MC Community: Where is it going?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some really good things have been in development for awhile. Stay tuned...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
- I'd like to see the Muppetcast featured a bit more or at least promoted on the Muppet Central main site. Whether that be a banner, or possibly have Steve do a 15 or 30 minute monthly Muppetcast Mini-Episode that could be streamed off the MC home page, or rotated on MC Radio, and just rundown generally whats happenin in the world of Muppets/Henson, merchandsise releases etc. I think it would prove to be a good association like the Newsflash has been.
I love that idea of a stream on MC Radio! That's really awesome and would be a very awesome, quick thing to do. :big_grin:

I actually agree with everything there, Luke, well said!

Some really good things have been in development for awhile. Stay tuned...
And THAT is very, very good to hear, Phil! Thanks so much!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Apologize for that little snafu with giving out contact info. Glad to see the place is running smoother now that something's been put in place to stop the constant spammer registrations we had since October 2008 started. Not sure what'll happen in November, but I have my hopes that people here will behave in a mostly Muppety manner.

*Fires :zany: at Prawny, Brittney at Luke and Greenwood at Snowths.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been back now for nearly a year, and here's my take on what the MC community has been like during this time...

It would seem to me that the community in on what some would call an emotional roller coaster, because it seems like there's periods where the entire community has its ups and high points, then there's periods where it's like the entire community is bitter and resentful.

Since my initial joining of this community in August of 2003, I didn't really start becoming an active part until about 2005 or so, but from my perspective, MC has virtually been THE place to be, not only as a Muppet fan, but for a cool little hangout from at least 2003 to about 2008... I think a lot of people would agree that 2008 is when things around here really started to go downhill, and it seems like since then, at times, the community has tried to pick itself up (this thread is a big example of that very thing), but then no sooner does that happen, and it's like the forum goes to pot again; I can't really give a solid opinion on what the community has been like from November 2008 to the summer of 2009, but since then, as I've said, there's been up and down periods. The biggest down period I can think of during this time was last September's little snafu over the sudden thread closure spree that annoyed a lot of people so much that people were PUBLICALLY pleading for a stop to the thread closures. Naturally, the holidays (October through February), things seemed a little more cheery around here, and for a while, it looked almost as if MC was getting back to normal (or as normal as normal can be around here), but it seems like since March or so, the community has really gone downhill again; the sad thing is, I've noticed a lot more people who used to be regulars and predominately active have been disappearing lately, and whenever I talk with them, they too cite the state of affairs with the community, and the "high school drama"-esque atmosphere as to what's driving them away from here. I partially agree with that, as I've said for years, cliques have always been a bit of a problem here at MC, but from my standpoint, I don't think cliques are really the main problem with the community at the moment, but rather, general hostility... almost as if the community itself has been split into two sides, like the Hatfields and the McCoys (or the Hatfulls and the Floyds if you live in Missouri).

I really don't know what ALL it's going to take to return MC back to "normal", I could see a few improvements that could be done, but I don't think any number of improvements would help restore order PERMANENTLY around here... in my opinion, I think after all is said and done, the MC community will now, and forever more be a roller coaster of ups and downs, but right now, it seems like it's 2008 all over again, and quite frankly, I think I too need a break from all the madness around here.

Luke

Reaction score
Since my initial joining of this community in August of 2003, I didn't really start becoming an active part until about 2005 or so, but from my perspective, MC has virtually been THE place to be, not only as a Muppet fan, but for a cool little hangout from at least 2003 to about 2008... I think a lot of people would agree that 2008 is when things around here really started to go downhill, and it seems like since then, at times, the community has tried to pick itself up.
To be very honest, if you saw around 2000-2003 you definitely wouldn't think it started to go downhill in 2008, lol. Was like war at times, lol. I don't think it is that bad now, i do see the high school drama stuff though and i'm mixed about it. If its meant to be a non cliquey/eletist site then everybody is welcome and the problem with that is where early Muppet Central was petty much ALL a bit older, more serious Muppet "buffs", now its mainly a lot of much younger Muppet fans who come here for the games and the fan fic, kinda mixed in with a few of the original more hardcore fans. It's all cool, except each group obviously is here for different things, one who probabaly visits daily for fun stuff, and the other who stops by to find out Muppety news and knowledge, and if you come here expecting that and find tons of game threads it can get irrirating, and then you have the younger members falling out sometimes which is to be expected cos they are well ... younger. It's very hard to keep a happy balance here, lol. I think the way Muppet Central used to be, getting people involved and working on things for the site like reviews and stuff, if they are good quality (kinda like what Ryan has done with the Muppet Mindset) helps people mix together and gives them a common goal, plus we used to have a daily chat which encouraged people to interact on a more personal level than just forum posts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be very honest, if you saw around 2000-2003 you definitely wouldn't think it started to go downhill in 2008, lol.
You got me there Luke; and I'm sure there was probably a fair share of problems and issues that arose in the pre-vBulletin days, but again, I was just commentating on my personal experiences with the community over the years I've been here and been active.

Matter of fact, speaking of hostilities, I can see that the hostility around here as increased to some epic proportions in just these past few days.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I agree about the hostility Snowth. It saddens me. :frown:

I've always tried to be a friendly person since the day I first joined here and it was such a happy place to hang around and meet people. But I've noticed the slowly growing tensions and I've been attacked a little bit by some of it on occasion.
As much as I hate to I have to agree with Kevin's recommendation to put people you cannot harmonize with on the ignore list. Even though I hate to do it, for I really do like everybody here, I have started to follow this suggestion. It's better to not get involved than become caught up in a fight.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I tend not to keep people on ignore on a permanent basis. I really only do it temporarily because there were some major issues and I just got tired of dealing with it for awhile. I can see "cliques", though I try to interact with everyone. Sometimes, though, things just don't gel and I can't make it happen. I can count on one hand the number of people I can talk to privately. I don't even need a full hand. Others just seem to want to talk only if they want stuff. I get tired of being asked to contribute without getting much in return, particularly if it's something like story ideas or something and I'm not even credited. I want someone I can have an actual conversation with occasionally. My new work schedule means I can't hang here as often as I usually do when I'm unemployed, LOL, but when 90% of my private messages are requests, it gets depressing. I feel like Mokey in a sea of Begoonies (for those who don't get it, Begoony was a rabbit-like creature who kept demanding stuff from Mokey until she shrank to Doozer size because he wasn't giving anything back to her).

dmoss

Reaction score
I'm totally surprised to hear that there are feelings like that...I've not noticed anything other than a member here or there who has to be right. Other than that, I'm kind of lost on what the big issue is, unless there's a board I'm not seeing... :stick_out_tongue:

If anybody could give me the heads-up as to what the major problem, I'd kind of like to know. :embarrassed: