Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
I think any releases or products would say something like "Walt Disney Pictures Presents Jim Henson's The Muppets" or "Disney Home Entertainment Presents Jim Henson's The Muppets", similar to how Christmas Carol and Treasure Island were titled and released.

(You don't see Disney's ESPN, or Disney presents Jay & Silent Bob, Disney's The Bachlor; although they do own them). Yes "Disney" will now be on Muppet Items, but they will not remove the Jim Henson from the title.
Well, usually Disney puts their "stamp" on stuff that actually comes from their "Walt Disney" units: Disney Pictures, Television, Channel. ABC, ABC Family (Power Rangers), ESPN, and Miramax won't have "Walt Disney's..." all over them. And since, according to the April 28 press release, the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House are operated under Disney Consumer Products, expect to see a "Disney" splattered on them somewhere.

Whether future products will have the "Jim Henson" signature logo is up to Disney and Henson. Disney now completely owns the Muppets. The Jim Henson Company (or Legacy) separately owns the "Jim Henson" logo.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I think the Jim Henson will stay, but a Disney may be added to. Many things I read said Disney bought "Jim Henson's Muppets", not "The Muppets" I think "Jim Henson's" is part of the brand name Disney bought. Also Disney has been using the "Muppet Holding Comany" title instead of Disney for things so far, I think they are trying to keep the two slightly seperate. It's hard to tell what they'll do, and I don't think their is anything we can do. So I guess all we can do is sit back and wait.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
I think any releases or products would say something like "Walt Disney Pictures Presents Jim Henson's The Muppets" or "Disney Home Entertainment Presents Jim Henson's The Muppets", similar to how Christmas Carol and Treasure Island were titled and released.

I don't think Disney will brand the whole franchise with the "Disney" title. Although the Walt Disney Corperation owns the characters and works the WDC owns many other things that they don't stick their name on. (You don't see Disney's ESPN, or Disney presents Jay & Silent Bob, Disney's The Bachlor; although they do own them). They will probally stick a logo on products, and a tag in the billing of any productions. But the "Disney" will not out power any more than the Universial, MGM, Columbia Pictures, Disney, or other production companies in the other Muppet productions and creations. Yes "Disney" will now be on Muppet Items, but they will not remove the Jim Henson from the title.
Very VERY true! You dont see Disney's ESPN or Disney's The Power Rangers. Its nice to know Disney Will stil have "Jim Henson" still tagged on tho! :smile:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Many things I read said Disney bought "Jim Henson's Muppets", not "The Muppets" I think "Jim Henson's" is part of the brand name Disney bought.
No, it's not. Disney did not buy the "Jim Henson" brand name as part of the deal, they bought the "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House" and everything associated with them. "Muppets" and "Bear," like "Fraggle Rock" and other shows, were created by The Jim Henson Company, thus the JH logo and the phrase "Jim Henson's Muppets."

IF you do see "Jim Henson's" on future products, it would most likely be because of an arrangement between the two companies, not because Henson and Disney suddenly share ownership of the "Jim Henson" brand name.

A Mickey Muppet: >>You dont see Disney's ESPN or Disney's The Power Rangers.<<

Once again, they are not from the "Walt Disney" unit(s). When you see the "Disney's" brand on certain programs and products, they are not referring to Disney Corporate. If Dimension Films' "Spy Kids" was released under the Walt Disney Pictures banner, you would have seen "Disney's Spy Kids" or "Walt Disney Pictures Presents Spy Kids" and endless promotion on Disney Channel. And they would surely put a "Walt Disney Pictures Presents..." on the top of posters for future Muppet movies.

beaker

Reaction score
He's right...usually Disney keeps some sort of seperation. Its funny how much Disney has incorporated Pixar into Disney canon...can Pixar ever cameo 1995-2005 characters again in upcoming NON Disney films? No idea.

Remember, it USED to be(back in the glory days) Jim Henson's Sesame Muppets(tm), and JH presents Fraggle Rock Muppets(tm)(just look at any older FR official vhs, or older Sesame kid's book)

So yeah, August and still no word at all what's going down with this thing.
Hopefully something this Flal more will come to announcement about Disney's plans. I wonder if JHC could truly launch some sort of FR interest renewal with HIT.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
beaker said:
So yeah, August and still no word at all what's going down with this thing.
Hopefully something this Flal more will come to announcement about Disney's plans.
Dear God, I hope so.

King Jim

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
Its nice to know Disney Will stil have "Jim Henson" still tagged on tho! :smile:
Thats good. Jim Henson created them and no one can take his name away.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Again, we don't know. Disney did not buy "Jim Henson's" as part of the deal. It's up to Henson and Disney.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
A Mickey Muppet: >>You dont see Disney's ESPN or Disney's The Power Rangers.<<

Once again, they are not from the "Walt Disney" unit(s). When you see the "Disney's" brand on certain programs and products, they are not referring to Disney Corporate. If Dimension Films' "Spy Kids" was released under the Walt Disney Pictures banner, you would have seen "Disney's Spy Kids" or "Walt Disney Pictures Presents Spy Kids" and endless promotion on Disney Channel. And they would surely put a "Walt Disney Pictures Presents..." on the top of posters for future Muppet movies.
BoyRaisin2, sorry IF i confused ya.... i was refuring to the post there that you DONT see "Disney's" attatched to ESPN, Power Rangers, or Spy Kids! There Disney owned but under diff "Disney Brands" like ESPN (c) espn, Power Rangers (c) BVS and Spy Kids (c) Dimension films :wink: .... see i DO know my Disney stuff :smirk:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I know you know your Disney stuff. I'm not talking about that. I am referring to THE "Disney" brand. When you see that, it's not referring to "assets of The Walt Disney Company" like ESPN or Miramax or Touchstone. It's attached to stuff coming from Walt Disney Pictures, Disney Channel, Disney Home Video, or the parks. "Disney," however immortal a name that is, is just as much a brand or asset of The Walt Disney Company as the other ones are.

That is WHY you are right when you say we don't see Disney's ESPN or Disney's Power Rangers.