Muppets Auditions Sept 2005+

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Kevin the Frog said:
Well, I drove 550 miles from Indianapolis and got to lipsync for Kevin for 2 minutes. I had to go and try or I would be 80 yrs old and still kicking myself for not trying to be Kermit, but now I will always be kicking myself for not turning over the page and checkmarking the voices. Please convince me it wouldn't have made a difference!
It wouldn't have made a difference. If you got cut after the lip-sync, you could have written on the other side that you were miraculously transplanted with Jim Henson's own vocal chords and (even if that was true) they wouldn't have listened to you.

:stick_out_tongue:

MUPPETMONKEY

Reaction score
Well-well-well.... Sadly I couldn't make it after all but I wish the best to all of those who are about to perform and have been warming their tonsils talking like Jim, Richard and Frank all the weekend just for this.:wink:

And Kevin, don't sweat it. Like WOE said, if they cut you after the lip-sync, then that's it.
So easy, more oportunities shall come.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I feel better after your comments and a couple of beers. It did seem like 30% of the people had no clue about puppet technique and went because they lived in Toronto. I thought I had a chance!
Maybe there will be another chance, I feel like it's "something I'm s'posed to be". Someday we'll find it!

Jinx

Reaction score
Kevin, what did they have you lip sync to? For us it was some pimp-funk thing I had never heard before...and how exactly is one supposed to sync to a rhythm that one has never heard before?

When I teach puppetry seminars, the FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT things I teach are eye contact and lip sync. So I'd like to think that after 33 years of puppetry I've at least got that down! I was cut first round too. Really do not feel bad about your audition.

For me, without question, the best part of going was meeting Fozzie, Was Once Ernie, Peneolope Pitstop, Chilly Down, Propologist, Melonpool, Kermie Baby, Ray (are you still lurking, Ray? :smile:) and others from right here at Muppet Central. I'm soooooo glad I went!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Kevin, but hey it's just one audition right?

They apparently advertised the auditions in Eye Magazine and that probably brought out a lot of people with little or no puppetry experience.

BTW, nobody confirmed anything with me about the dinner so I called it off. I did contact everyone who left me a number or email just in case someone changed their mind. Hopefully no one was down at Jack Astor's wondering where people are!

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Kevin the Frog said:
{snip}...Barros was the only person I heard with a good Kermit voice (and an awesome Kermit puppet). I'm sure there were other good voices that kept quiet. Zack the Dog's puppet Sabastian was really cool.
People brought their own puppets to the audition?
I thought that was a no-no.
I'm guessing those puppets were viewed only in the waiting room and not the actual audition.

Kevin the Frog said:
but now I will always be kicking myself for not turning over the page and checkmarking the voices. Please convince me it wouldn't have made a difference!
It seems from what you wrote that the lip-synching came first at the audition and you were cut while they were trying people for lip-synching. If that's the case, it does not matter if you had written a dozen Muppet voices down on the paper or not since you never got to that round of the audition. So don't sweat it. It's a learning experinence for the future.

Actually, I think at all the auditions they should have tested for voices first. If they found someone who had true potential they could always teach that person lip-synching. If someone showed up who was a darn good Gonzo voice for example, it would be in the company's best interest to train that person for the future.

Any ideas what was the total number of people that showed up?

Reaction score
I had fun at the Toronto auditions...even though I got cut

Jinx said:
Kevin, what did they have you lip sync to? For us it was some pimp-funk thing I had never heard before...and how exactly is one supposed to sync to a rhythm that one has never heard before?
Yeah, that pimp-funk thing was EVIL! Even a Gilbert & Sullivan patter song would have been better...mainly because it would have been possible to make out the words!:stick_out_tongue:

It reminded me of a really hard improv game, in which you have to say everything in unison with your partner...and of course, you're both improvising, so everything quickly slows to an absolute crawl...which couldn't happen with that fast pimp-funk thing. Of course, for sentimental reasons, I wish they'd have used "Mahna-Mahna".

Still, it was great meeting all the other puppeteers who'd come from so far away to audition. I especially loved getting to play with Sebastian T. Frog, in the waiting area. I must track down his creator, and see about getting one of his relatives for my own hot little hands.

And of course, having a chance to perform nude (puppetically-speaking) for Kevin Clash was an amazing, and nerve-wracking, experience. I never expected to get beyond the first cut, because I've only been at this for about a year, but I got another great story to add to my memoirs. And my writing partner's little boy now thinks his Wacky Aunt Patte is even cooler, because she got to be silly for the guy who plays Elmo!

When I rode home on the subway with my own puppet (the blue bug-monster with the psychedelic eyes and the rainbow curls), I couldn't resist taking her out and letting her wave to the work-crews in the subway tunnels. It's amazing how even burly construction guys, working in dark, dirty, old tunnels, light up when they see a puppet!:big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I would hope that folks did have a good experience at the auditions. I had fun, learned a lot, met new folks, met folks I admire, and got a chance to hang with my MC bunch!

The auditioning process is brutal, not just for this but for anything. Be proud of yourself for having gone.

I wish everyone could have met up like we did in Hollywood. It was awesome!

I'm proud of everyone for trying.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
We did actually meet up. There was some confusion, but people ended up at Jack Astor's about an hour later than originally planned. I was late to arrive, but it was great meeting everyone and it was really nice to put some names to faces.

Zack is doing a callback today and some of the people who got cut are seeing the sites around Toronto today. I was supposed to meet up with them, but had a problem with the car I was using...d'oh! Next time we do something like this we definately need a cell phone contact list!