Here's a depressing thought....

Drtooth

Reaction score
In less than 5 years, Back to the Future 2 is supposed to take place.

And the ONLY thing they got right was the fact that the 1980's are considered retro and there's 3-D movies.

Where's my Hoverboard, Mattel? :cry:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
My brother and I like to gripe we can't have flying cars, neither, but then we remember that already-draconian driving rules would just swallow people whole ... and can you seriously trust people with 3-D driving? I can't. *shudders*

Though I have heard we're getting the shoes that tie themselves, so I guess there's progress after all, LOL.

The funny thing is, you could watch old Popular Mechanics clips, Jetsons, Lost in Space, etc, and be completely depressed that a lot of that cool stuff never really happened.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My brother and I like to gripe we can't have flying cars, neither, but then we remember that already-draconian driving rules would just swallow people whole ... and can you seriously trust people with 3-D driving? I can't. *shudders*
I dunno who said it, but Flying cars are a logistics impossibility. Not so much making them, but the zoning and air traffic regulations would keep these things from ever happening. Ever since I heard that, I just decided to let them go.

And yes, there is a lot of stuff we actually DID get no one could have predicted... though, sadly, mostly in the field of entertainment. And a Hoverboard thanks to rules and regulations would stay on store shelves a whole week before getting pulled. Especially if Mattel made it (ooooOOOOOh!)

You know what else is really depressing? We're THAT old now. We've seen the movies and are about to live to see it become an anachronistic over-exaggeration. Though, i really hope they plan something special for the 30th anniversary of the first movie/when the second one takes place.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
few months back there was something too, the date was significant with one of the movies and i know Lisa Simpsons wedding was recent too

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's an even more depressing thought that's in your wheelhouse, Toothy! This author sums things up so clearly!

Yeah... this is a very sensitive subject, and I've been saying this for YEARS and no one listened, and it also drudged me deep in the worst depression I've had since my nightmarish high school days. I'd love to expand on that, but no one would contribute anything useful, and I'd hear nothing but comments about "Why don't you contribute to the bloated world of web comics" (which are all about video games and 1980's cartoons) or "do a web animated series that doesn't stand out from the countless others" (which are all about video games and 1980's cartoons) or even better "contribute to the over flowing world of indie comics" which... I'm not going to go back into cutesy joke mode... most Pekar or the guy that did Fullmetal Alchemist. Seriously, the only time a web comic actually produced something grand was the Japanese web comic Hetalia.

But I digress. I have indeed been saying very ANGRY things about the matter for years, and like everything else, everyone can stand by and complain, but none of ANYONE in the field can stand up for any of us. Best I can do is a laxative commercial 15 years down the line? Is that how you help out other animators? I really want to see everyone who made it big in the 90's boom pool their resources together and make their own cable channel. Fill it with REAL cartoon shows and none of this.... well, i can't even pick on anything since there is NOTHING out there. Even if I can never contribute, I want to watch something that ISN'T about Super Mario on drugs or Optimus Prime dealing with AIDs.

It has become a vast wasteland for too long, and I want to see every single trust fund baby with the I.Q. of a door stop beg for change after getting fired by the stock holders for destroying television. But that's never going to happen.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just hope they were right about us making it to 2015. I hope the 2012 thing was just a wrong prediction.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing about 2012.

I don't think it will happen, and the theory has been debunked several times. YET... that very reason makes me think it could happen. I call it the "Boy who cried Wolf" paradox. As in, we've had multiple Doomsday theories and dates that have all been false alarms in the past (Y2K resulted in an expensive VHS rental of Gremlins... that was about it). But then again, how can we tell if something isn't going to be true until after it doesn't happen? We've heard so many theories and dates that turned out to be true that, theoretically, one of them actually HAS to be right.