Muppet or Man?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You're lucky! I've felt like Ive had to hide my Muppet love, much in the way someone might feel they have to hide their sexuality or religion. Its like someone can wear Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny...but theres a stigma with Kermit and the gang..."oh thats that old baby stuff...I remember muppet babies and sesame street".

But now hopefully more and more people will come out of the muppet closet to show their muppety pride!
Well like I said, I was still picked on for other things, so life wasn't all giggles, lol.

But as far as the Muppets, I have gotten a slightly more mixed reaction as a grown up. I mean I still have friends who enjoy the Muppets and want to watch them with me. And when I mentioned that I'd bought the Muppet Show DVD, some people were intrigued and asked where I'd found it. But others gave me a kind of dismissive giggle which did annoy me, heh. Another time I had my Street Gang book with me and my friend asked, "What are you 12?" Lol

robodog

Reaction score
I was a wierd kid growing up. I was picked on a lot for it. I really had no escape. At home my father was abusive. He hated the things i was into and hated me pretending and using my imagination. If you think of the Dursleys from Harry Potter you're pretty much on the money, though the books never portray the Dursleys as being physically abusive and my father most certainly was.
School was no better. I got it from my classmates as well as some of my teachers. As a result I've been depressed most of my life, sometimes to the point of being suicidal.
I'm not looking for that special someone. I tend to avoid people like the plague. I won't be seeing The Muppets until it comes on TV or Pay Per View. I can't stand the idea of sitting in a crowded theatre with a bunch of strangers. Plus, most theatres won't let you carry things like backpacks in ( at least the ones around here don't ) and I don't go anywhere where I can't have my backpack. The things I carry in it are very important to my emotional well being. I fear house fires or theft so I always keep them with me.
I tend to like dogs better than I do people and I've spent much of my life creating dog characters for my own amusement. I used to spend more time in school drawing dogs than I did doing actual schoolwork. I also used to buy dog puppets and bring them to life, giving them each their own personalities. I've always been fascinated with puppetry and animatronics. I loved the idea of creating a creature and breathing life into it. When I was in my late teens/early twenties I wanted to get into robotics. I'd still love to learn how to build animatronic creatures. In the early 00's I became fascinated by the idea of robotic pets since that was about the time these things were showing up on toy store shelves. I'd still love to get into a job where I can create them. I think robotic pets are important. They allow people to have pets even if they are in a situation where a flesh and blood pet is not allowed. I think it's because I'm terrified that at some point I'll find myself in a situation where I can't have a real dog. Dogs are probably the only things that give me the will to go on. If I was in a situation where I couldn't have one I'd probably end up commiting suicide. As a result I've started stockpiling the various robotic/animatronic toy dogs that are released periodically. These robotic dogs are also a lot like talismans for me. I hold them when I'm deeply depressed or having a panic attack and they usually make me feel better. I'm currently trying to acquire as many of the new FurReal Cookie robot dogs as I can ( the dog in my avatar ). They are probably the best things I have ever owned.
Obviously liking the Muppets is probably the least wierd thing about me. I have always tried to stay true to myself and never give in and conform into being something others want me to be. I'd rather be hated for being who I am than loved for being someone I am not.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
Yeah, I kind of thought Walter was present in many of us. I see I've touched a nerve...and that's good. You folks make me feel a little less lonely, seeing everyone jumping in here on such an introspective topic! Thank you. :sympathy:

dw...Honestly, though I've been through that stereotypical view (gay men as more cultured, etc) I've found it really doesn't pan out and that sexual orientation has little to do with one's worldview in terms of being well-read, or crude, or willing to think outside the box, or stuck in the box and-that's-the-way-we-like-it. Which is somewhat good, in that realizing that encourages a dismissal of ALL stereotypes! But yes...people are often shallow, especially younger ones (the teen-through-20s group, just from my own observation locally this decade, seem obsessed with appearances to a level not seen since Victorian mores), and that makes it all the more difficult for those of us who aren't perfect 10s to find someone willing to take a chance on us. I really, really hope you at last run into the perfect someone -- and he's single! (I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone who made my jaw drop intellectually as well as physically and learned they were already involved...sigh.)

@the original post made by newsmanfan:

We're all lovers, dreamers, and weirdo whatnots here. We all can identitfy with Gonzo in some way as well as Walter.

Life is very odd...I like to think within the rich tableaux of life and the tapestry of memories that make up our individual narrative, things are meant to unfold when they do. I'm not religious, but that idea of fate keeps me going. Seemingly random disparate layers converging when they need to.
Yeah, I hear ya... I recently did a Tarot reading for myself, just a full spread to think about where I am in my life (and no, I don't believe any outside source "gives you" the cards -- but it IS a useful tool for introspection and symbolism-exploring in oneself) and the overall message was basically: you've got a stable situation right now financially, you're accomplishing creative things, steady work at those creative things will bring you greater satisfaction...what are you complaining about? Which I thought was pretty fair, all things considered. But dangit...even living with housemates gets lonely. Sounds like several of you know that: how to be Alone in a crowd. Not a bad place to be...but not very satisfying either.

The view of the Muppets as "kid stuff" baffles me. I'm always thinking, "Did you ever WATCH the show? it was NOT aimed at kids!" The new movie is a perfect example: so many jokes in it which little kids will NOT grasp, but those of us with a more mature worldview, or more years on the clock (and hopefully the latter includes the former!) can appreciate it more deeply. The Kermit/Piggy relationship was portrayed in a very mature fashion in that. So people somehow thinking that all Muppets are like Elmo is truly puzzling to me. Then again, I've noticed that most people take their opinions from their usually wildly misinformed peers instead of seeking answers for themselves...one of the reasons I love Newsie so much. At least he TRIES to inform the public! Frog knows we need more facts in this world and less opinion!

And robodog: not all people are scary. I'm terribly sorry you've had the kind of life which makes you want to hide away from everything, but glad you're at least engaging in conversation here! If it helps, I had a stuffie frog (creatively named, of course, Froggy) which I was inseperable from ages 5--14, though I didn't take him to school again after a classmate played with him too hard and my mother had to sew an arm back on! I currently have a little Newsie (the Pallisades figure) who occasionally goes on field trips with me shopping, to the library, etc...and the looks I get are almost always followed up by people unable to resist asking what's up with him. Whereupon I expound on my love for all things Muppety. And more often than not I get enthusiastic or at least tolerant responses. I know it's a lot harder when your peer group/world is younger, though.

So here's a serious question for you all: is it better to go with the flow, and see what comes downriver to you in terms of possible relationships, or is it better to seek them out -- not in a sense of desperation, just exploration! -- where one feels compatible partners might possibly be found? Or IS there such a place? :smile:
---------------------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
robodog said:
If you think of the Dursleys from Harry Potter you're pretty much on the money, though the books never portray the Dursleys as being physically abusive and my father most certainly was.
*nods* We should share stories. :smile:
As a result I've been depressed most of my life, sometimes to the point of being suicidal.
Tried twice as a kid. I guess I don't do it right. Now I figure since I'm obviously stuck here, might as well go with it. :stick_out_tongue:
I'm not looking for that special someone.
And I bet that drives everyone CRAZY, doesn't it? I mean, I have to hear "why don't you" nearly every day. My plan is simple: hold off until I'm successful and by then I'll be too old to care.
I'd rather be hated for being who I am than loved for being someone I am not.
They're hard to find (apparently), but for every Gonzo, there's a Camilla. :big_grin:
True, there's only one Gonzo on earth, so that kinda sucks, LOL.
newsmanfan said:
Yeah, I kind of thought Walter was present in many of us.
I'm torn between feeling as though I'm actually both Walter AND Gary (Mary doesn't seem to have this issue, so I can't really discuss her). I'm a human who passed as a kid for YEARS after puberty (and even now people don't believe I'm in my 30s). My family in general ages veeeerrrryyyyy slowly, but I'm the only one who still likes cartoons, the Muppets, etc. I feel like I'm Gary wanting to be a real Muppet (God, I'd pay You, if You want), but I actually have issues Walter had to deal with.
is it better to go with the flow, and see what comes downriver to you in terms of possible relationships, or is it better to seek them out
I don't feel it's right to speak for anyone but oneself regarding this. I don't WANT to seek anyone out, but I can respect some people feel a need to. I just tend to wait and let Fate throw things at my lap.
where one feels compatible partners might possibly be found? Or IS there such a place?
When I die and go to Heaven, Jareth will be God, I'll live next to Kermit and Piggy's house, and I'll explore Fraggle Rock while dating Spike. Ah, the fun will never end! :big_grin:

