I think it time for me to really drop this facade and say maybe disney is best...

Movies205

Reaction score
I always thought Disney as an evil company of sorts... but maybe disney is rite for the muppets. I like most of all there movies, thought Muppet Treasure Island and Christmas Carol were excellent along with Muppet 3d vision. And though they make sequals to all these movies, I got say there not half bad... Well most of them aren't really that bad... Plus they don't ruin the classics they only make em better. So after considering it all, maybe Disney is best... but IMO is someone should just buy JHC and let them do there stuff without interference... So at the end of the day, I got say no matter who owns the muppets will always be the Muppets and nothing will change that...

foofoocakes

Reaction score
NO DISNEY NO

Disney movies are all so stiff and scripted! They would not allow general muppet mayhem and insanity. These are the things that make the caracters come alive and be who they are. Disney might be o.k. for the seseme charaters but not the rest of the muppets.
Somday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The poets, the dreamers and me.

ScottMonster

Reaction score
If I recall, one of the last things Jim Henson made clear shortly before his death was that he was not enthusiastic about the idea of Disney owning ANY of the muppets. I forget exactly what his reasons were, but he made his views well known when it looked like an option for JHC.

And could we really trust a company that's been known to sneak naughty messages into kid's movies -- like those smoke clouds that spelled out a certain three letter word in "Aladdin" or how some guy in "The Little Mermaid" whispered almost inaudibly that "good little girls take..."

...OK I'd better stop. There might be young kids here reading this who aren't supposed to even KNOW about stuff like that till they're at least 13, right?:big_grin::big_grin:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottMonster

And could we really trust a company that's been known to sneak naughty messages into kid's movies -- like those smoke clouds that spelled out a certain three letter word in "Aladdin" or how some guy in "The Little Mermaid" whispered almost inaudibly that "good little girls take..."

i thought those were both in aladdin....

Sarah

well at least i've heard...i won't believe it until i see it myself, but i ain't going to sit there and look for it!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottMonster
If I recall, one of the last things Jim Henson made clear shortly before his death was that he was not enthusiastic about the idea of Disney owning ANY of the muppets. I forget exactly what his reasons were, but he made his views well known when it looked like an option for JHC.

...OK I'd better stop. There might be young kids here reading this who aren't supposed to even KNOW about stuff like that till they're at least 13, right?:big_grin::big_grin:
A lot is not known about about such things as deicison making. According to the Bernie Brilstein book, JH was in informal talks to *BUY* Disney in 1980...pre Eisner, at a time when JHC was at the top(Muppet Show was the biggest show ever, Muppet Movie succeed at the box office, and Sesame Street was king) and Disney was not doing to well.

Imagine what would have happened had JHC bought Disney?
All this talk about Disney buying JHC...youw ont read about this little nugget in any Jim Hill article!

As for subliminal messages...blame the individual artists with a grudge, not Disney. I usually can be seen making fun of Disney, but this issue is so lame. Yes, there is intentional sublinal stuff...but its because a particulair artists is trying to be mischievious or has a grudge, and makes it slip past the company. I think Disney goes to good measures to make sure this doesnt happen anymore.

Luke

Reaction score
Thats right Cory, Jim wanted to buy Disney in 1980 and although it didn't go the far (just informal talks) if it had happened things would be way different now.

There's another thing - for all these people who don't think Jim wanted Disney to own the Muppets - FALSE !!!! It's not all that well known but there were TWO occasions when a Henson/Disney merger was discussed, not one. Two years before the actual Disney talks we all know about the Muppets weren't doing so hot and Jim Henson offered that Disney buy the company. He thought that even though the brand wasn't doing well and they had little in productionthe 'Muppet' reputation would mean Disney might offer a lot of money. In fact his thinking was false and Eisner turned him down flat - they weren't interested. Then two years later when the Muppets were doing better Henson spoke to them again and the deal we know about was put on the table. Both times it was Henson who approached Disney to buy the company, not the other way around, and when it was suggested to Jim that other studio's might be interested in a deal he turned down the suggestions flat - he wanted Disney or nothing else.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Both times it was Henson who approached Disney to buy the company, not the other way around, and when it was suggested to Jim that other studio's might be interested in a deal he turned down the suggestions flat - he wanted Disney or nothing else.
Persistent, wasn't he? :big_grin: