1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Mary Louise, Feb 16, 2011.

1. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

I noticed that on the Helen Reddy episode, in the recording studio, zoot is actually playing the flute, instead of the sax.
  2. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

I just caught a small something in MCC. During Bless Us All, Piggy briefly switches to a live left hand to visibly move a candle.
    miss kermie likes this.
  3. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

I just finished watching It's a Very Merry Muppets Christmas Movie on DVD, and it suddenly dawned upon me:

Disney's The Muppets (2011) and IaVMMCM have very similar storylines: The Muppets are trying to save the theater, and the Muppet Theater is in jeopardy of falling into the hands of greedy business tycoons (Rachel Bitterman and Tex Richman); Kermit feels like they gave it their best shot, but they ended up short, only to be rescued by a sudden climactic plot twist, and they still manage to stick together no matter what happens to the theater, since their friendships are apparently priceless.

Aside from the Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life elements, it seems like TM is almost like a generic re-make of IaVMMCM, which means that TM seems to break the fourth wall in spoofing the story line of an earlier Muppets film, and IaVMMCM spoofs the Christmas pop culture.....

http://www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Similarities_between_It's_a_Very_Merry_Muppet_Christmas_Movie_and_The_Muppets has more info on the side-by-side comparison of the two films....
  4. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

I was watching A Muppet Family Christmas yesterday, and I noticed that one of the chickens carries one of the rats out of the kitchen right before Robin and Kermit sing Jingle Bells.
  5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Actually, the rat carries the chicken out.

Wait a sec, you watched MFC yesterday? What a coincidence! So did I.
  6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that's really interesting. I'll have to look out for that in my next viewing of the movie.
  7. TheWeirdoGirl

Huh... It looks like chicken carries the rat. But it might just look like that because the chicken is bigger.

Cool! MFC is great, probably one of my top five favorite Muppet productions ever.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  8. snichols1973

Was this on cable/TV or DVD?
  9. Mo Frackle

Probably not TV. I doubt we'll be seeing it again on TV anytime soon.

Incidentally, I watched the uncut version yesterday (with the original commercials).

There's a really fun bit during a break where Kermit (wearing his Christmas vest, and in front on the Christmas tree in Ma Bear's house) tells us that "A Muppet Family Christmas will return in a moment". Behind him, Fozzie plays with a few puppets.

Also, what was normally scheduled to air on ABC back in '87 on the night this premiered were "Perfect Strangers" and "Head of the Class".
  10. TheWeirdoGirl

Um, YouTube actually. :p One of these days, I'm going to get it on DVD.
  11. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I noticed that at the end of Kris Kristofferson's first number on the Muppet Show, Animal is thrashing his drum kit so hard that the cymbals fall off the stands! As a drummer, I know that this is physically impossible, so that scene made me laugh. The same thing happens in the 1974 "Sex and Violence" pilot when Dr. Teeth & the EM play "Love Ya to Death." Mind you, we don't SEE Animal's cymbals fall, but the camera pans out to show Animal staring in shock at where they should have been. hahahah
    Auberoun likes this.
  12. Auberoun

Auberoun Member

Having played several years myself, I can only remember one time when I was playing hard enough to knock a cymbal down in the sleeve. (but it was still attached to the stand.) And, it was a total fluke, since I didn't have the wingnut tight enough it slowly worked its way down from the rocking of the set, and me hitting it. LOL. Good call. I love how many musical jokes are in TMS, you just have to look for them.
    cjd874 likes this.
  13. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Watching the Pearl Bailey episode of the Muppet Show, I just noticed how very strangely energetic Zoot seems during the "My Soul is a Witness" number. Hmm...
    miss kermie and cjd874 like this.
  14. Mo Frackle

Maybe Dave wasn't performing him.
  15. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I guess gospel songs wake up the souls of even sleepy, passive musicians? :cool:
    miss kermie likes this.
  16. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Two things I just noticed re-watching The Muppets:

When Walter wakes up from his nightmare, and Gary exposits that he's drenched in sweat, there is actually a wet spot on his pillow.

The subtitles credit Jerry Nelson's Veterinarian's Hospital and Pigs in Space announcements to Bob Hope.
  17. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

:oops: OOPS. Do you mean foreign language subtitles or the credits? I don't see how subtitles could give Bob the credit instead of Jerry. :o
  18. snichols1973

During the English CC subtitles, the following sound clip sequence occurs:

:): It's the Muppet show, with our special guest star, Mr. Bob Hope!
    [Jerry Nelson in background mistakenly credited as Bob Hope]: Time once again for Veterinarian's Hospital, the continuing story of....
    [background voice continues]: And now, Pigs In Spa-a-ce!

One of the clips featured Bob Hope as the Muppets' guest, and from there the vocal credit details just seemed to accidentally overlap, resulting in the mix-up......
  19. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

OK, I understand. I have seen The Muppets, but not with subtitles. I was just a bit confused. Thanks for clearing that up!
  20. snichols1973

P.S. The subtitles are found on the DVD version, not in the theatrical film....