New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I was just really interested in knowing.... its going to be so much better on screen and with songs ,but Bobin and Stroller did an amazing job with the script and there are lots of suprises in store!!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
i can't believe this is all happening so fast! although, i guess it doesn't take as long as effects driven films

still, i'm not so sure about a comedy caper, just because they've already done it. wouldn't it be directly compared to GMC? i don't want people to think they're just redoing their own history...although maybe that's a conscious part of the joke too? that could be funny i guess

disney must really be happy with this last one though, given what they're demanding
Well technically The Muppets 2011 was similar to TMM , and MMW while doesn't have much to do with GMC is similar in a sense. Next up "The Muppets in Vancouver" for a summer 2017 release :smile:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Unless they can get Brian back to do the movie, Sal would either be completely absent or recast. Somehow, I think Tyler Bunch could work as Sal.

I hope there's more of a balance between new and old characters, at least more Pepe and Rizzo to round it out. There were just TOO many Muppets they focused on the last time.
The balance was not that much, because there were too many muppets it's that Walter, Gary, and Mary steal a good chunk of screen time, and so does Tex Richman leaving very little. They also deleted a whole bunch leaving muppet screen time off balance. So they tried to give ats much screen time as they could to :smile:,:embarrassed:, :mad: , and :concern:, but it got a little crowded. Every 2 seconds was trying to give a line to another muppet. This time around they fixed that mistake after reading the novel.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Why aren't they using "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" script?
Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl have passed away and Frank Oz doesn't seem interested, so I doubt Disney wants to tamper with it, besides that the plot is a little bland, because it's basically so cheap at many pointa that they use storyboards, though I hope someday it's released as a short film or a 30 min. TV special.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I don't know. One of the (very few) issues I have with Disney's handling of the Muppets is the decision to kind of wipe out the Muppets' true origins with Henson, and just make it seem like they've always been "delightful Disney characters." No where in the credits of "The Muppets" do I remember seeing a "based on the characters created by..." credit. People unfamiliar with the Muppet story won't recognize things like Jerry Nelson's voice over or Jim Henson's picture.

Worse still, they refuse to allow the performers to be seen alongside their characters, in order to keep this silly illusion that the Muppets are real, and not just puppets performed by extremely talented people.

End rant.
For the record if Disney doesn't credit Jerry or Jane then, well, there are going to be like 4 billion complaint letters flying at them. Both people were pieces in muppet history, I expected them to credit jerry and jane in LGATMHS but that was before I saw that it was just an hour long commercial with 30 minutes of commercial jammed in between.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl have passed away and Frank Oz doesn't seem interested, so I doubt Disney wants to tamper with it, besides that the plot is a little bland, because it's basically so cheap at many pointa that they use storyboards, though I hope someday it's released as a short film or a 30 min. TV special.
Agreed.

Why use an unfinished high concept film that even Jim and Co didn't bother following up on instead of a stronger, more coherent idea?

We are never going to get Muppets Cheapest Movie. And if we did, I'm sure we wouldn't like the end result. It just doesn't carry for 90 minutes, and the jokes would run out by the 20 minute mark.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I don't know. One of the (very few) issues I have with Disney's handling of the Muppets is the decision to kind of wipe out the Muppets' true origins with Henson, and just make it seem like they've always been "delightful Disney characters." No where in the credits of "The Muppets" do I remember seeing a "based on the characters created by..." credit. People unfamiliar with the Muppet story won't recognize things like Jerry Nelson's voice over or Jim Henson's picture.

Worse still, they refuse to allow the performers to be seen alongside their characters, in order to keep this silly illusion that the Muppets are real, and not just puppets performed by extremely talented people.

End rant.
Sorry, but I completely disagree.

It's things like this that tend to annoy me enough at ToughPigs.

As for creating the notion of the Muppets being real, well...they ARE real.

I also think that part of why they're doing the whole "the Muppets are real" thing now more than ever is as a response to the whole "One Muppet, One Voice" histeria that occurred in 2005/2006.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sorry, but I completely disagree.

It's things like this that tend to annoy me enough at ToughPigs.

As for creating the notion of the Muppets being real, well...they ARE real.

I see what you mean, but I think there is a real good point made. It would be pretty lousy of them not to dedicate the film to Jerry and Jane (it's a little late for John... the film's due out next month). Now, I don't think they'd be that obtuse not to do that, and there would definitely be a revolt by the film team if that was the case. But I have to agree that I don't see why a cast commentary is out of the question on DVD's.

Now I'll give you this. What annoyed me was when they had the ABC/TV Guide Greatest Television thing, and they did the greatest non-human characters they didn't mention that Kermit and Piggy were puppets, giving that illusion that they're real actors (which I didn't have a problem with at all) but when they were talking about ALF, they couldn't stop bringing up that he was a puppet! I get they want to give them that illusion, but they don't respect any other major puppet character's illusion? :big_grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.