Kid's Programming that Makes You Want to Question Life Itself

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Marble Didymus said:
"A LOT of the old 80's cartoons were corn-city."

Even the corniest of the corny cannot touch the unmeasureably corny and sappy crap they air today.
Aw, I like sap! :stick_out_tongue: But there aren't too many new cartoons I find too heart-warming. I have to admit that I did get sucked into Pokemon - I wish I had a Pikachu! :flirt: - but I'll be the first to say that that show is corny. I like the corny parts, though, because they're fun to laugh at! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
I cannot stand Pokemon. I tried to watch back when it was on syndication, before it was an insanely huge hit. But once it came on Kid's WB, and ate up the schedual, cancelling Pinky and the Brain, one of the greatest shows ever, that's when I got MAAAAD!!!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Ah, now overtaking "Pinky and the Brain," now that's just wrong. :grouchy:
Erin

Kamit

Reaction score
The New TMNT is much better than the 80's one, ......the characters designs and plots, and even writing is far superior.
And they have good taste in quotes. For instance did anyone see the ep (I think it was in the 3 or forth episode) where Mikey is doing the intro for the episode and says:

"As a very wise frog once said, "It's not that easy bein' green." :smile:

You've got that right Michealangelo! Long Live TMNT 2K3!

Drtooth

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
4 words - Rubik the Amazing Cube. :stick_out_tongue:
Ugh... can't even explain the logic behind that! Popular, Schmopular...

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Finally just caught up with this thread.

Cory, my buddy, I agree with most of the shows that you listed as being complete junk, but I have to take issue with your classification of VeggieTales in the same category. One minute you seem to take issue with them supposedly forcing a reactionary agenda down people's throats, the next you're noting that there was hardly any specific Christian content in it at all. So I'm not sure what your objection is. I also find it a funny, inventive series with good characters and memorable music. And while they take what they believe very seriously, they don't take THEMSELVES very seriously. And that, I think, is all the difference. Larry's Silly Songs (by design) are simply silly in nature; no religious angle to them at all. Why? For the same reason that some of Ernie and Bert's segments weren't educational at all. It's all about making a good show.

I want my kids to grow up everything I've learned and believe to be true. What parent doesn't want that for their child? What parent shouldn't be allowed to instruct their kid as they see best? My kids (when I have them) will be getting a Christian education, and VeggieTales will be a part of their viewing diet. And if Jamie and others can also get something out of it for themselves, all the better.

If you really want to see religious entertainment that doesn't hold up very well, take a real hard, honest look at "Davey and Goliath." This show is well-loved among even non-Christian animation fans because we all grew up with it. But the stories are always very preachy and there's virtually no humor. That's what you're accusing VeggieTales of, but VeggieTales is the exact opposite of that.

In fact -- in terms of the broader issue, about animation being much worse than it used to be -- I think that's also a product of us looking at the past with nostalgiac eyes. Sure, we had some great stuff growing up, but we also had a lot of garbage. A LOT of garbage. Remember all those multiple incarnations of Scooby-Doo (from Scrappy on)? Remember Turbo Teen? (Probably not, and there's good reason for it.) Meanwhile, nowadays we have quality shows like Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Fairly Oddparents, and Time Squad. Not to mention cartoons for adults like The Simpsons and the Adult Swim block on the Cartoon Network. Plus we have all the great shows from the past in reruns, plus we have those same classics rolling out on DVD collector's editions for us. Frankly, I can't think of a BETTER time to be an animation fan.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Thanks for sharing yours.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I admit it. I can't resist the Veggie Tales movies once they get going. Sure, they have a religious foundation, but who cares? It offers ideas rather than force them. The lessons and stories do not approach controversial ground. They are filled with general morals that every child should learn.

I cringe anytime someone says the word Christian. It has turned into a hot-button term that is used to support prejudice and a particular political agenda against anyone different. I've heard people use Christian values to support arguments against everything from interracial marriage to murder of those who don't share the same values. Those are more extreme examples of course, but they are not foreign to many people. I guess the Christians need better PR or to stand up against this extremist faction. You know, the people who picketed the funeral of Mathew Sheppard for no other reason than to inform everyone that they believe he's burning in H-E- “double hockey sticks”. This is what the world sees, so I can see Cory's argument. The only people we see speak out on Christian issues are Pat Robertson, Ralph Reed and Jerry Fallwell and nobody in power has condemned such terrible behavior.

I digress. Veggie Tales has some good-natured values. If I had kids, I'd share it with them. I'd share the Bible with them too (of course with the appropriate disclaimers). I do find it sad that Christianity has become such a dirty word, but it's up to the people who follow the religion to set the record straight. I understand the spirit of the religion and I understand the anger and reaction to it. :cool:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Christianity as practiced by the majority of people and pastors is much different than the wild extremism seen on TV. The problem is, that's what attracts attention. People who go to church every week and love their neighbors don't make for good TV. A group of lunatics picketing someone's funeral does make for good TV.

Robertson and Falwell have done some good in their day. It's just a shame that they just seem to keep sticking their foot in their mouth over the past few years. It's not that no one in power is willing to speak up against this--it's that these people are the only ones in power at the moment ("power" in this sense meaning celebrity and national exposure on TV). Getting the media attention and spotlight is a difficult thing to do. Hopefully, a more compassionate Christian apologist will be able to take center stage one day.