Muppet or Man?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Great picture!!!
I'm trying to figure out how you did it.................

Puckrox

Reaction score
Aw, my life would probably be easier if I was asexual/not a hopeless romantic. Heck I often think things would be easier if I was gay.
I love being a hopeless romantic, but yeah, it does often end in heart break/rejection/whatnot, doesn't it? Which sucks.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------------------
Don't be a hopeless romantic. Be a hopeFUL romantic. And picky. I don't mean going by looks, trying to get your "perfect ten"...but be picky about a person's soul.

Sigh. At this point, though, some nights I'd take just having someone who smelled nice and was willing to hold me in his sleep...other than my cat! :smile: Besides, he hogs the center of the bed. And has claws. Having one's face held in one's sleep by a kitteh is not quite as endearing when they have a tendency to knead...

In another thread, someone else (I think Heralde?) mentioned having nightmares after a really good day. YES. Going back to my original post in this thread, the night after I saw "The Muppets" last week, I had a truly hideous nightmare which I know stemmed directly from my emotional response to the "Man or Muppet" song: all I recall (or want to) is that I discovered grotesque wormlike THINGS growing out of the back of my knees, nasty living writhing things somewhat like the eyeball-stalk-flowers from "Labyrinth" but with gelled blood instead of an eye (I touched one to learn that). I freaked out and yelled something about it to a friend of mine, and she (still in the dream) calmly set about explaining to me that given my genetic makeup this really wasn't an uncommon phenomenon... I woke up panting and with my heart pounding and shaking all over. Immediately I knew this was a blatant expression of my own conviction that I am a complete weirdo.

Anyone else ever have freakish moments like that? Or am I even stranger than I suspect? :concern:
---------------------------------

Puckrox

Reaction score
--------------------------------
Don't be a hopeless romantic. Be a hopeFUL romantic. And picky. I don't mean going by looks, trying to get your "perfect ten"...but be picky about a person's soul.
I am picky when it comes to the soul of the person I want to be with. Looks can be a plus, but they're never a must. I've come to know that I have to feel some sort of a connection with a guy in order to be with him. I've turned down a couple of guys who've asked me out in the past couple years and friends always keep urging me to give them a chance, but if the guy can't make me laugh and if we have nothing to talk about outside of school because we share no interests, then I can't do it. You have to be picky with relationships. I jumped into my first ever relationship with the first guy who made goo-goo eyes at me, and that ended rather poorly. You've gotta be attracted to who they are as a person, and guy friends who've asked me out I just knew wouldn't mesh well with me. Blerg.

Sigh. At this point, though, some nights I'd take just having someone who smelled nice and was willing to hold me in his sleep...other than my cat! :smile: Besides, he hogs the center of the bed. And has claws. Having one's face held in one's sleep by a kitteh is not quite as endearing when they have a tendency to knead...
You basically just summed up my life, Newsie. Both of my roommates are in relationships and rarely ever home, so I always joke, "I'm the fifth wheel of our household. I have no one... except my cat." She likes to crawl on me in the middle of the night. At least she's stopped licking me to wake me up in the mornings.

beaker

Reaction score
I love being a hopeless romantic, but yeah, it does often end in heart break/rejection/whatnot, doesn't it? Which sucks.
It's certainly an interesting position and perspective to come from. I think if I had had more luck in that department, perhaps I would not been blessed with the perspective or angle I do. I notice people used to getting guys/girls or always being in relationships seem jaded and it doesnt seem very special to them. People also tend to not take time to evolve or work on themselves when they are always in the throws of relationships. I often meet up for lunch or coffee with female friends, and it's always disheartening to hear their horror stories or just the caliber of guys they put up with. A female friend I had lunch with and went shopping with today relied how her current guy she's kind of seeing doesnt really get her humor at all. I quipped how for me a similar sense of humor connection is one of the most important things I value in a relationship.

In a way I have to look at it like having grown up poor. I was able to really appreciate things a lot more and foster my imagination a thousand fold, something I still strongly hold today as a central tenet. Now that I now have my own nice place to myself, I can appreciate that and luxuries more than if I had just had them handed to me from a well to do family. So to me its similar, to where if Im able to connect with someone on that squishy fluttery level it'll be that much more nifty.

mariolover

Reaction score
I have very similar conflicting feelings about being a Muppet Freak as i do being a gay man.

