Favorite non-Henson puppet shows growing up

biblebetty

Reaction score
I remember watching dustie's tree house, and my favorite puppet was the spider, I can't remember his name but he was so cute and wore tennis shoes on all his feet. I thought it was great, does anyone remember his name.

BB

Whatever

Reaction score
Oh and of course Mr Rogers! I loved Daniel the tiger!

McFraggle

Reaction score
I would have to say "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood," "Under the Umbrella Tree," "ALF," and "Captain Kangaroo."

gfarkwort

Reaction score
The Puzzle Place
Dudley the Dragon
Tots TV
Mr. Rogers
these are all my favorite non Muppet tv shows......they should all be released on DVD........with BEHIND THE SCENES!!!!! :smile: .....that would be Awesome

dsarver

Reaction score
Mine were Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers, H.R. Pufnstuf, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Land of the Lost, anything by Sid & Marty Krofft. In my day, Saturday mornings were awesome!! :cool:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Definitey ALF and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. But how about Pinwheel? That Cuckoo Bird puppet used to freak me out. There was also another show that starred a puppet named Madame who also scared me.

Question: Was Today's Special the one with the old man security guard? He was a friendly lookin' fella with kind of a big nose? There were other puppets in this show as well, but he's the one I remember most vividly.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
Was Today's Special the one with the old man security guard? He was a friendly lookin' fella with kind of a big nose? There were other puppets in this show as well, but he's the one I remember most vividly.
Yes, Today's Special! was a Canadian childrens show about a Jeff a mannequin for a big time superstore that was brought to life each night after the store closed. Jeff, Jodie a display designer for the store, and Sam (a the puppet) who was the security guard had adventures in the store after hours with other friends (like Muffy the Mouse). It was a pretty cool show.

Here's a site with more information and pictures: http://www.parnasas.com/PopArena/Articles/special.html

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Some of my favorite (non-Henson) puppet shows growing up were:

Eureka's Castle
Under the Umbrella Tree
Today's Special
Weinerville
Mister Rogers (I liked the non-puppet parts just as much)
ZoobilieZoo (They used puppets along with their crazy animal costumes)
(and then of course there were all the Henson shows - Sesame Street, Muppet Show, Mother Goose Stories, Fraggle Rock, ect, but they don't count here)

Iokitek

Reaction score
I just remembered. I also used to watch ALF ofcourse. And I remember watching DJ Kat on Skychannel or something. He was a puppet of a cat hosting a kidsshow. In other words he just filled up the space between the cartoons.

I found another Dutch show I almost forgot wich was also about a bear named Bolke. Bolke de beer. Here's a link with a picture:
http://home.concepts.nl/~lwmkeijs/ned/bb012.htm

I found some of these old shows on DVD. Just a few episodes. But I'm going to buy them anyway for nostalgic reasons.