Half of the Stairs are Missing

Convincing John

Reaction score
Is coming, is coming! Got two hands only! Is first week classes. Is new apartment. Is big shoes. Yah. Is potatoes. Peoples is peoples. Okay?

(Also--Hello, Gelfling Girl! Welcome to MC!)
Peoples is peoples and Togas is Togas. :smile: Is great story! Is wonderful story! Can't wait for next chapter with bears and chickens and things.

:wink:

Seriously, I love this story (as well as the unfinished yet awesome) other stories in your collection.

Patiently awaiting more...

Convincing John

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
My dear, beloved readers,

I am sorry to say that, due to most unfortunate circumstances, the continued posting of this tale must be suspended, regardless of any further completion of upcoming chapters, until a certain fiend has properly replied to that most delightful tale, "The Muppets' Mid-Age Crisis," written by theprawncracker, Duke of Chutney.

If, dear readers, you wish to know if sweet little Robin will survive, if Fozzie will ever overcome the guilt, how Sweetums will cope with his friend's tragedy, or the possible twists in the the Frog Family dynamics, I strongly encourage you to read and reply to the good Duke's tale, and to encourage your fellow readers to do the same, as I see no reason to specifically identify the fiend.

Until the above stated requirements are met, I wish all of you well.

Sincerely,

Her Royal Highness, the Queen of Fanfiction

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Then tell a certain prawn to get to it and give us something good to reply to. Like say finding that chalice of Queen Francine the Third, Rupert the Second, Lionel the First, etc. The fact is, liberating chickens and capturing prisoners who are porcine princesses does little but prolong the tale when these introductions could've been done earlier. What's worse, that minstreling band of Candlelight Mayhem has nary been seen since the prologue. Oh yes, and if more of this very tale isn't posted, then the reward of the man who hath plenty of peanuts shall giveth thine neighbor none, nor will you receive any cookies.

So in summation... Post more! Now!

Shriekcy,
Secretary to Mr. Castle, Bat-In-Chief.

Leyla

Reaction score
You know, Ed, you have the right not to read if you don't want to... but that was a pretty rude response right there, I must say. I'm offended on Prawnie's behalf. He writes well, and he writes what he likes, as we all do. He's one of my favourite fanfiction voices on this site, and he didn't deserve that at all, not least because I can't imagine that he would ever say that to anyone else. As a moderator, you have a responsibility to be polite to the people on this website. I'm disappointed to see something like that from you. It surprises me... as I had thought better of you.
I think you owe him an apology... think for a minute, if someone had written that to you. Writing is so personal, such an intimate part of a writer. It's always a risk to share your writing with anyone, let alone the whole universe. Personally, I'm in a place right now where I'm not sure I can do it anymore, and Prawnie has been a lifeline to me in a difficult time, so it's really upsetting to see something that would hurt him being put up in a public forum from someone who has been an amiable companion on the site.

Even moderators need to be careful of their words... perhaps... especially moderators, because words are powerful aides... and powerful weapons.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
You are gravely mistaken, Mr. Castle. It is not for you to condemn a writer to forego a carefully crafted plot, exquisitely designed to produce the most rewarding, satisfying, and well-rounded conclusion possible.

A tale is not a thing to be rushed, but a thing to be savored. Think of it as a full course meal, if you will. If you skip straight to dessert, you may briefly satisfy your sweet tooth, but soon you will be hungry again. You will find yourself skipping straight to dessert again and again, trying to sate an ever-growing addiction, only to discover that you've grown sluggish and weak and that your physique has slipped away. The wiser path is to taste and appreciate every course, letting your tastebuds dance with delight at the subtle contrasts and compliments each dish provides, so that you fully enjoy the entire journey. Then, by the time you finish dessert (which will taste just as good, if not better, than it would have if you'd skipped the rest), you will be fully satisfied and will not go hungry. Furthermore, with the proper balance of nutrition, you will maintain your energy and physique.

