1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Barry Lee, Sep 4, 2006.

1. heralde Well-Known Member

I loved Muppet Babies, and I knew who Jim Henson and Frank Oz were at the time. I thought all the Muppet stuff was great, cartoon or puppet. Muppet Babies never discouraged me from liking the puppet Muppets. And it's not like it was Barney, it was a very clever show. ;)

Though that's cool about class projects on The Muppets, I wish I could have done that! The closet I ever came was trying imitate Kermit's "Yay!" during a class talent show, lol.
  2. Redsonga Active Member

I want to say that i love the Muppet Babies and i think in the end of it all it may really have intorduced a younger crowed to the classic muppets.

It helped me a lot :)! I think it really was aimed at our generation :excited: . But then I am a big fan of Fintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby Doo to ...I always loved the 'baby/little kid' version shows :flirt:

it was a very clever show.
    It really was, I never felt like I was being talked down to...
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

SS was never a 6-10 show. Maybe Electric Company or Square One (which definately was for older kids learning about Math), but never SS. I always felt it was a 4-7 demographic that inched its way down to 2-5. But that's neither here nor there.

I still feel that the SS characters will be the ones that get the most exposure. I mean, SS is still in prodcution, and you can't punt a football without seeing them one way or another. Be it a coloring book, plush toy, or DVD. Muppet stuff is getting harder and harder to spot. A few T-shirts here and there, maybe an orniment.

I think that the website is a stp in the right direction, actually. Anyone at any given time can check it out, so it's much less risky than a TV show. And I know they want to make a project at one point. AS I stated somewhere else, they were realing from OZ. It was the wrong project at a bad time, I think. Everything screamed rush job, right down to the casting. Plus, putting it opposite the Daytime Emmy's... not good at all. I really think the pilots to the mockumentary and the reality show should be leaked at one point, but other than that, they've been taking Baby steps to bring them back in a way that will make fans and casual viewers happy.

I mean, the DVD's have been a success so far. The first week TMS S1 came out, they were flying off the shelves, while OZ sat there 10+ copies at a time. Building off that is tricky. Someone there knows people would like a more classical approach to the characters.
  4. Redsonga Active Member

I guess we have different mindsets about it then :). Of course I was never around the labels that other kids gave shows, so I watched them for much longer (and in many cases still do).

But as far as the non-SS muppets go I think they really need another next generation Jim, someone who really cares about them, to really get people loving and remembering them. DVDs are a good start and all, but without a loving human face behind them in public it just doesn't have the same feel as years ago IMHO...
    This is coming from a mostly casual fan though:o ... The same goes with Disney itself to me though, since Walt's death it seems less and less about the human side and more about a big impersonal company :(. And I say this as a fan who was not even alive before his death :\
  5. unclematt Active Member

I would just like to say that I finally feel like the Muppets are turning a vital point in thier lives and I truly feel like they are back on the upswing. I have had a sort of awakening. A Jim Henson biopic, a new Muppet Movie, a new Website. All of this is good news. I am a true Muppet fan and I totally like what I am seeing. Granted it has taken a little biy to get used to the new performers but overtime. I have realised that each of them has brought new things to thier characters while trying to capture the specialness of their past Muppeteers. I am looking forward to the future Muppet works
  6. Beauregard Well-Known Member

I would like to agree with everything that Matt just said and to add my blessing onto all the projects that I see Disney has announced of semi-announced for the Muppets over the next few years...!
  7. Teheheman Well-Known Member

The best this for the Muppets right now is the Nostalgia factor that seems to be on the upswing right now. Think about it, things that are old are becoming cool again. Such as the Chipmunks, Smurfs, TMNT, Transformers, these things are all becoming hip again, and the Muppets are on the cusp of becoming cool again. Which is great.

Daniel
  8. Beauregard Well-Known Member

And on top of that, the new writer is touting GMC as his ideal Muppet movie! Amazing.
  9. heralde Well-Known Member

So we can guarantee the new movie will have tons of random yet elaborate human dance sequences? Hehe

Jk, love GMC!
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, I can't agree on the Nostalia angle for TMNT and Transformers. The newer generation makes both of them work at their fullest potential. That and Transformers never really went away. They've always been around, at least in toy form.

I think the Muppets, sadly have to work the nostalgic angle for a little bit longer. I see them as ever green characters in our pop culture, right up there with Bugs and Mickey.
  11. unclematt Active Member

First I would like to say that it is so important to me that Beau agreed with me. I respect you and your Muppet knowledge greatly. Secondly I would like to agree with Teheheman. They do have the nostalgia thing going for them I just dont want to see them completely rely on it, which I don't think they are doing right now.
  12. Teheheman Well-Known Member

Edgy wouldn't be a good thing but if Disney took a look at the past, and maybe use that as a stepping stone. Try not to make it hip, but maybe make it like a show that the whole family can enjoy. Everything has to be "edgy", but the fact that we are looking back at things in our childhood and nostalgic things, should tell you that sometimes being hip and new isn't necessarily the best thing. Maybe I'm just tired and will look at this in the morning and think "What the heck was I thinking when I wrote that" but it made sense at the time.

Daniel
  13. IgorPonweed New Member

We've learned that the Muppets are good for inuendo, but not full on edgeyness.
  14. Count von Count Active Member

It been like a year now with no new posts, on this thread.
    So I want to know has any one's views changed? After a year?
  15. muppets2 New Member

well i havent been on for a year (Or even 3 months) but my opinion is the same as it was when i joined cool:)
  16. unclematt Active Member

If they come through with everything that was talked about at D23 I will be very happy.
  17. tomahawk Member

Well, from what I've seen from the D23 is that Disney is finally breaking away from Jim Henson and the Henson company. From all of the Disney connections during the Muppet presentation, to the new Disneyized posters in MV3D and taking Mr. Hensons name off the ride.

The thing that is bothering me the most right now is the Steve Whitmire issue. Why not a word? :eek: It seems to me that there is a lot of changes going on and Disney is not going to say a thing about it. Seeing as that they are bound and determined to get the tween market with the Muppets and they won't care who is doing the characters.

The new stuff is great, but to lose the soul of the Muppets to just kick out more merchandise and get a younger audience seems , well Un-Muppet like.
  18. muppets2 New Member

i 3rd that
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Why didn't I say that? :D

Say what you will about Disney's ownership... but we only had 3 cancelled projects... The Muppet Reality Show (which was a terrible Idea, and I'm glad it never got picked up), The Mockumentary (which would have been great... the only one I'm actually disappointed we didn't see), and the Election Special (which would have been, frankly, too rushed a concept, and we would have never seen LTS). The Halloween special is happening next year, so it hasn't officially been canceled...

How many projects did Henson not follow through with? The TBS show was mentioned... there was something else I can't remember, and the FR and DC movies are in development purgatory now... the FR one waiting for Weinstine to get someone to partner their partnership (epic eye roll... :rolleyes: )... and it took us a year to get SUDS. Frankly, if one thing Disney has that Henson doesn't, it's a stronger leadership. Heck, even before the buyout, weren't there like 3 more movies and 2 TV shows Henson was planning for the Muppets that never happened, and we only got Oz out of it?
  20. Hat Sharpener New Member

Someone needs to write a guide to Muppet Forum Acronyms. I'm never sure how to type AVMMMMCM, and now TGMMOAT has been replaced by TCMMEM... It's like reading Roman Numerals...