Kid's Programming that Makes You Want to Question Life Itself

FellowWLover

Reaction score
She married him, and is living in the Bronx, with Patricia Arquette as her neighbor. Naturally they got a bit of mileage out of how Will et al won't haul all the way to the Bronx to visit her. I thought it was funny. Her husband wasn't really in the last episode much. Bet they don't need him, although he is pretty nice for the straight gals in the audience. Lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL! When I lived in New York, I wouldn't go to the Bronx either. Had lots of friends in Brooklyn and they were just SOL. Kind of my rule - if it takes more than 20 minutes to walk there, I aint goin. :smile: Kind of creepy down there too.

Didn't notice that the marriage lasted. It's really kind of weird the writers would do that. Harry Connick Jr. is her husband, right?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thought I'd revive this thread...

Personally, Barney and Telitubbies, dispite the fact they are the worst shows on telivision (A medium that embraces Elimidate, Living it Up with Kelly and Jack, and the Osbornes), Power Rangers will go down in history as telivised evil. It was on death's door until DIsney bought them!

Appartently this show is really big with preschoolers and 5 year olds, yet the rating is TV Y7.... I mean, Pokemon and Yugioh I can actually for a blind moment understand, but some lame Japanese Ultraman carbon copy from the 70's that took forever to get on American TV (even our worst stuff is better than that).

It's funny... I was reading that this show almost didn't make it to air, but some Child psycologist had a talk with the president of the network and told them kids need the fantasy...

The Child Psycologists ALSO wanted Sesame Street to Drop Don Music for banging his head on the piano. Who's side are they on? The quality kid's chow that educates youngins with music, whimsy, and humor, or basically a 30 minute toy commercial that encourages kids to act it (violence) out at home?

I'll never get why this stuff is popular.

But I detest Beyblade. I mean, it is the cheapest of the cheap kiddy animes out there. Yugioh and Pokemon are sophisticated fare compaired with this carbon copy, cookie cutter brainwashing cartoon terrorism....

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I cannot believe Power Rangers is still on the air. Wow... I swear, that must be about the corniest show that was ever on TV. I remember my theology teacher in ninth grade talking about how parents shouldn't let their kids watch it and everything. I don't think it's *evil*, really, it's just extraordinarily poorly done. Watching it was a rather painful experience, even back when they had Billy, the cute nerdy Blue Ranger. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Marble Didymus

Reaction score
I have a pronbem with the gay guy from Will and Grace. I'm gay to some extent (I swing both ways actually), and I know gay people, and not a single one of them act like him. And it's not just him, everytime there is a gay person on a show, they act like that. It makes me sick, and it makes the gay communtiy sick. It's like the gay parade. It's just making things worse.

It's kind of like furs. The media only looks at the freaks, not the normal ones.

As for childrens programming, every child show is preachy and overly educational. The FCC pretty much requires it. Yeah, it sickens me, but were stuck with it, and it's only going to get worse.

I miss the shows I watched when I was little in the late 80's and early 90's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Power Rangers, I gotta say, very evil... some evil force is keeping it alive (Ack..ahem.. Disney!)

It probably would have died sooner if the guy who created (basically found out that the international copywrite laws let him steal footage from the Japanese show) owned the Fox Kid's Network... Thank God the Fox Box's only live action show died halfway through the first season... Long live TMNT and Funky Cops!

I mean, if PR is still big in Japan (I'm going to say, life is so stressful over their, some people have to be a little insane), but mainly because they like their giant monster robot attack operas, and leave it at that.

I have a pronbem with the gay guy from Will and Grace. I'm gay to some extent (I swing both ways actually), and I know gay people, and not a single one of them act like him. And it's not just him, everytime there is a gay person on a show, they act like that. It makes me sick, and it makes the gay communtiy sick ...It's kind of like furs. The media only looks at the freaks, not the normal ones.
I feel the same way, but every time I say that everyone flames the heck out of me!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Marble Didymus said:
I have a pronbem with the gay guy from Will and Grace. I'm gay to some extent (I swing both ways actually), and I know gay people, and not a single one of them act like him. And it's not just him, everytime there is a gay person on a show, they act like that. It makes me sick, and it makes the gay communtiy sick. It's like the gay parade. It's just making things worse.

