Animaniacs

Drtooth

Reaction score
You could say the same for Rugrats.

That's what always gets my goat. Everyone decries new projects that aren't their favorite show for not being their favorite show, yet if their favorite show were to come back with new episodes, they'd decry it because it's not the same. It's totally unwinnable.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be exactly the same, I just want the original voices and characters, that's about it.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Sure. I've heard talk about a new Brady Bunch series. Not to mention MacFarlane's unmade Flinstones series, and another reboot of The Little Rascals that will be out this year. It's not easy to redo any of these, and chances are fans won't be pleased with them.
Edit: Ziffled

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be exactly the same, I just want the original voices and characters, that's about it.
So you don't care if they ruin the rugrats as long as the voice actors are the same?

Once a show is past its prime, its hard to bring it back. There's a difference between "The same" and "similar." If a show is the same, it will get boring pretty fast. If its
"similar" then fans will scream about how they ruined it. You CANNOT please fans. I mean, just look at half the people here. You STILL have people who whine aboout the muppets not being what they used to be. And the muppets never will.

A show's real quality is never taken into account by fans. They are too jaded with nostalgia goggles on that half the time they can't see the show for what it really is.

It happens all the time with remakes of movies. "WAAA! THEY RUINED IT!!! IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL!" Pffft. If a remake was going to be like the original then they would have. Reboot is a better term. I can't stand "remake" because people confuse it with "an updated version only its exactly like before."

Take Halloween. Rob Zombie's REBOOT was pretty much universally hated by people because it threw out pretty much everything about the original series. But if you remove any connection to the original movie, it's a pretty good slasher film that even goes into the psychological side of things. Then again, I'm a fan of slashers so maybe that's a not a good example coming from me, but I hope I got my point across...

I'll just retreat before this thread derails any more...I just had to rant because if there is one thing I hate, it's people who complain about tv shows nowadays sucking and people who complain about remakes and reboots sucking because they compare it to the original and not on its own merit. It's sort of my berserk button :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sure. I've heard talk about a new Brady Bunch series. Not to mention MacFarlane's unmade Flinstones series, and another reboot of The Little Rascals that will be out this year. It's not easy to redo any of these, and chances are fans won't be pleased with them.
Edit: Ziffled
The Flintstones thing is either extremely pushed back or just plain not going to happen. And the thing is, it would have to be insanely horrible to be the worst thing associated with The Flintstones. The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show and Cave Kids have already beat them to it.

Once a show is past its prime, its hard to bring it back. There's a difference between "The same" and "similar." If a show is the same, it will get boring pretty fast. If its
"similar" then fans will scream about how they ruined it. You CANNOT please fans. I mean, just look at half the people here. You STILL have people who whine aboout the muppets not being what they used to be. And the muppets never will.

A show's real quality is never taken into account by fans. They are too jaded with nostalgia goggles on that half the time they can't see the show for what it really is.
That has, and always will, drive me nuts. Sometimes a show getting canceled is, sadly, a good thing for the show because it never has the chance to become old and stale and Flanderized. I hear TMNT gets a lot of flack for not being the old series. And here's the thing. The old series got very stale in its 3rd season (yet also had some of the greatest episodes... go fig), and fans really hate the European Vacation episodes and some (like me) really hate the 10th season. 2K3 Turtles and Nick Turtles, while good shows in their own right get flack for not being extra episodes of a series that lasted 10 seasons. And if they were, they'd get flack for being the same thing and not different.

And yet, no on can enjoy any new properties of new characters because they're completely different. If the nostalgia heads had their way, we'd only have reruns rerun all day. That wouldn't make any money, people who were inspired by these shows wouldn't get any work... it is rather selfish.

That said, original voices for Rugrats... you know that's impossible because Christine Cavanaugh retired due to very dark personal matters a decade ago, right?

Back to Animaniacs... If anything, I'd love to see some sort of DTV animated movie or something. I think they can manage to get that much done. Completely doubt it would happen, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That said, original voices for Rugrats... you know that's impossible because Christine Cavanaugh retired due to very dark personal matters a decade ago, right?
Uh... no... dare I ask what that is all about?

But that probably explains why they ended up recasting Candi Milo as Dexter... maybe Kath Soucie can step up to the plate, sometimes her voices can sound similar to Christine Cavanaugh, or maybe even Nancy Cartwright.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... no... dare I ask what that is all about?
Very dark personal stuff. It had to do with a very bad divorce or something... I don't remember the details. But it is a very personal thing, and it's to be respected.

They'd probably go with Nancy Cartwright, since she was the voice of Chuckie on that Tween version of the show.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Very dark personal stuff. It had to do with a very bad divorce or something... I don't remember the details. But it is a very personal thing, and it's to be respected.

They'd probably go with Nancy Cartwright, since she was the voice of Chuckie on that Tween version of the show.
Cartwright was also "Chuckie" during the last few seasons of "Rugrats", so yes, they probably would go with her.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Well, as long as the show isn't even close to as bad as new Spongebob, I'm happy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
,,,And third piece of the enfuriating puzzle. Nothing can be a long runner.

So in short, we can't have anything new (Frog forbid)

we can't have comebacks

and we CERTAINLY can't have anything lasting more than 3 years because it gets stale.

I'm really starting to HATE Nostalgia heads.

Anyway, back to the topic. Here's something I found out, noodling around...

According to Tom Rugger's Blog There were multiple Animaniacs movie treatments written up when the show was still on. All of them are on his blog. Other than the one posted...

A Christmas movie
Hooray for Hollywood (which was turned into the 2 part episodes of the similar name)
A Revolutionary War movie
Road to Bohemia: A Movie that in a roundabout way would turn into Wakko's Wish
And An Oliver Twist retelling

Wandering Warners We sounds like the best of the bunch. Especially for the fourth Warner Brother that was so terrible, they kicked him out of the film.