Favorite non-Henson puppet shows growing up

beaker

Reaction score
In the last ten years weve seen a various amount of prime time puppet shows. There was Greg the bunny, I think Crank Yankers is still on. A decade ago there was a prime time puppet show on USA network, as well as My Cousin Skeet.

But what were your favorite non JH related puppet shows?

Mine were:

Great Space Coaster
Buster and Me
Today's Special

Didnt get much into Eureka's Castle tho.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I remember growing up with a local show on Q13 FOX that had ranger host and a puppet co-host -- Roscoe Raccoon.

I got to go to a McDonalds once where they showed up for some sponsoring that little kids are so succeptable to and I think meeting the puppet in person and seeing the puppeteer behind him was one of the most fascinating of my childhood memories. I remember that event distinctly. So Kev, wherever you are on here, I really admire what you do for Ronald McDonald house, and every time you show up to one of those events you really are having a life-long effect on those kids.

Sorry for the emotional tangent, but yeah -- local FOX kids' show.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I absolutly loved Eureka's Castle as a kid. I remember watching the Don't Touch that Box special over and over again. It's been a long time since I've seen that show though.

zoetrope

Reaction score
Well, when I was a kid there was the Friendly Giant, Kukla Fran and Ollie, Captain Kangaroo, and Mr. Rogers, all of which used puppets to one extent or another, and all which I liked. Then when I was 4 a new show started that blew them all away, called Sesame Street. :stick_out_tongue:

teebs

Reaction score
I loved Eureka's Castle. Magellan rocks. :smile:

I also did the Barney thing...:eek: :embarrassed: I watched Puzzle Place too. And if we're counting Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo, I watched those.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Growing up? ALF
Since so called adulthood? Greg the Bunny

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
I've always had a special place for "The Great Bong" (and no, it's not to do with a certain plant-smoking device - LOL). It was a show overseas (I wish it were available over here!) that a certain former-Hensonite...Karen Prell, helmed along with her husband, Mike (as far as I can remember). Great, great show! I just wish it would come over to the States...that and I wish I could remember more about it...oh well...great, great, great! That's my pick.

>Adam

SesameKermie

Reaction score
What about H.R. Puffnstuff?

He wasn't strictly a puppet show, but I was fascinated by freddie the flute and the costuming on Witchie-Poo and others.

Whatever

Reaction score
I used to watch Captain Kangaroo. I don't remember much about it, but I know Richard Hunt wanted to work for it before he joined the Muppets.

Iokitek

Reaction score
I grew up in the Netherlands. So it was different for me. Besides the regular Sesame Street and The Fraggles etc. I used to watch Dutch puppetshows. Here's a few of them:

1} De Bereboot (The Bearboat)
http://home.concepts.nl/~lwmkeijs/ned/bb014.htm
This was a show about bears on a boat. The main focus was on the first mate. That's the little black bear with white hair. I was very little when I watched this so I don't remember much of it. But Nickelodeon is airing it again at night here. So I'm capturing them all with my PC :smile: There were a total of 407 episodes made apparently. But I doubt Nick will air them all again.

2) De Fabeltjeskrant. (The Fable Cronicle ... or something)
http://www.fabeltjesweb.nl/personages/personages.html
[just klick on the links to see the characters]
The main Character in this show was an owl. Mr. Owl ofcourse :stick_out_tongue: He was the host so to speak. The rest of the cast were all kinds of animals living in the forest. I was abit older already when I watched this show so I remember it better. It was a good show and I hope they'll start airing it again soon. Because it was an important part of Dutch TV history.

3) Paulus De Boskabouter (Paulus The Forestgnome)
http://members.lycos.nl/yellowbrickroad/hobbies23.html
I was also very young when I watched this show so I don't remember it very well either. But the puppets looked ok I guess and I do remember watching it every time. I recently posted a link to a site of a new Dutch TV show called Lila Land. If I'm correct the same person who does that show was also responsible for this one. Paulus was already an old character from a comicbook "brought to life" for a TV series.

4) Liegebeest (don't know if there even is an exact translation, but in short it means: liar)
I could not find a site with any pictures of this series. But it was aired in Belguim. This made it extra strange because they also speak Dutch but very differently. It made it abit eerie to watch at times. But looking back on it I vagely remember what the puppets looked like and I guess it was a good show. If anyone can find a link with pictures for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that I watched the Dutch and German Sesame Street wich have their own characters designed specifically for those countries by the Henson people. And I watched some Spitting Image translated into Dutch when I was little. This was originally a British charicature puppet show doing political satire etc. But some of it was translated for children. I remember watching the story of Dr. Frankenstein once for instance. They were especially good at grossing people out.

Well that's it for now. If I can come up with anything else I'll let you all know :smile: I've been thinking about making a site dedicated to Dutch puppetry for awhile now. We have quite a history and there aren't many websites about this.