It's kind of like furs. The media only looks at the freaks, not the normal ones.

As for childrens programming, every child show is preachy and overly educational. The FCC pretty much requires it. Yeah, it sickens me, but were stuck with it, and it's only going to get worse.

Having lived in New York, living in San Francisco for the better part of a decade and being out for the past 13 years I'd say that this world is made up of people of ALL sorts including Wills and Jacks. The characters balance out one another. Will and Grace is embraced my America. I'd say that's a pretty positive thing. The point is not to dictate how others should act. Just let them be who they are and do what they do. If you don't want to join in, that's your prerogative.

If you've suffered a fraction of the prejudice and opposition many of my friends have, you'd know why there is a need to cut loose once a year and have a parade. I don't usually join in but have no problem with it. You just don't know what a cool feeling it is to see rainbow flags wave all throughout the city for a month. There is a widespread agenda by some conservatives and religious zealots to fling mud at gays through lies and distortions. I'm not certain if you've actually seen a parade, but they are more about love and acceptance. The few more provocative incidents you may have seen on the news represent only a small fraction of the overall parade. It's a celebration of life, love and acceptance.

There are generations of people before me that went through a lot for me to have the rights I do now and my generation is still fighting for equality (not special treatment as the concretive and religious pundits lead the country to believe). It will all happen in time.

In my experience, many of those not comfortable with the more flamboyant aspects of gay life usually have more internal struggles with their own self-image. Different strokes for different folks. There are things people do - straight or gay, that I don't personally approve of, but it's not for me to make that call for other people. To use a quote from the Muppets Take Manhattan that is often thrown around the forum, “Peoples is peoples.” :smile:

Kamit

Reaction score
I think we all do - it was a wonderful part of our childhood. However, one thing we have to remember is that we are looking back at a lot of those old shows through the veil of nostalgia and sentimentality. A LOT of the old 80's cartoons were corn-city.

My friends and I went had a "Saturday Morning Cartoon Night" last year where we went to the video store and rented a bunch of old cartoons. Most of them were amazingly cheesy and the only reason we managed to sit through them was because we remembered how much we liked them as kids. My sister couldn't stand to sit through He-Man or Thundercats because she was a touch too young to remember them the first time around. And my other friend, who was too old to have watched them in the 80's, couldn't stand it either.

That being said, there are a bunch of great 80's cartoons (like Muppet Babies) and there are some great new 2003 cartoons. The new TMNT is amazing (and dare I say, better than the 80's one). So it all depends (Power Rangers, however, should just give up already. How many incarnations have they gone through? 8? 10? 12? Saban is evil)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kamit said:
That being said, there are a bunch of great 80's cartoons (like Muppet Babies) and there are some great new 2003 cartoons. The new TMNT is amazing (and dare I say, better than the 80's one). So it all depends (Power Rangers, however, should just give up already. How many incarnations have they gone through? 8? 10? 12? Saban is evil)
I completely agree with that entire statement...

The New TMNT is much better than the 80's one, and it's nice to find people who believe me. After Napoleon Bonafrog, and the weird Mutants, the show took a nose dive in quality, and the final sesaon on CBS was just dreadful. L still love it, but the characters designs and plots, and even writing is far superior. (I especially loved one scene, satirizing the original in which Mike gives out a Tarzan yell and then says, "At least it wasn't 'Kowabunga'")

But PR is pretty much dead, but the five year olds love it (it's fairly new to them, at least) And if Disney didn't get those shows after purchasing ailing Fox Family (In it's first year they had great classics like Heathcliff, Eek the Cat and the new, at the time, super hero satire Walter Melon... I was the only one that liked it, but then they aired the same Fox Kids Bull), they would have been dead in the water, as 4Kids pretty much owns the Fox children's programming now (as much as people other than me may Cringe at the thought of Kirby and Muscle 2, it beats a million Digimon ripoffs)

Marble Didymus

Reaction score
"A LOT of the old 80's cartoons were corn-city."

Even the corniest of the corny cannot touch the unmeasureably corny and sappy crap they air today.