Muppets resurgence at Disney's California Adventure

Should Henson get more involved with Disney?

• Yes, now is the perfect time

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Maybe, if it's their best or only option

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • No, Henson should stay away at all costs

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beebers

Reaction score
From Variety:

"To the Editor:

Reading excerpts from Stanley Gold's letter to Michael Eisner, a particular phrase caught my eye: 'the enormous loss of creative talent over the last years.'

My husband, Buddy Baker, who passed away last year, was a composer at the Disney Studio for 28 years. Despite his body of work, including director of all music for Epcot, after Buddy retired in 1983 he heard not one word from anyone regarding returning to do freelance work, of which there was always plenty.

It was not until 16 years later, when the new "Winnie-the-Pooh" ride for Disney World (now also at Disneyland) was being discussed, when someone in a meeting asked, 'Who can we get to do the music?'

Dick Sherman said, 'How about Buddy Baker?' The reply was, 'Oh, is he still around?'

. . .he was very much around, having become Director of Film Scoring at USC, which became the best department of its kind in the world. He also instigated the Buddy Baker Workshop at NYU during the summer. In the last years of his life he did "Innoventions", "Sinbad", and "Journey to the Center of the Earth".

Buddy became an official Disney Legend and received the ASCAP Foundation's Lifetime Achievement Award. Too bad millions of people were deprived of hearing more of the wonderful music of this talented, underrated composer because of those lost 16 years, during which no one seemed to care."

Charlotte Baker
Santa Clarita

Luke

Reaction score
Warrick said:
Disney and Viacom have been talking to Henson since last year now. Nothing has come of it, Nothing has happened recently other than someone see Piggy outside the show.
True, but it's coming upto the point where the distribution contract expires which is pretty much Henson's biggest deal. If anything was to come out of these talks and they dump Columbia now would be the most predictable time for something to actually happen with anyone else.

jeremyactor

Reaction score
The Muppets appearing at Disney theme parks is nothing new.

What's probably going on is that they got the costumes fixed or cleaned, and had the proper staffing to bring them out at DCA. We have them out all the time at the Disney MGM Studios... they've been around for a LONG time (see my avatar for proof, it's been the same since this summer), so this isn't anything new. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Jeremy

wesbunting

Reaction score
Don't Kid Yourselves

:sing: Look, the problem isn't with Disney leadership as much as it is with Henson's. Disney gets worried sick when they see anyone come along with just a smidgeon of popularity and puts things in motion to acquire the potential threat. Henson would be well advise to jump this sinking ship and begin an amusement park/studio of their own and start working toward their own original programming leaning largely on formulas that have worked for them in the past. Disney is only out to control a threat.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Please, like Disney is scared of Henson. Henson is fighting to stay alive after all the crap they've been through the past few years, and they certainly have no money to build an amusement park. Henson is better off riding Disney's (or whoever else's) coattails so they can actually DO things that make them successful.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Disney should pair with Henson. That Piggy costume rocks!

turlem

Reaction score
No, i'm sorry to say it, but disney is evil, it's just evil, market involvemnt would be fine, help w/ merchandise and financing, but if the mouse owns them, it could be disastrous,

And i hate to say it, but part of me wonders if them pullin out in 1990 is a sign of this, they said the muppets can't live w/o jim, but they'd been centered around a dead guy for a while.

They're evil. I really hope they don't end up owning the muppets, they'll change them.

Now, if you'll excuse me, i hafta get the door, i'm not sure who it is, but i see a sillouette of a short fellow with two big ears and what appears to be a shotgun.

zootsuit

Reaction score
Disney is not evil. It is a wonderfull company that has entertained generations of familys and has been a great community for those who work there...I should know, my father worked for Disney for twenty years and I grew up at the parks...but that is rather irrelevant...the point is that a partnership between Disney and Henson (partnership,not corporate takeover) would be beneficial to both. A distribution arrangement something along the lines of the previous pixar contract would let Henson be as creativley independent as ever and at the same time bring exposure and finacial backing that is sorely needed.Now I agree that Eisner needs to be ousted..he has become a tyrant and has lost sight of what matters...but regardless, I still believe disney and henson are good for eachother. ok.sorry..thats all i have to say.

zootsuit

Reaction score
so i lied...i have one more comment. A distribution contract is the only kind that is even feasible...just sayin

Tera

Reaction score
It appears to me that a distribution deal for the Muppets through Disney could be great. However, I don't think anything beyond that is a good idea. They need their independence to create.