things always going wrong...
  12. Beauregard

Ahh...Now that's where things get more shifty...Fraggles can have magic, because they live within another part of the Muppa-verse seperated by Fraggle holes...Sesame Streets bends the laws of physics everyday.

The Muppets...They are more real. Not counting the Lab...or the eatings...or the explosions...
  13. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I kinda agree, Muppet Show guys are a little more rooted in reality (not by much but... ;)). Though of course "canon" is a word to be used loosely in Muppet land!
  14. WeatherbySwann

WeatherbySwann New Member

I hadn't seen this latest bit of news posted yet, but according to Muppet News Flash, the Christmas special is now scheduled to air during the 2009 holiday season.
  15. Davina

Davina Member

yay! something to (hopefully) watch when hubby gets back from deployment! (Ok, may have to tape it to watch with him, cuz who knows when it will actually air, or when he'd actually be getting home.. but.... we live in alaska.. we can pretend it's Christmas most of the winter.... and pretty much will be whenever he gets back....)
    I'm just happy to see more specials and stuff planned and being worked on.. sure what little bits we've been told may sound a little cheesy, but the muppets are good at cheesy :)
    I for one would love to see more classic novels adapted, but that's the English major/Librarian in me.. I loved what they did with MTI and MCC.. would love to see them do more classic literature adaptations and other such "educational" stuff (course, I'd also love to get more episodes of classic SS available for the kids and grandkids - oldest step daughter went and made us grandparents already! ok, so she's 21.. i'm only 34 and it was totally unfair....heh.. but i've at least got her convinced to let muppets rule the nursary.. heh)
    wait and see... at worst.. it's a project and better then the nothing we've been getting for so very very long....
  16. mattfoo03

mattfoo03 New Member

Muppets: Letters to Santa

Just joined this forum to share some info. I was looking for info online about the Muppet special "Letters to Santa" and I found my way here. I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn. A bunch of flyers just went up around the neighborhood about the filming of "Letters to Santa" this Wednesday, Sept. 10, from 2pm to 4am. A number of streets in the neighborhood are going to be closed to parking to accommodate a film crew shooting some nighttime scenes. The flyers describe the plot: the muppets plan to escape the NYC snow, but must cancel their Christmas vacation to help children's letters reach Santa.
  17. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

WOW! How cool. Some pictures would be really appreciated.
  18. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It good to see the muppets as a part of Christmas again. :).. But what is Christmas without snow? I live in Cali, we would kill for more than a half inch of snow that melts before noon :(!
  19. Beauregard

...Well, that sounds interesting.

LOVE the idea of them trying to get out of NYC for Christmas!

Slightly confused by the whole children's letters thing, but, hey, that's what the Muppets are for! Maybe they're taking them for a Children's Home or something?
  20. armslength

armslength New Member

According to the latest press release, its' about the Muppets accidentally averting three kids' letters to Santa and rushing to make sure they get to Santa so the kids' Christmas doesn't get ruined...that certainly sounds more appealing to me than the Muppets' own letters to Santa.

...and Kermit at least probably hasn't been all that enamoured of snow every since the Harvey Kneeslapper incident! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.