My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 1980s when I lived in Houston (the 4th largest city in the United States) I remember going to the centrally located Blockbuster Video store and noticed those Muppet kid-vids made up the bulk of the Muppet selection. I even remarked to the store management about it, precocious kid that I was.

Of course that is just one flagship store of a major video chain in one of the largest cities in America, but I have the feeling these were more widely distributed in major markets upon initial release. Disney's distribution of "The Muppet Movie" and "The Great Muppet Caper" with Henson (after Jim's death) greatly helped boost the classic Muppet films. However, the covers were garish, kiddie and cartoony.

Of course, that was likely Disney's packaging of the films back then. I think they've come a long way since then in tasteful packaging. Not great, but good.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
All things considered, if I had a choice, I would prefer to see the kid-vids over a ton of Muppets From Space DVDs (which I see all the time now).

Drtooth

Reaction score
See, I saw that video back in the day and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the most amazing thing they ever did, and it was made for kids, but it wasn't dreadful. I just don't always judge a project based on how long the characters are on the screen, so long as their appearances are memorable. :smile:
Yeah, but I remember the Fozzie one as just a total let down. And I was young enough for the intended age at the time. It probably was good, but I just couldn't get past the fact his name was in the title and he was bear-ly in it. Wocka Wocka. And considering he was my favorite as a kid, you know how I feel about it.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
All things considered, if I had a choice, I would prefer to see the kid-vids over a ton of Muppets From Space DVDs (which I see all the time now).
That's funny, because it took me a lot of searching to find my copy of Muppets From Space. I eventually got mine from the giant Virgin
Records store in Downtown Disney. That being said, I probably didn't look hard enough.

What did everyone think of that Muppet TV thing over in France. I was so angry and ticked off that Disney shipped the actual puppets over to some studio where the non-original puppeteers are performing them.
Muppet TV is a step in the right direction, actually. Yes, it wasn't well executed, but I think it would be great to see a new Muppet Show with the classic characters in the US.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's funny, because it took me a lot of searching to find my copy of Muppets From Space. I eventually got mine from the giant Virgin
Records store in Downtown Disney. That being said, I probably didn't look hard enough.
Back about a couple years or so ago, Best Buy had quite a few copies of it marked down to 5.99, as well as multiple copies of KSY for the same price. I stupidly never picked KSY up.

That said:

What did everyone think of that Muppet TV thing over in France. I was so angry and ticked off that Disney shipped the actual puppets over to some studio where the non-original puppeteers are performing them.
I'm much more angry that they couldn't find a place for them over here. It actualyl doesn't matter that they didn't ship the puppeteers over with the puppets as well, but they don't speak fluent French. It's a step in a direction, let's put it at that. not even a big one.

So if it was a positive or negative thing, it's not like it was a major shift in either direction.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit to being slightly offended by Disney giving the Muppets a show in France before the US. Too bad they didn't have Pepe, though. It would be interesting to see exactly what they would have done with him.

Muppets TV wasn't completely terrible. The language is lost on me, but the puppets, for the most part, look attractive, the puppetry is mediocre but the voices appear to be dubbed. Even with the language barrier I could tell that. It's nice that they had a good assortment of characters as well.

The problem seems that they didn't give the Muppets much to do and a complete hour in which not to do it! I know Europeans are more relaxed than Americans, but the scripts could have used more us Yanks' punch to it. I am aware that The Muppet Show was shot in the UK, but I consider the Muppets to be American (of the rare, open-minded, cultural variety). :wink:

Disney should have done more with the gang here first. :mad:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And considering he was my favorite as a kid, you know how I feel about it.
Yeah I do know how that feels, especially when it's your favorite character. Oddly, I don't recall him being bear-ly there, hehe. Guess it's all about perception. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ok i just want to point out something, for all the ones who say that Disney is not doing anything with the muppets. I was looking tonight at the Muppet News Flash and found two great news articals that tell me Disney is now really working with the Muppets look here.....

http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2008/01/muppet-studios-preparing-to-launch-new.html

Now the other pice of news is that we are getting the Muppet show Season 3 in four to five months! not years not decads but MONTHS so i think insteed of all this complaining we should be saying thank you to the big Mouse upstairs!

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
ok i just want to point out something, for all the ones who say that Disney is not doing anything with the muppets. I was looking tonight at the Muppet News Flash and found two great news articals that tell me Disney is now really working with the Muppets look here.....

http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2008/01/muppet-studios-preparing-to-launch-new.html

Now the other pice of news is that we are getting the Muppet show Season 3 in four to five months! not years not decads but MONTHS so i think insteed of all this complaining we should be saying thank you to the big Mouse upstairs!
1. I don't really want a Muppets comic.
2. It's normal for a TV series being added to DVD to come out a half a year to a year apart.