Puckrox

Reaction score
I dont really get crushes on famous people or actors, but indeed Jason Segel embodies that kind, warm sense of wonderment. I mean I believe it when he says he teared up seeing Kermit in person for the first time and how surreal this whole process has been.
When he talks about how, at the first table read, when Kermit read his first line and he just broke down crying? My heart swells. I used to get infatuated with celebrities/actors all the time growing up, since guys never gave me the time of day so it was just easier to fall in love with the unattainable (not to mention it hurt a lot less). Now that I've actually had a few romantic endeavors I haven't crushed on celebrities much, but man, Jason Segel. Ten years older than me my foot, I do not care, I would climb mountains for that man.

I get that same vibe from Kisten Schaal, an actress I just recently found out about.
Kristen Schaal is adorable. I wish she was in more things. I always get excited whenever she guest corresponds on The Daily Show.

I personally don't see how Muppet fans can be with non muppet fans...now I dont mean someone has to even know who Marvin Suggs and Thog is...but at least someone who lights up when they see the muppets. I know online some muppet fangirls and i always wonder how they can date someone who is kind of "meh" on the muppets, or not into the nerd/geek stuff they like.
The last guy I was sort of seeing? I slept over at his place once and when we were eating breakfast the next morning, he pulled out his laptop and turned on the pilot of Fraggle Rock. That's the moment he won me over (untiiiiiil he ended up being a d*ck). But yeah, liking Muppets is now a must in guys I like, or at least appreciating them, and I've always tended to like nerdier guys, seeing as I generally would rather be with someone who shares at least some of my interests.

The view of the Muppets as "kid stuff" baffles me. I'm always thinking, "Did you ever WATCH the show? it was NOT aimed at kids!"
You cannot believe how many times I've had to explain this to people. I've said the phrase "Try watching the Muppet Show. You'll see it's not aimed at kids" so many times.

So here's a serious question for you all: is it better to go with the flow, and see what comes downriver to you in terms of possible relationships, or is it better to seek them out -- not in a sense of desperation, just exploration! -- where one feels compatible partners might possibly be found? Or IS there such a place? :smile:
I honestly think both options work, depending on the person. A lot of people just sit back and wait for something to fall in their laps, and sometimes it does. But it also doesn't hurt to keep an eye open and maybe go out to try to meet someone. I think there are plenty of places for compatible partners to be found, depending on location/interests.

robodog

Reaction score
You're right RedPiggy, it DOES drive everyone nuts when I tell them I'm not interested in relationships. When I tell people that the idea of sex repulses me I usually get some bullcrap like "You only say that because you've never had it"
Well I haven't really had a sheltered life. I know what it entails and I'm smart enough to know whether it interests me or not. It doesn't. I don't care what it's supposed to feel like or be like. The idea of sex doesn't do much for you when you hate being touched.

I don't know many people, I do most of my communicating on internet messageboards like this one. Otherwise I keep to myself. I don't socialize.
Even if I did if anyone had a problem with me liking the Muppets or anything else I like that'd be their problem, not mine. Let them think Muppets are childish if they want. The Muppets are a heck of a lot more clever than half the crap that passes for entertainment today. Muppets are childish? People say that? I wonder what their basis for comparison is? Childish? Compared to what? The soulless reality shows that clutter the airwaves? Maybe the cookie cutter cop shows that seem to be on when the reality shows aren't? No imagination, no creativity, it's just a sea of mindless crap. The reality shows are more childish than the Muppets ever were. Those things showcase the very worst of humanity. People stabbing other people in the back or degrading themselves in other ways. And for what? Money. Most reality show contestants would probably sell their souls if they thought they'd make a buck. But this is what passes for entertainment? This is what's in? This is what mature people watch? Give me the Muppets anyday. There's more heart and soul in one Muppet production than all of prime time TV these days. If someone wants to think I'm strange for liking the Muppets, or cartoons or toys or Harry Potter they can go right ahead. Because at least this stuff is creative. This stuff matters.

