Are Statler and Waldorf friends or brothers?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
Barry people around here are thinking that because Waldorf is married to Astoria, who looks like Statler, she must be Statler's sister.

People can't seem to understand the joke about that.

Once agian there is nothing backing up that Statler and Astoria are brother and sister. Meaning that Statler and Waldorf are not, I repeat are not, btother in laws.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Astoria
Yeah, but that doesn't mean we can't hypothesize/imagine. That's part of the fun of being a Muppet fan!

-Kim

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Balcony Barnacles

As one of my science teachers once said, it's almost impossible to prove a negative. In other words, you could prove that you DIDN'T do something, but you cannot prove that you NEVER WILL.

As so many have stated in so many different and differing ways, since we were never told either way on the subject, Statler and Waldorf COULD BE brothers-in-law, COULD BE brothers (if their mother remarried or if one of them changed his name) or COULD BE just two old coots with the same nasty sense of humor. In others words, argue away--there's no way to prove either side of this argument, so nobody gets to claim "winsies."

The two balcony barnacles were named after two famous New York hotels, the Waldorf and the Statler. The Waldorf Astoria is a renowned New York luxury hotel in midtown Manhattan which offers elegant accommodations and many, many amenities. At one time, I believe it was the largest hotel in the world. Since the men were named after hotels, it must have seemed funny to our muppeteers to turn the luxury hotel the Waldorf-Astoria (now known as the Waldorf=Astoria) into Waldorf's wife, Astoria Waldorf. (All I can say is thank goodness she didn't hyphenate her name!)

Affectionately, Ru
(who is sometimes obsessive about things and actually researched this for "Kermie's Girl," since Statler, Waldorf, Astoria and the as yet un-named Mrs. Statler appear in that story.) By-the-by--anyone want to make a suggestion for Mrs. Statler's first name? I'm open-minded.

Abb Green

Reaction score
Prepare for a complicated theory!

Well, I think that Statler and Waldorf are brothers but don't know it! Maybe Statler and Astoria are twins seperated at birth! They were seperated for reasons unknown and when Waldorf first met Astoria he noticed the resembalance between her and Statler but didn't think much of it! So when he married her, Statler and Waldorf became brothers with realizing!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Prepare for a complicated theory!

Well, I think that Statler and Waldorf are brothers but don't know it! Maybe Statler and Astoria are twins separated at birth! They were separated for reasons unknown and when Waldorf first met Astoria he noticed the resemblance between her and Statler but didn't think much of it! So when he married her, Statler and Waldorf became brothers with realizing!
LOL That is a funny hypothesis. But the cutest thing about it is that it really is plausibly possible that it may have happened that way. :big_grin:

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
I like that theory, Abb Green :big_grin:
My thought is that both are old childhood friends who are as inseparable as twins.