Custom figures and dioramas

Dearth

Reaction score
I found this custom backstage playset on Google, and now I can't help but want to give it a shot myself. The guy is a genius when it comes to miniatures.

http://lancecardinal.blogspot.com/2011/03/scratch-built-palisades-muppet-theatre.html
[/quote]

Isn't it amazing? Someone sent me the link via Micechat while MuppetCentral was down for the server change, and I was champing at the bit to be able to post about it. I sent Lance some emails that weekend and he's about to start making his own custom figures, too. Can't wait to see what he comes up with!

I didn't want anyone to mistake my praise of his creation as my own work, so I started talking about it in its own thread here in the Action Figures heading...
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=52794

Best of all, Lance himself has now joined MC forums-- he's "Wachusk"-- and posted in that one, so you may want to continue this discussion there to make sure he sees what you have to say.

(A second thread on the same topic was started later by someone else, and the two may get combined by the mods.)

I finished my ... custom Robin,
... i know the links don't work, because I don't know how to post photos. :sympathy:
Hopefully a photo posting option will be one of the future upgrades here at MC now that the server change is completed. In the meantime, I post mine to a different customizing forum (Rebelscum.com) and then link them here.

After you find a photo-hosting site, email me and I will advise you how to add the links.

Judging from the new avatar, though, your Robin looks great. I'm amazed how fast you got him done. Wasn't that more satisfying than letting someone else do the work?

Alex

rowlfy662

Reaction score
oh cool to see me might be starting making figures although i will have to find his house if the first figure he comes out with is sal :smile:

Dearth

Reaction score
Baskerville?

Judging from the color and consistency, looks like you're using regular white Sculpey.

I tend to call my preferred medium simply "Sculpey" but technically it's "Super Sculpey". I hope my shorthand didn't cause you to purchase the wrong materials.

Regular white Sculpey has a much more liquid/creamy makeup and I find it hard to avoid leaving fingerprints in it as I work.

Super Sculpey is pink in color and has a consistency very similar to the plasticine modeling clay that I used as a kid, which is when/where I taught myself additive sculpting.

I always wished there was a way to freeze plasticine clay permanently, without shrinkage, so Super Sculpey is a great fit for my purposes.

Having said that, check out Lance Cardinal's blog, the one where he posted the Muppet Theatre playset. Follow the links to his Nightmare Before Christmas figurines... wow.

He made those with wire armatures and Model Magic, a substance that I tried once and quickly abandoned because I couldn't do diddley-squat with it.

So I guess the 'right material' is really in the eyes of the individual artist.

Alex