It is no different with a story. The climax cannot simply appear, but must be striven for. If you only want the "exciting" bits, I advise you to devote your time to bad action movies. In the meantime, I will enjoy even the tiniest details of the growth of the plot. I will delight in the tiny intricacies of character interaction. I will savor every stumbling block the characters find along the way. I will smile and giggle and laugh at every joke between here and there. I will, in short, enjoy the journey. To employ the old cliche, getting there is half the fun. If you skip the journey and just arrive, you are at most gettting only half of the fun you could be having.

Put your faith in the author. Do you trust that I will guide this tale, as far as I can, along the path it needs to take? After fourteen chapters, which you yourself have praised, this story has not even reached the main conflict yet. Am I "dragging it out," as you say, or am I giving the characters and plot the essential time and space to grow and mature? Or is that even for you to decide?

You, Mr. Castle, understand as well as anyone how essential it is for writers on this forum to receive replies from readers, be it praise, encouragement, or constructive criticism, in order for us to have the bravery we need to continue, as our own Diva of Diction has just pointed out. I know that all of us are human, and I know that I am as guilty as anyone of failing to read and reply to the courageous efforts of many writers here, but when a writer asks, I make a point of reading, and even if his or her writing is not to my particular taste, I still make every effort to be respectful.

I hereby revise the previous suspension. I will not post more of this or any story, regardless of what chapters I may complete, until a proper apology has humbly been made.

With a heavy heart and grave disappointment,

Her Royal Highness, the Queen of Fanfiction

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Heavy sigh. Guys, lemme try to clear up a few things...

1 If you viewed my previous post as condeming of Prawny's tale or anything else, I apologize as that was not my intention. Perhaps I have been spoiled by others tales...
2 Lisa, no I do not think your story is dragged out. Every chapter builds upon the previous one. Perhaps such sentiment of mine comes from farr too much a familiarity with these characters. I'm not saying that as an excuse, just to say what I'm thinking.
3 The problem I guess I have with Mid-Age is my enjoyment of it is being hindered by the promise of a backstory yet to be fully told, hinted at rather. If we had gotten the whole tale of the female frog that influenced the current law for Piggy's kingdom, then I'd be more at ease with the individual side-stories of how the characters get from point A to point B and the jokes thrown in here and there for everybody else.
4 Do not take what I said in that previous post as a personal attack, the intent for that isn't there. That's why I don't write any fics anymore. Mainly because the situational ideas don't come to me... But also, I recognize the pains one goes through to write one, as well as the feeling of insatisfaction fostered from too many similar burnt paths in prose.

If you feel I have wronged anyone, then I sincerely apologize. Dunno what else I can say other than that... So I'll just be here on the roof if you choose to accept my words of regret. :frown:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
For me, this is a drama. It is a particularly well-written one. The tone is completely 180 to another fic I tend to read. That one reads like a series of episodes of a show with a season-long arc. This one, on the other hand, reads like a singular narrative. Neither is bad. For me, the latter is like The Simpsons.

I'm kinda surprised to see some of my favorite authors engaged in melodrama. I mean no disrespect, but this reminds me of the pond scene between Piggy and Kermit in GMC. Let's enjoy each story on its own merits, if it's not too much trouble.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just sent an apology/explanation to Prawn... Again, sorry for how the post above was perceived. *Head in hands. Where's that Boober smilie when you rully need it?

Leyla

Reaction score
Aww... well, I don't think anyone was meaning to be petty or unkind in this melodrama. It was more of an issue with the wording, not the criticism. In any case, Ed dear, I apologise in return if I hurt you, as I didn't mean to. Your apology is certainly welcomed and completely accepted. I am not at all surprised to find that you didn't mean it the way it came across, and I'm absolutely sure that Prawnie will accept your message gladly. Don't feel badly, Ed; I feel badly that you feel badly. You know, of course, that we are certainly very fond of you, and also protective of our dear Prawncracker. If someone was insulting you, I expect that we would rise to your defense as well. I respect your opinion about Prawnie's writing. You are certainly allowed to have it, and defend it. I just felt the language used was harsh... but I understand that you didn't mean it unkindly, and I'm glad to be able to put aside my surprise.

This is much more the Ed darlink that we know and love, and so I thank you for your respectful apology, and I hope that you will not hold any answering offense against us.

Affectionately,
Layla

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yay, the movie can continue its regularly-scheduled programming ...