MuppetFest: Discuss Original and Your Dreams

beaker

Reaction score
unclematt said:
I really think that if we want to have a Muppet Fest again we have to call some kind of truce with those at tough pigs
I agree, but beyond that, we would really have to have the participation of at least *some* folks deeply connected/involved with JHC, Sesame Workshop and the Muppets. A Muppet gathering without at least a couple of muppeteers/muppets wouldnt be the same. There'd also have to be a HUGE buzz to be created across the "hip" blogospheres, and make it appeal to the teen/20 something crowd as something they should attend.

What made Muppetfest so amazing, was that virtually everyone involved in the Muppets/Henson company was there. Save for some "Muppet" weekend at California Disney with Muppet fans agreeing to meet up, it'd really have to take Creation Entertainment or some fan organizaiton to do something grand.

THEN there is now the legal seperation. Whereas at Muppetfest they had Elmo and Bear, Henson Company is now notorious for playing history revisionist when they have mini festivals or gatherings these days...pretending as if Kermit doesnt even exist.

So Im not sure how ya could have a true new Muppet gathering with participation, especially now that the Muppets are owned by one of the biggest, and no holds barred corporations in the world.

I mean if 70 fans agreeing to meet at a hotel/restaruant with *maybe* someone who did floral arrangements for Muppets John Denver Special
is about as "epic" and "grand" as it will ever get...well, I don't know what to say.

unclematt

Reaction score
Why would Disney not want to cooperate with something the fans want. It is not like Disney doesnt have the money and they could sell things to cover some of those costs. Come on we are Muppets fans, if there is something we really wantr to buy we will find a way to make it happen. I really want a Muppetfest and I will do everything I can physically do to make it happen.

beaker

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Why would Disney not want to cooperate with something the fans want. It is not like Disney doesnt have the money and they could sell things to cover some of those costs. Come on we are Muppets fans, if there is something we really wantr to buy we will find a way to make it happen. I really want a Muppetfest and I will do everything I can physically do to make it happen.
They might, but what I meant was getting BOTH JHC together with Disney. A JHCless Muppet gathering seems hollow.

BEAR

Reaction score
So weird that it seems the Jim Henson Company has tried to distance themselves and cut off any ties with the name Kermit the Frog and the Muppets. Does this mean that Brian Henson will have nothing to do with the Muppets ever? Will he not be playing Sal Manilla ever again?

beaker

Reaction score
BEAR said:
So weird that it seems the Jim Henson Company has tried to distance themselves and cut off any ties with the name Kermit the Frog and the Muppets. Does this mean that Brian Henson will have nothing to do with the Muppets ever? Will he not be playing Sal Manilla ever again?

Pretty much, JHC has gone out of their way in brochures, pamphlets,
presentations, interviews, and mini film festivals to pretend Kermit and the Mupepts never even existed. So I can even blame Disney...its like JHC just wanted to go to extreme lengths for some bizarre reason.

Heck, they even removed Kermit from Emmet Otter. Of course, they still use alot of Muppet puppets in Puppet Up and most likely in future productions...but
yeah, theyve completely nixed any reference or history to them it feels like.

I wonder how the Muppeteers, lower staff, worldwide Muppet fans and former puppet builders feel about this? Thats why the post Feb 2004 era has been none to kind.

BEAR

Reaction score
beaker said:
Pretty much, JHC has gone out of their way in brochures, pamphlets,
presentations, interviews, and mini film festivals to pretend Kermit and the Mupepts never even existed. So I can even blame Disney...its like JHC just wanted to go to extreme lengths for some bizarre reason.

Heck, they even removed Kermit from Emmet Otter. Of course, they still use alot of Muppet puppets in Puppet Up and most likely in future productions...but
yeah, theyve completely nixed any reference or history to them it feels like.

I wonder how the Muppeteers, lower staff, worldwide Muppet fans and former puppet builders feel about this? Thats why the post Feb 2004 era has been none to kind.

Makes me sad and angry at the same time.:mad: :frown:

unclematt

Reaction score
I really hope that JHC reaches out to Disney or Disney reaches out to JHC. I dont honestly see eitheer compnay being successful without the other.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's sad to know that we will only learn anything "in time." Somebody's gotta give in and listen to us fans!! If Disney, JHC, and SW are going to make money off us, then they need to listen to us and give us what we want.

beaker

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
It's sad to know that we will only learn anything "in time." Somebody's gotta give in and listen to us fans!! If Disney, JHC, and SW are going to make money off us, then they need to listen to us and give us what we want.
Yeah, I mean we might not have the sheer numbers, zealous fervency, or
presense online as say, the "Firefly" fans or Farscapers, but we deserve *some* sort of convention and fan service. I for one think they could make a legal exception and have a joint "Muppet Holding Company"/JHC event. There is many of us who will travel anywhere within the US to go.

unclematt

Reaction score
beaker said:
Yeah, I mean we might not have the sheer numbers, zealous fervency, or
presense online as say, the "Firefly" fans or Farscapers, but we deserve *some* sort of convention and fan service. I for one think they could make a legal exception and have a joint "Muppet Holding Company"/JHC event. There is many of us who will travel anywhere within the US to go.
Would it be illegal for them to come to some kind of agreement with the two companies. I mean both companies need to be able to look at the bigger picture. We obviously cant have an event without Kermit and the gang and I wouldnt want to have an event without all the SS crew or the Fraggles or anything that has come out of JHC. I would even like to be able to maybe have Puppet Up performance. It really could be a great weekend. I think we need to find a way to make this happen with the two companies (3 if you include SW).