1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Barry Lee, Sep 4, 2006.

1. RealMissPiggy

RealMissPiggy New Member

:attitude: Call me snobby but i think there is a difference im not pointing anyone out or saying name but some people know nothing about the Muppet's besides the names of the puppets them selfs!

For some people there Love is on a much deeper level.

If you ask me being a TRUE Muppet fan is knowing about
    Jim, his works, struggles and triumphs.

From the Bigs things-

Not knowing the origins of Kermit

the little -
    thinking pepe is a shrimp when in fact hes a king prawn!-LOL

Its like this, some people watch Muppet Christmas carol and think its the greats thing ever,but without ever seeing a Muppet Family Christmas you'll never really know how REAL Kermit celebrates Christmas! :)

*shrugs

To each his own i suppose but i am entitled to my Opinion;)
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I don't know, I still think you can be a true fan without knowing every little detail (which is not to say I don't know the history myself). I mean of course you have to know more than just their names but still...
    As for me I have never liked Pepe period. But then he is a lot like Rizzo, whom I've never cared for ether ;)
  3. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

Obessed fan knowing everything = me and many of the rest of us here lol
    Casual Fan = people who like the muppets but don't know everything.
    Does that make one better than the other?
    No, because it doesn't matter, muppet fans are muppet fans and at the end of the day that's what counts.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I guess I am more of a Casual Fan then :). I don't think I would want to know everything really, I'd rather just see it as magic talent and leave it at that :excited:
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I believe that how the Muppets are introduced to a fan influences their perception. I was born in 1974 and introduced to the Henson characters through Sesame Street. Now, the show already had five seasons before I was able to watch it. It was soon eclipsed in my life by the Muppet Show and what many fans consider a classic Muppet today. Now that doesn't diminish Sesame Street one bit or my love or fandom for it in my eyes and it shouldn't in anyone else's either. :wisdom:

Nonetheless, viewing the already airing Muppet Show and attending the theatrical release of the Muppet Movie in 1979 when I was five are largely how I was introduced to the Muppet gang. Many would say that is the ideal, but others might believe that being alive during the run of Sam & Friends trumps that. So I don't believe there is an adequate definition of a true or bigger fan. Heck, I provided much credited design work for here and Palisades and still don't feel like my fandom reaches the stratosphere of many others around here! You know who you are and, "You are all weirdoes!" :attitude:

Some hopped aboard the Muppets post Muppet Show with Manhattan, others a little later with Muppet Babies, some around here are firstly Fraggle fans, some hopped aboard with the Henson Hour or at the time of Jim's death, others hopped on with the post Jim Christmas Carol or Treasure Island, then there's always Muppets Tonight, and the infamous Muppets From Space, some of the newest fans discovered the NBC Christmas special or ABC's Wizard of Oz.

To tell you the truth, the two projects I'd withhold (until later) when introducing new fans to the Muppets are the Muppet Babies and Muppets from Space. My opinions on the production aside there are better projects that define the Muppets' personalities much better. I suppose that's the segment of fans that have the most disconnect with my Muppet taste. No judgments there. Just being honest. We are all fans - like Muppets - no better than the others except in the eye of the beholder (or puppet builders that quit making them for an unknown reason). ;)
  6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, I saw The Muppet Movie on vhs and then like most of my generation loved Muppet Babies :3. SS is pretty much a give in :)
    But you know, I knew MBs was different than the normal muppet movies but I did not care so much because they were just what I always loved about the muppets at the deepest level: funny :).

So just as I don't like Pepe but alot of younger fans do because he is funny to them, so I guess in turn someone older than me would not like MBs, even though I do.
    It's all about you as a person I think, not a matter of lording over another person as more or less of a fan because they like something you think isn't worth two cents. IMHO it's all a matter of taste :3.
    We can all live together in peace yup yup :D!
  7. TheJimHensonHour

I grew up with Sesame also and Emmit Otter and toss in a lil muppet show and fraggle rock and you've got me hooked for life.
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I still say I must have watched Fraggle Rock at some time when I was a baby because I still call my mother 'Ma' and I think that is where I got it ;).

I think what hooked me was when the Muppets went to Disneyworld :excited: . It's funny how Disney owns them now that I think about it :coy:
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I agree. I still think that one's personal taste of the Muppets is influenced by the projects that introduced them to the gang but not completely. Independent personal taste does have a lot to do with it too.

