Favorite non-Henson puppet shows growing up

Reaction score
~...La-DE-da-DE-da, What’s the Name of that Show?~

My favorite non-M. puppet memories were not from TV but from live performances at shopping malls, fairs, places like that. I got to see a hippo ballerina marionette, boy & girl hand puppets swinging to “Hey, Good Lookin’, Whatcha Got Cookin’?,” and a little dude with a manner reminiscent of Beauregard’s who sang

I tried to kiss my girlfriend
Ah-when she wasn’t peekin’
But I missed ‘er mouth and I kissed ‘er nose
And the doggone thing was leakin’.

But (although I’ve forgotten a few little details, such as, oh... what it was called!), there was one live puppet show presented for children that really stuck in my mind because it was so twisted. But then, I was a twisted kid, so I went for that sort of thing.

This particular show featured a salesman demonstrating a vacuum cleaner that not only moved on its own, but also sang Johnny Mathis tunes. The lady of the house asked how much it cost, and he replied, “Your first born child.” Before he told her he was just kidding, she readily agreed to this price and called her little boy into the room.

The main storyline, though, was about a germ that started off germ-sized but kept growing and growing and GROWING until finally it was a person in a giant furry dark germ costume who lumbered out from behind the stage. I remember a lot of children in the audience who (a) were younger than I was, (b) sat closer to the stage, and (c) are probably still in therapy to this day.

Does anyone, by some chance, know anything more about this hallucination-in-the-felt from the early- to mid- 1980s? (This was in northern West Virginia; I don’t know if the group, whoever they were, toured nationally.) (Or, have you seen and loved any other puppet kiddie shows that made it seem like the people in charge were born in the Land of Gorch?) I’m really curious. I’m still a twisted kid.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Only non-henson thing I watched was "Allegra's Window" and Weinerville or something like that. And that Stick Guy who used to be on Nickelodeon.:zany:

Magellan

Reaction score
Eureka'a Castle Rocked my scoks off! Magellean was my favorite hence my username, but my dad used to always call me Cuddie (magellean's dog)

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
My fav. non-Henson puppet shows(past and present):
  • Kukla,Fran and Ollie(I had a Kukla puppet at age 4)
  • The Great Space Coaster
  • Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Weinerville
  • The Puzzle Place
  • Crank Yankers
  • Eureka's Castle
  • Between the Lions
  • Alf

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
HR Pufffnstuff
......Hey, I just realized that's probably where my subconscience got the name for my company, www.puppetsnstuff.com. Very interesting.

Where was I? Right,..... HR Puffnstuff,
Kukla, Fran and Ollie,
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood,
& Thunderbirds,​
Wow. Really showing my age here.​

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
I worked for the guys who are selling it, and saw the costume up close while I was out in LA. It DID look great and I was in awe at seeing it, being such a fan and all. But it's interesting that it's asking price is so high, considering the fact Sid and Marty Kroft (the creators of the show) only paid the man who originally built and designed ALL of the characters for HR Pufnstuf, about 50 bucks for his services. As I said in another thread, the puppetry biz can be pretty unfair at times. In other words, puppetry aint pretty.​

minor muppetz

Reaction score
growing up

My favorite non-henson puppet shows while growing up were mister rogers neighborhood and weinerville. more recently, my favorites are Cousin Skeeter and Greg the Bunny.