I like to think that gay men have that Special Something that sets us apart, a bit more cultured, less crude/animalistic. When i think of straight men i think of guys belching; when i think of gay men i think of them talking about things in depth and being very sensitive towards others. But then reality hits when i spent any amount of time in huge social gatherings and the reality sinks in that gay men can be just a big of pigs (not the good Muppet brand of pigs of course) than straight men. As an overweight way-past-my-"Sell-By"-date man, i always feel like an outsider in both communities; discriminated against by straight society and shunned by gay society for not being a "10"...and for valueing friendship based relationships over sex-based ones etc.

I feel the same kind of conflicts about being a Muppet Freak. I love talking with others online but locally there's no one really like me in my corner of the country. I've often dreamed/wished for the perfect friend (could be a Best Friend, a boyfriend or some fuzzy spot in between) that shared the same basic values in life and was also a huge Muppet fan on top. But like just about any other dreams i've ever had in life, i've had to let go of the idea of it ever coming true.

What i really want is some melding of Jason Segel's characters from The Muppets and I Love You, Man!

Man or Muppet? Not really sure - can i answer "Muppet Monster" since that's what i relate to the most? Not a Lover and not a Dreamer (since dreams don't come true for the likes of me" so i guess i'm a "You" by default.
I would recommend going to a gay pride meeting or a gay bar if you're looking for a boyfriend. I'm sure you will find many gay/bisexual men there. It may also help you to feel more accepted. You may also want to see a therapist to help you sort things out if you don't see one already. Even though I'm straight, I am a straight ally. My brother is gay, and I have several gay and bisexual friends that go to my school, some that are in college, and a few adults too. I even have one friend at school who is a trans girl. I go to see 2 therapists to sort out my personal issues in life like generalized and social anxiety, occasional depression, having trouble fitting in and socializing, etc.. one of my 2 therapists is gay (the other is straight) as well, and I fully support you for being gay and I have nothing against gay people. I can imagine it can be difficult being gay, but I am not exactly in your shoes because I'm not a part of the LGBT community. My brother came out of the closet sophomore year of high school and he said no one made fun of him to his face, but that doesn't mean you won't if you come out. The coming out experience is different for every LGBT person who does it. I can imagine being transgender is tough for transgender people as well. There is a possibility that some people that you know in your area are closeted gays and bisexuals, so you may not be the only one in your area that's gay. Maybe someday those people will open up about it and that would be good because it would help you connect. If you haven't come out to everybody yet and you're not ready, don't feel pressured to come out. Coming out can be very scary for some people and you shouldn't do it until you're ready. I know an adult who knew he was gay since he was like 15 (which was like 15 years ago, weird coincidence isn't it?), but he didn't come out until recently, 15 years later, which would mean he is 30 now. Some people never come out and they are just secretly gay forever. So only come out if you want to. I imagine it takes guts to come out of the closet, but I've heard it's very worth it and it makes people feel so much better and much more free. I wish you the best of luck on your gay journey and I hope you find a group of people who accept you for who you are. Best wishes!

mariolover

Reaction score
I would recommend going to a gay pride meeting or a gay bar if you're looking for a boyfriend. I'm sure you will find many gay/bisexual men there. It may also help you to feel more accepted. You may also want to see a therapist to help you sort things out if you don't see one already. Even though I'm straight, I am a straight ally. My brother is gay, and I have several gay and bisexual friends that go to my school, some that are in college, and a few adults too. I even have one friend at school who is a trans girl. I go to see 2 therapists to sort out my personal issues in life like generalized and social anxiety, occasional depression, having trouble fitting in and socializing, etc.. one of my 2 therapists is gay (the other is straight) as well, and I fully support you for being gay and I have nothing against gay people. I can imagine it can be difficult being gay, but I am not exactly in your shoes because I'm not a part of the LGBT community. My brother came out of the closet sophomore year of high school and he said no one made fun of him to his face, but that doesn't mean you won't if you come out. The coming out experience is different for every LGBT person who does it. I can imagine being transgender is tough for transgender people as well. There is a possibility that some people that you know in your area are closeted gays and bisexuals, so you may not be the only one in your area that's gay. Maybe someday those people will open up about it and that would be good because it would help you connect. If you haven't come out to everybody yet and you're not ready, don't feel pressured to come out. Coming out can be very scary for some people and you shouldn't do it until you're ready. I know an adult who knew he was gay since he was like 15 (which was like 15 years ago, weird coincidence isn't it?), but he didn't come out until recently, 15 years later, which would mean he is 30 now. Some people never come out and they are just secretly gay forever. So only come out if you want to. I imagine it takes guts to come out of the closet, but I've heard it's very worth it and it makes people feel so much better and much more free. I wish you the best of luck on your gay journey and I hope you find a group of people who accept you for who you are. Best wishes!
I even know one person who identifies as pansexual and another person who identifies as genderqueer, and I imagine those can be tough too. If you don't know what those terms mean, look them up

mariolover

Reaction score
I have very similar conflicting feelings about being a Muppet Freak as i do being a gay man.