As a fan in his 30s I like Pepe. I find he fits so well that it feels he's been there all along. So I don't think it's just the young people he connects with. There are classic elements of Muppetness in the shrimp...er...king prawn. :rolleyes:

Maybe the prawn's got a time machine?
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Something just seems a bit..off to me about Pepe. But then, like I said I never quite 'got' Rizzo ether. I don't know why :\
    Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their least favorites to :)
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm there with you on Rizzo. I like him okay and I love the Muppet rats but Rizzo's probably my least favorite of the bunch. I think both Pepe and Rizzo have personalities that try too hard at times, but Pepe has this aloof self-deluded quality to him that I find endearing and Muppety. Kind of like how Fozzie thinks his jokes are funny no matter how he performs. Pepe also has this sharpness that is a little disconcerting and less Muppety to some fans, but I think the gang needs that. In some ways the prawn is more of a diva than the pig! :o
  12. TheJimHensonHour

That's funny you saw that see by that alone you could say your a better fan lol I've never seen it until recently on youtube.
    I really want disney to release it on dvd, it wouldn't be hard to do that at all.
  13. TheJimHensonHour

And that's why I love the Prawn, I think it would be cute if he had a pawn shop on the site or on a new show and would try to sell people things and it could be called Pepe's Pawn Shop but the Pawn could have lil r in it to make it look like it says Prawn lol
  14. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

I beg to differ - There have been lots of new things that CTW/Sesame Workshop have created that have been new and wonderful for KIDS. The Beginning Together DVD series is awesome - Controversial because of people that think babies can't retain any information other than knowing when it's time to eat. The Play with me Sesame DVD's are again at a new level with virtual environments that make it easier for a performer to imagine as children do to get the job done. Digital sets are the wave of the future. And Although Abby is a great addition to the cast... Elmo may still be the focus - But that is the target market 3 1/2 year old kids that want to learn and count to 20+. Wanna do something to get this back in the public eye - Help the Jim Henson Legacy - Have kids and teach them what we all learned.:insatiable:
  15. RealMissPiggy

RealMissPiggy New Member

.......---------------.......

I never said that one is better then the other- Just Driffrent....:o

Fan is short for FANATIC AND IM ONE
  16. RealMissPiggy

RealMissPiggy New Member

I never said that one is better then the other- Just Driffrent....:o

Fan is short for FANATIC AND IM ONE :crazy:
  17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The thing is I remember when the target was 6-10 year olds . I'm really sad that it has been aimed lower :(.
    After all, it is better that they aim as high as they can early on :). Even if the SS I remember was not aimed at three year old me I remember understanding it just the same back in the day :D

I think the more 'all ages' things the muppets do the more muppety they really act IMHO, phooey on target ages.
    Oh course, I know I watched MBs far into my teens and still watch it today. And what was their target?
    3-8? *lol*
  18. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

Going on what was said earlier, I was introduced to the Muppets from Muppet Babies, and though obviously Muppet Babies was an important part of my childhood, the Muppets are so much more than that and I don't want people to think I am solely a Muppet Babies fan.

I was lucky enough to watch reruns of such classics as The Frog Prince, Emmet Otter, The Muppet Show, and Muppet Family Christmas on Nickelodeon when I was growing up, along with Muppet Babies. And on the Disney Channel, I would watch Fraggle Rock and on ocassion, I would watch Sesame Street as well.

I think as a small child, I really connected to the spirit of Muppet Babies, which was mainly about using your imagination and I still really embrace that lesson. But, the Muppets really shine through best as puppets, not cartoons. And a wider audience can really enjoy projects such as The Muppet Show, which I will admit, though I watched all the time, I didn't remember details as well as Muppet Babies. (That's not to say I didn't or don't love it. Though I will say that now, that I'm an adult, I really got something else out of it.)

Amazingly enough, it was only in the past six months that I saw the original three Muppet Movies for the first time and I was touched. I think that's why I decided to join Muppet Central in the first place. Seeing those movies really sparked something in me. I felt like I was five again.
  19. Marky

Marky Member

I was always into puppets as a kid - this is why The Muppet Babies didn't really do anything for me (Plus I was 9 going on 10). I watched it, but considered it a completely second-rate project.
    I knew who Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz and Richard Hunt were when I was a kid - I did class projects on The Muppets any chance I could!

So... I also knew that none of them were even doing the voices for the MB cartoon. No puppetry - no original cast... meh.
  20. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I want to say that i love the Muppet Babies and i think in the end of it all it may really have intorduced a younger crowed to the classic muppets.