BOO! The "What Scared You Today?" Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed that a few people are finding me on YouTube... via deviantART... which is... I just don't get it... I can't remember ever linking people from dA to my YT... hmm...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------
Bizarre nightmare this morning. Something about witnessing a group of shady monsters masquerading as humans, carrying out a policy of silencing others while driving around what looked like an old London neighborhood in weird hearse-trucks. One of the monsters realized I'd seen too much and chased me through one of the deserted houses; during the chase I suddenly saw a vulnerability in one of the monsters' floating blue heads, and turned the tables and chased it. However, IN the dream I then "woke up" and was shocked when I understood it had all been a trap for me, that they'd erased part of my memory so I no longer knew what the whole plan was, and that they'd ripped out my insides and stuffed me full of crumpled newspaper instead.

Okay, yeah, sounds funny from here. In the dream I was screaming and woke up -- for real finally-- gasping...and with my cat's back feet in my face. He'd hogged my entire pillow. Yeesh.
-----------------------------------------------------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
China is promoting pole dancing as an exercize regiment... for MEN...

:eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think Anne Hathaway has just reminded us why white people can't rap. :eek:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------------------------
To preface: I have a deep and abiding revulsion for bugs. This is not a phobia; phobias are irrational by definition. I have a lifetime of involuntary empirical data-gathering behind this statement: bugs are out to get me.

As a kid in Tampa, giant roaches are pretty much part of life, especially if you live in a circa-1910 home with no insulation to speak of. I won't list all the many times roaches bugged me, but here's a sampling: imagine having really, really poor vision, and going downstairs in a big spooky house without your glasses in the middle of the night for a drink of water. You hear whirring noises, and then about the time you realize the roaches are FLYING over the stairs you feel one brush your cheek... Or, you're laying in bed early on a weekend morn, comfortably sprawled out with a book on your pillow, reading. As the gentle morning light touches your pages, so does an enormous bug walking right across them inches from your face... Or, you're reaching for a cup in the cupboard. So is a roach. Your fingers and its feelers touch...
Or, as a young adult, you like to keep a glass of water handy on the nightstand. The roach perched on the edge of the glass as your lips touch it in the dark likes it too...

Any questions so far on the accuracy of my hypothesis??

There are numerous other examples I could share but those are some of the ones which marked me for life as a bug-hater, and not just from childhood.

So...a couple of nights ago I finally had the chance to watch the dvd of "Deathly Hallows" (I can rarely afford movies in the theatre, and rely on dvds). I was psyched up. I had a drink and a snack and it was late at night; turned out all my room lights except for a pumpkin-scented candle in my haunted house luminaria; put my headphones on so the housemates wouldn't be disturbed and cued it up on my laptop. I was thoroughly engrossed in the film. RIGHT AT the scene where Harry opens the locket and Ron is poised to attack the bit-o-Voldemort billowing out of it -- my peripheral vision catches a large bug landing on my bed and trucking toward my bare leg!

Uh, yeah. Stuff pretty much went everywhere. And though I turned all the lights on and searched I never DID find the bug, though I got a look at it before flinging it away from me: one of those nasty big stinkbeetles they have here in the southwest. Ugh, ugh, ugh! Where's a giant spider when you could actually USE one!!
------------------------------------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better (ant it probably wont), I seem to be tormented by bugs, even dead ones seem like they are after me. I am a bug magnet. They will always target me, even in a group of people. Today I found a dead roach in my dorm, but I think I might have stepped on it and tracked it in with my shoe.

Stupid roaches are so common in the south east -_-

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've had an encounter with a flying cockroach before (yes, there really are flying cockroaches, just like there actually are some flying ants out there)... it was in my old aparment a couple of years ago (the entire complex had bug problems, but then again, the complex was erected in the 70s, and wasn't maintained very well, and was mostly occupied by seedy characters): I had my overhead fan on, and in midflight, it suddenly kept flying around and around and around and around and around with the fan, like it was racing it or something.

German roaches (the brown ones) are the worst, they really breed like bunnies.

And Sarge is right, now just roaches, but bugs of all kinds are a problem in the southeast: roaches, bees, wasps, flies, mosquitoes, gnats, ants, chiggers, crickets, katydids, cicadas (jar flies as we call them), ear wigs, silverfish, this year we had a big stinkbug epidemic.

Nick22

Reaction score
There was a gigantic cricket in my room the other night....NO ME GUSTA

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------------------
Crickets I can handle, especially the soft brown ones. Used to feed those to my pet lizard when I had one...and they make EXCELLENT live cat toys! :eek:

------------------------------------

TSSD

Reaction score
This stupid Hurricane. I live on Long Island, in Nassau County, and just the uncertainty is killing me. I don't know where it'll hit, how bad it'll hit, it's basically scaring me so much I can barely sleep! The latest predictions are predicting the center to get REALLY close to my house, which is basically scaring the sh*t out of me. And even if we do leave the house we'd probably still stay on Long Island, which, considering the uncertainty, could be just as dangerous! And even if we are safe, what if something happens to my house?? I know it's a stupid thought, but I'm worried about all the stuff in the house, and what could happen to it! I'm just freaking out so much!!!!! Oh, and just for the record, I did try watching the Hurricane episode of Sesame Street, and not even THAT helped!!! I'm just so freaking scared.