I like to think that gay men have that Special Something that sets us apart, a bit more cultured, less crude/animalistic. When i think of straight men i think of guys belching; when i think of gay men i think of them talking about things in depth and being very sensitive towards others. But then reality hits when i spent any amount of time in huge social gatherings and the reality sinks in that gay men can be just a big of pigs (not the good Muppet brand of pigs of course) than straight men. As an overweight way-past-my-"Sell-By"-date man, i always feel like an outsider in both communities; discriminated against by straight society and shunned by gay society for not being a "10"...and for valueing friendship based relationships over sex-based ones etc.

I feel the same kind of conflicts about being a Muppet Freak. I love talking with others online but locally there's no one really like me in my corner of the country. I've often dreamed/wished for the perfect friend (could be a Best Friend, a boyfriend or some fuzzy spot in between) that shared the same basic values in life and was also a huge Muppet fan on top. But like just about any other dreams i've ever had in life, i've had to let go of the idea of it ever coming true.

What i really want is some melding of Jason Segel's characters from The Muppets and I Love You, Man!

Man or Muppet? Not really sure - can i answer "Muppet Monster" since that's what i relate to the most? Not a Lover and not a Dreamer (since dreams don't come true for the likes of me" so i guess i'm a "You" by default.
I have a girlfriend right now (we haven't officially started dating yet, but I talk to her almost every day in school.) Her name is Skylar. I got her flowers, a stuffed puppy, and some Reese's peanut butter cups to show her how much I truly love her. Because of my autism, that makes it a little more difficult for me to maintain a good relationship. But I try my best to look nice by doing core work, running, and going to the gym to lift weights. I also try my best to have good manners, which is another struggle I have because of my autism. A lot of guys lift weights, and lifting will make you look better and more attractive. Don't have sex when you first get your boyfriend. And NEVER ask your first boyfriend (or any boyfriend for that matter) to have sex with you. It will naturally happen. Having sex with either the same sex or the opposite sex is something you have to be very careful about, and you could very easily be accused of rape if you do it wrong. I would recommend not doing it until at least a year of being in your relationship. Getting a lover is a very slow process, and I would recommend you take the process very slow. Start out as just friends. Like I said, talk to a therapist or any other trusted person if you need help with the process of getting a boyfriend. You should also never ask a guy out unless you know for sure that they are gay or bisexual, even if you suspect they might be. The only way to know for sure if someone is gay or bisexual is if they're out of the closet, and many gay and bisexual people are still closeted because they're afraid of being judged and rejected.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I have a girlfriend right now (we haven't officially started dating yet, but I talk to her almost every day in school.) Her name is Skylar. I got her flowers, a stuffed puppy, and some Reese's peanut butter cups to show her how much I truly love her. Because of my autism, that makes it a little more difficult for me to maintain a good relationship. But I try my best to look nice by doing core work, running, and going to the gym to lift weights. I also try my best to have good manners, which is another struggle I have because of my autism. A lot of guys lift weights, and lifting will make you look better and more attractive. Don't have sex when you first get your boyfriend. And NEVER ask your first boyfriend (or any boyfriend for that matter) to have sex with you. It will naturally happen. Having sex with either the same sex or the opposite sex is something you have to be very careful about, and you could very easily be accused of rape if you do it wrong. I would recommend not doing it until at least a year of being in your relationship. Getting a lover is a very slow process, and I would recommend you take the process very slow. Start out as just friends. Like I said, talk to a therapist or any other trusted person if you need help with the process of getting a boyfriend. You should also never ask a guy out unless you know for sure that they are gay or bisexual, even if you suspect they might be. The only way to know for sure if someone is gay or bisexual is if they're out of the closet, and many gay and bisexual people are still closeted because they're afraid of being judged and rejected.
Congratulations to you!