beaker

Reaction score
When he talks about how, at the first table read, when Kermit read his first line and he just broke down crying? My heart swells. I used to get infatuated with celebrities/actors all the time growing up, since guys never gave me the time of day so it was just easier to fall in love with the unattainable (not to mention it hurt a lot less). Now that I've actually had a few romantic endeavors I haven't crushed on celebrities much, but man, Jason Segel. Ten years older than me my foot, I do not care, I would climb mountains for that man.
It is amazing how true fans made this thing. I thought itd either be Thatcher again(nothing bad against him, in fact I love most his muppet work...just new blood is good) or some hired job and thats it(ie MFS' director)
But Segel and Bobbins...Bobbins especially knows his stuff. Segel has the heart, Bobbins has the deep knowledge of TMS. Perfect team.

Segel's table read reminds me of when I got to see Kermit in person up close at Muppetfest...very surreal indeed. But yeah, I like how more and more its genuinely nice guys like Segel getting a lot of the spotlight other than the typical "hunky badboys"

Kristen Schaal is adorable. I wish she was in more things. I always get excited whenever she guest corresponds on The Daily Show.
nice! I need to see more of her work. shes surpassed even zooey in my book

The last guy I was sort of seeing? I slept over at his place once and when we were eating breakfast the next morning, he pulled out his laptop and turned on the pilot of Fraggle Rock. That's the moment he won me over (untiiiiiil he ended up being a d*ck).
man, Id swoon so hard if a girl i was seeing was into fraggle rock. I never had a henson/muppet related moment or conversation with the few people ive kind of dated. I have virtually every JHC production in existence on dvd/dvdr and vhs, but girls I dated rather would curl up to Miyazaki(which I also love, but still)

But yeah, liking Muppets is now a must in guys I like, or at least appreciating them, and I've always tended to like nerdier guys, seeing as I generally would rather be with someone who shares at least some of my interests.
Heh, my good friend Sarah(shes only like 22 I think) told me the other day that she's done dating "bros" and is only going to be dating guys into nerd stuff and is down with the muppets. so last night she convinced her new bf to see the new film, and he actually liked it. Im glad girls are into nerd guys now...for years there really were not that many girl gamer/nerd types, least as apparent as now or when I go to conventions. And especially the advent of forums and the internet. Geek world was mostly a sausage fest

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I tell people that the idea of sex repulses me I usually get some bullcrap like "You only say that because you've never had it"
People say that when they get defensive about their own life, heh. :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
robodog said:
I wonder what their basis for comparison is?
Phrasing it that way just gave me a big ol' fangirl sigh. :big_grin:
beaker said:
I have virtually every JHC production in existence on dvd/dvdr and vhs, but girls I dated rather would curl up to Miyazaki(which I also love, but still)
My dream: if Labyrinth is given a sequel or reboot, get Miyazaki. Heck, we practically got a Jareth cameo in Howl. He gets my vote. :smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
Meh, some people are simply asexual...and that's okay, it's all part of the spectrum. Hope you never feel like people are pushing you into relationships, especially casual ones, robodog.

Agree strongly with you about people having zero taste...but I don't think people in general would watch the crap that passes for entertaiment if they had better alternatives. Okay...MOST of them...I have actually met some folks who were content to rust in the mud of the Vast Wasteland. Steve Jobs said people don't know what they want until you give it to them, and I think in many cases that's true. The mass of reviews I've seen already for "The Muppets" -- and the cheers in studio audiences, which did NOT sound prompted!-- give me hope that American peoplekind have not been thoroughly lost to malt-o-meal brain uncandy as the network and studio execs seem to rely on. Yay!!!

Hey Beaker...completely diggin' your new avatar! Goggles!
-----------------------