Little things we've noticed

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Music videos are much different now than they were in the 80's. A 10 minute video wasn't uncommon back then. They used to tell simplified stories that set a mood without being burdened with the task of developing entire worlds. They stylishly created the elements that were needed and pieced the tales together in record time. We're used to this style now, but it was akin to blitz/quick-cut editing back in the late 80's. :jim:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I watch music videos from the 1980s a lot more than videos from later. While I agree some do feel like they tell stories (Take on Me, Beat It, I Promise You, Love is a Battlefield, maybe Can't Fight This Feeling), it seems to me like they are more about quick cutting and special effects. And I had no idea of 10-minute music videos existing back then. Every '80s music video I've seen on YouTube seems to last under 5 minutes.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I watch music videos from the 1980s a lot more than videos from later. While I agree some do feel like they tell stories (Take on Me, Beat It, I Promise You, Love is a Battlefield, maybe Can't Fight This Feeling), it seems to me like they are more about quick cutting and special effects. And I had no idea of 10-minute music videos existing back then. Every '80s music video I've seen on YouTube seems to last under 5 minutes.
You Tube portrays an abbreviated version of music video history. One that depends on the user's taste rather than MTV's programmed lineup that included many artists. MTV was a much different place in the 80's. I'm part of that generation when it kind of was our You Tube. While most videos were about 3-5 minutes, "Thriller" length videos were often peppered into the mix.

I'm convinced that Jim was referring to his creating visual and thematic vignettes in order to fit traditionally larger stories into the 2o minute format. This sort of creative device was most common in commercials and music videos (i.e. music commercials) at the time the Henson Hour was conceived. I don't think the intention was to have Labyrinth-style songs and dances or to update the tales with a modern flare. Of course, this is just my take. I was a kid when MTV hit it big and a high-schooler when the Jim Henson Hour was part of the NBC lineup.

I think Jim was speaking in more of an abstract rather than the literal interpretation. :wink:

JustinHoskie

Reaction score
It's not really a visual thing, but it took me a few viewings, and a pair of headphones, to notice it. During "Life's a Happy Song", if you listen, Walter screams "Not again!" when Gary accidentally launches him off the seesaw. (Which leads to the question "If this has happened multiple times before, why does he get back on it?" :skeptical: )

Misskermie

Reaction score
In the Muppets, they say the contract includes the rights to the studios, and I don't remember if they mentioned the theatre included, but if he did, what happened to the contract in IAVMMCM that said the theatre can never be torn down or changed?

When explaining the plot point, Statler and Waldorf said the Muppets signed a contract 30 years ago, even though it was more. Then it in the menu, Waldorf said he hasn't liked the Muppets for 40 years, why start? Is it just me, or is he getting too old?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
During the "Life's a Happy Song" number, in the shot of Walter sitting on a bench, did anybody notice what the extras were doing?

JustinHoskie

Reaction score
During the "Life's a Happy Song" number, in the shot of Walter sitting on a bench, did anybody notice what the extras were doing?
HA! It looks like they're all resting, stretching, and warming-up for the rest of the dance number! :smile:

mo

Reaction score
jim henson twice in the muppets :smile:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
In the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video, during the bit where Johnny and Sal are singing "ooh yeah", one can clearly hear Johnny under all of the loud chorus singing. And is it just me, or can one also faintly hear Sal? Obviously, Brian Henson wasn't able to perform Sal for this, so it sounds like somebody else is doing Sal.

Misskermie

Reaction score
In the Muppets, they need 1 million dollars to save the theatre, but if Piggy wsa a fashion editor, and Gonzo was a plumbing magnate, why didn't they just pay it off?