"A Special Sesame Street Christmas" coming to DVD and CD November 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I know there was a Ernie and Bert sketch where Ernie sings Oprah out the window to find what time it is and there a voice that can be heard "ERNIE, Shut Up!"

And was it Miles? Or who was that Young guy from the 90s Sesame with the backwards baseball cap with those cool blue sway shoes. Was there an episode where there was racist on the phone and he was telling Telly that he was a jerk or something? I seen a clip of that on the A&E Sesame Documentry or Sesame Unpaved. Did that even air?

Also an early 1970 Ernie and Bert sketch, Ernie has his own Barber shop and Bert said what Ernie was doing was so Stupid.

Big Bird called Mr Hooper Mr. Pooper once.

So I guess that joins the list of rare Sesame Moments.

Sesame must have said something like jerk on the 25th Aniversary Special, the one where they satirize Donald Trump for trying to cancel Sesame Street and PBS, they called him Ronald Dump. I didn't get the refference until I was transmiting my old tape my grandmother must have taped off of TV from me to DVD a few years back. I was like, Satire on Sesame? Hmm, Interesting. lol He was working with Benny Bunny. Kevin's rare character you just don't see anymore.
Another word often used in early episodes, "ding-a-ling". Not to mention Scoop's suggestion of a title for what eventually became Sesame Street ("Hey, Stupid").

The racist episode that you're referring to was about somebody calling Hooper's store and making a comment about Gina and Savion hanging out together. Gina and Savion told the caller off. More details can be found here:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_3140

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this special was produced by CBS, not Sesame Workshop.

Very interesting that we'll see not only a DVD release on November 6, but a CD release as well. It will be interesting to hear if the soundtrack is from the mono video mix or if a stereo soundtrack is still in existence.

As a sidebar, this special is very memorable for me personally. It was the first program I ever recorded on a VCR back in 1978. My grandparents got an RCA VHS recorder that looked like this and was around $1000 at the time. Blank tapes were $20. My how times have changed.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
wow! i may get this...ive seen some of it, just Big bird and Oscar.....GOD thank GOD theres NO elmo on this or the cover YOOO HOOO!!! :excited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to temporarily interrupt the discussion once more just to say... sometimes I miss having that goatee... :dreamy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've always seen this as similar to the Star Wars holiday special. Very typically '70s, to have a meandering plot, a bunch of random celebrity cameos and several "what the heck were they thinking" moments, lol.

But I'll probably buy it if it is available, or at least ask a relative if they'd be so kind. I just have a weakness for anything retro and like others have said, at least Elmo doesn't dominate, hehe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, this special was produced by CBS, not Sesame Workshop.
Which is, by the way, the only reason this thing's getting released over far superior specials like Stars and Streets Forever and Let Him Eat Cake (the one where Cookie eats ALL of Sesame Street rather than eat Big Bird's cake). Even that one Oscarfan mentioned, Out To Lunch. Please tell me someone besides SW who is willing to release it on DVD owns it. Same with the Julie Andrews special.

I'd rather a release of every guessing game episode in the past few seasons and watch it on marathon than this.

Trust me.

Those who haven't seen it, you DON'T want to see it. You're better off. it's just not good at all, Big Bird and Oscar are barely in character... Oscar seems pretty Flanderized, actually. This was done by people who have no knowledge of Sesame Street at all, and the fact that the "celebrities" go almost out of their way to not sing Christmas Music is ridiculous in and of itself. And the one dude you WANT to hear sing (Michael Jackson) doesn't. It's such a shame that's the only brush he had with The Muppets. The waste of that alone is maddening.

It's not even good in a so bad it's good way. it's just bad. Stick to the superior, and more heart felt Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. There's a reason why that's a beloved classic, and this isn't.

I've always seen this as similar to the Star Wars holiday special. Very typically '70s, to have a meandering plot, a bunch of random celebrity cameos and several "what the heck were they thinking" moments, lol.
That one is WORSE! The guy who created Jar Jar Binks thinks it's an embarassment. What does that tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.